Sub $15,000 Toyota/Lexus (03-09?) V8 SUV suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate any input on a vehicle dilemma. As title says I am exploring getting an older but reliable frame on SUV for various job and life reasons including towing capacity as well as overall durability and versatility of the vehicle and a more accessible engine bay to do my own repairs and work when without access to a full garage. I also have a job opportunity in the next few months that may require something with true offload capability as well as putting 30k miles a year. Looking for something economical in terms of reliability and powertrain to keep on the road to 250,000 miles, with proper maintenance. My thought was to look for a $9,000-14,000 later first gen (03-09) 2-UZ Sequoia, GX,LX, ect with less 80-100k miles on it but I need input from people with more Toyota specific knowledge. Is the later UR engine better in the 09-10+? Is there a v6 I should be looking at? My current daily is a 12 g37x sedan that's admittedly over-maintained and stock other then OEM+ replacement parts, (Gates belt, AGM battery, mobil1 and Redline fluids Akebono pads, cryo rotors that type of thing) and a brace in the rear. I really enjoy driving and it has had zero issues so far, but it's getting up to almost 85k miles now and the Infiniti extended warranty is up in another year or at 102,000 in about a year and the cost of a transmission alone combined with late model Nissan/Renaults electronics makes me afraid to keep it longer then that even though I do love the car. Also working on it with the engine bay to do the alternator or water pump is a monster job on the X models without a lift. It is also fairly expensive to insure as people have a habit of driving Z/G cars badly. So that's where I am, appreciate any and all thoughts on this one. Thanks in advance.

I'd watch some of the Toyota/Lexus V8s in terms of engine bay room. I know of a couple of the SUVs are a bear to do any basic maintenance on them even with a lift. There's one that comes to my head that is extremely stupid in terms of an oil change, again don't remember which one since I don't see many come my way. I know some of these would turn me away instantly just do to that fact. But they seem to be very nice SUVs.

V8 SUV = Chevy or GMC. GMT800 Burb or Tahoe 100% if you actually want something older and reliable and aren't just saying that because Toyota resale is too high for a newer one.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the Toyota/Lexus V8's in their trucks/SUV's. A friend owns an older Tundra (2008) with 115,000 miles on it. Never an issue with the engine except for a water pump - the engine is so smooth and quiet. I owned a Lexus LS460 for five years (4.6 V8, direct injection with port injection) pretty reliable motor, although they did habe a valve spring recall on the earlier models (2007-2008). Took that thing to 178,000 miles without one single engine problem (although it did start consuming oil at the end - I blame the direct injection for that).

The 03-09 Toyota/Lexus engines are not direct injected and are known for their reliability...I consider them good value.

Not at all set on Toyota , I've just heard from several mechanics (not just Scotty Kilmer) that Toyota engines and transmissions are among the best, but I'm not by any means set on one. Chevy (or other GM brands) was pretty much all my family drove growing up, plus I helped my dad restore his 56 210 coupe as a kid and we did an engine swap on a neighbors 70 350 Nova when the original threw a rod, if I hadn't needed AWD I would have gotten a 05-06 Pontiac GTO instead of the G37 honestly. What years are the best? Are there specific ones with weak transmissions or electrical problems? Assume some came trims came with air suspension (which I don't want) ect. Any more info on the GMT800 would be appreciated,

GMT800 issues: Gauge cluster, steering shaft, transfer case pump rub on 4X4s, rear disk brakes on early models (they switched back to drums at some point) and I guess the 4L60 transmission. There are probably others that someone else can chime in on, my family only owned one GMT800 but three GMT400s.

My Dad had an 04 Sierra 1500 4X4 ECSB that was pretty reliable from 05-18. It had the steering shaft issue pretty much the entire time, the cluster went out twice I think (once under warranty). It was a great truck until the trans lines rusted out and he took it for a spin on the highway. 5.3 had nice power and got decent mileage. It had really soft suspension with a lot of body roll, but it had a cap on it and I never drove it with an open bed. It had a much softer ride than his 1997 GMC 2500LD 4X4 RCLB.

Wow 178,000! Congrats! The LS460 is an amazing car! Yeah I agree with what you said, it seems that the Toyota 2UZ and UR are very good engines, thanks for the info on the early DI ones recall, I will look out to make sure it was done if I go the Toyota route. I am worried the 2UZ might be a little lacking in power for some of the mountains I will encounter and I know the 4.6 UR will have zero issues there, that thing makes sweet power. I want to own a car or truck with one someday. I do need to look at the engine bay on one sans the covers and in person to get a better feel for what I'd be able to do myself on them. Thanks for the info!

Appreciate that info on the clearance and OC procedure on the later v8 models,you are correct. I assumed and well you know what that means.

Appreciate all that info, some of those are probably more serious potential weak spots then I want to deal with on a daily that I'm driving cross country and putting money and sweat equity into even if they are easy to work on. Also GM electronics from that generation ie sensors, radios ect tended to fail at higher rates then their Toyota counterparts at least from the trades I took when I sold cars.

carcomplaints.com may provide you some help.

Talk with some Toyota and Lexus mechanics.

Never buy the first year model when they have made major design changes.

I was sold on the GX470, like, really...LOL See my fleet.

Car Angel has some very informative YouTubes.

Last edited:
The GX470 keeps coming up for me, might be a little tight to work on but the balance of workmanship long term reliability, comfort and capability are a sweet deal for what I can get one for. Right now my g37 would be a clean trade for a good condition one 05-08 but in 5 yeas my Infiniti is a $3000 car the GX470 will still be worth $10k.

I have an 03 4runner limited with the 2uz V8, and full time 4wd. Currently at 245k miles and still runs like new. Only things that ever needed attention are regular wear and tear items. Zero engine issues, still on all the original accessories, and on its second timing belt and third set of spark plugs. I have towed about 4000lbs a few times with mine. It pulls it just fine, but you won't get any better than 10mpg with it.
The 2uz before 2005 and the addition of vvti is as bulletproof as it gets. Some have had issues with exhaust manifold cracking, but mine is still solid. The 05+ with vvti have been known to lose the secondary air pump and toyota had a recall on them for a specific date range. It is an expensive part to replace, or can be bypassed with a cheap block off plate and some wiring modifications. I have read it is recommended to just go ahead and do the bypass mod before the pump goes out. It will leave you in limp mode if it does go out. Also I have read some posts about the vvti components wearing out after 150k.
I don't know if there is enough high mileage UR engines to get a good idea if there is any issues with them, I doubt there is or will be with good maintenance.
The 4.0 v6 1GR is also a rock solid motor, the early models have been known to blow head gaskets. Fixed starting in 05. Also have read about some having timing chain stretch due to poor maintenance and lots of towing.
The GX470 is a great choice and value right now. I would assume they would be the least likely ones to have been abused or neglected over their years of usage.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Any more info on the GMT800 would be appreciated,

We had one, a 2004 Silverado 1500 extended with the 5.3. Ours was rear wheel drive. We bought it in 2010 for $12,000, and got $10,000 in 2014 from insurance when it was totaled. Had about 130,000 miles on it. The steering shaft had the clunk, and the cluster did die on it but GM covered that cost. Otherwise, it lived happily with nothing more than oil changes and gasoline. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

2UZ are millionaire engines in terms of mileage. If you look at LX470 or GX470 in Lexus skin, research what differences year models have: VVT or without it, different transmission choices for various years, TPMS or none, etc. Those are 100 and 120 series Toyota vehicles. 200k miles for an asphalt rider is a break-in mileage.

I have the 1UR-FE in my truck; seems ok, if not a bit "not enough" if a large truck. The UR's seem to have water pump issues, and most importantly, cam tower oil leaks. Seem ok otherwise. Starter replacements (which should be infrequent) are not a minor job. Not sure what transmission you'd have but it'd be sealed--minor deal for a shop, but many DIY'ers dislike because there is no dipstick to check ATF level. Cheap Toyota Techstream knockoff's on Ebay can make talking to the car (via the OBDII port) easy and cheap; you should be able to reprogram TPMS sensors via this tool.

Thanks for all that info! Really appreciate the details, yeah those GX470's look a little outdated but man they have some great parts and specs for the price. Something about an oversquare iron block Toyota v8 sans vvt that sounds very tempting and it doesn't hurt I'm seeing clean examples for $10k.

Thanks! I'm sold on a 2UZ GX or LX Lexus now over the UR models and GM is out. Those early 2000's GX's and LX's are a steal for the 4x4 tech, engine, interior and build quality. Rather have a little less power for more reliability, and still have a vehicle that is still upscale enough to tour clients in. Plus it is an iron block and that is always tempting to the old school hot rod enthusiast kid in me. I think I want to seek out an 04 LX or GX470 because it has an "upgraded" transmission and hitch with higher tow capacity (any idea if the trans is actually sealed or can I still change the fluid?) but it doesn't have VVT or the electronic throttle control. Thanks again, appreciate the info.

Thanks for the experience with the 1UR, really appreciate it. Also appreciate the info on the transmissions, not having a dipstitck for it isn't a big deal so long as the fluid can still be changed.Probably gonna go with an 04 with the upgraded trans and tow hitch but no VVT or electronic throttle control if I can find a clean one with good records in my budget, but so far I've seen a few good candidates. It's amazing how much "value" the early 2000's high end Toyota Lexus products still are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back