Sub $15,000 Toyota/Lexus (03-09?) V8 SUV suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! I never realized just how much vehicle you get for your money with some of those LX and GX SUV's until I started browsing 2003-2006 cars interiors and leather that is in better condition the that of well mantained 7 year old Nissan, Chrysler, GM products. Maybe Toyota contracted Khan to choose some fine Corinthian leather or something.

Just be aware of pros and contras of various elements of suspension through the year models: pneumatic, hydro-pneumatic, KDSS, etc. Landcruiser of the same MY is priced higher than Lexus (actually a benefit for me)
What the 'macho' perceptions are and how they manifest themselves in price/cost analysis - you will get the idea if you proceed slowly. Festina lente as Romans used to say. Americans are prone to follow fads like adolescents

Very good advice thanks again! I also noticed it's actually cheaper to go the Lexus route, You are probably right that it is some sort of macho thing, how quintessentially American... My plan is to purchase the SUV within the next six months or so which gives me plenty if time to full research the different suspension systems and diff options in the LX and GX models. I'm not a big fan of variable suspension systems so probably whatever least complicated or easiest to repair. Already planning to avoid the night vision windshield for cost and complexity unless the system can be bypassed if the glass needs to be replaced. Having sold cars in the past I am pretty particular about used ones and am going to be going over any potential candidates very carefully including paying a mechanic to inspect the undercarriage on a lift and hook up to it with a dealer level scan-tool for any and all codes plus using an electronic paint gauge and checking panel #'s, in addition to requiring it have meticulous maintenance records.

Thanks! Wow that's a nice confirmation of owners claims of LX and GX's reliability, based on those metrics they are among some of the most reliable vehicles ever built. I expect to have to replace some age related components but it seems like a rust free example will have no problem being on the road until it's eligible for QQ plates.

I have the base GX, adjustable dampers and airbag rear springs with all the sensors to control them...went through and updated the original system with OEM parts..the price for Lexus adjustable shocks and suspension gear is eye popping but there's a black chinese market at 1/3 the price and all OEM over on ebay.

I'd pu a BlueDriver and save yourself alot of time, later just run the live feature to monitor the engine vitals as you drive...pretty cool.

BlueDriver Scaner

BlueDriver is awesome! I've always hated the price of adjustable suspension components, good to know there's plenty of aftermarket support out there. I'm also not against putting Fj front springs and that Metaltech kit or similar in the rear. Compressors are for tires and tools, not suspension systems.

basically the same air bag spring system found on semi tractors for eons...works very well but like anything they need replacement once worn,, these 470's are all 11-17 yrs. old...

Honestly even the OEM+ Toyota/Lexus parts are practically reasonable compared to the stuff for Nissan/Infiniti FM platform cars or any BMW or even Mazda Speed3 & Speed6 stuff. A new Jatco 7at transmission from the dealer 8-$10k, they do not rebuild. A rebuild with a 12mo warranty at an independent transmission shop runs $4700-6k. Compare that to what you can put an new AISIN 5AT in for.

Didn't realize it was that same type of system as commercial stuff. 15 year old car like you said, kinda got to expect pneumatic failures like that. You're right, probably worth just investing in making the system right then with updated parts and so everything works as intended. Like I said I'm not rushing into this purchase, and when I buy it I will put a few grand into the vehicle getting it up to my standards.

As I go through updating the confidence builds..these 120's are really solid (own two), today I purchased new OEM rims to put the icing on the cake so to speak....now just deciding between Michelin Defender or Toyo Open Country HT/II tires, leaning toward the Toyo.

OEM Rims

[Linked Image]

Very sharp rig! Black, white and silver are the best colors on these and it looks really good on the OEM wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back