00 Camry V6 - Was the t-belt changed?

I just picked up a clean 2000 Camry LE V6 with 232K from the original owners.
Factory alloy wheels, power driver seat and more. Interior is perfect, paint and body are excellent for a 21 year old car.
It does need struts... Pretty swimmy.
I am getting it ready for a needey family.
This car is in great shape; professionally maintained.
I have a service record for a timing belt service at 88K, but nothing since. That's the better part of 150K miles ago...
Owners said they think it was done again maybe 6 months ago, but they are not sure.

Plugs and leaky valve cover gaskets were recently done, but I don't know about timing belt.
Some shops put a label under the hood, but there is nothing here.
Car idles rock solid and runs buttery smooth. I just drove it 90 miles from Petaluma to Los Gatos. Lotsa traffic at the GG Bridge in in the City.

So, is there a way to inspect the timing belt for wear? I appreciate your help.
1619314402815.png

1619314439828.png

1619314557544.png

Last edited:
Remove the front upper timing cover, You'll be able to easily tell if it was done 6 months ago.

The 1MZ-FE uses a very robust belt, It's not unheard of for them to go 200,000-250,000 miles. But at that point it will need a Water Pump, Tensioner, Idlers, Cam Seals, Crank Seal & the Oil Pump re-sealed (There's an O-ring behind the pump that get's rock hard & leaks)

Remove the front upper timing cover, You'll be able to easily tell if it was done 6 months ago.

The 1MZ-FE uses a very robust belt, It's not unheard of for them to go 200,000-250,000 miles. But at that point it will need a Water Pump, Tensioner, Idlers, Cam Seals, Crank Seal & the Oil Pump re-sealed (There's an O-ring behind the pump that get's rock hard & leaks)

Cline how about the Toyota 4 cylinder timing belt from that era ?

Get the Sachs quick struts. They actually make them for your Camry :)

If Sachs is too expensive, there's always KYB

Were they still non-interference in 2000? If so, you don't have to worry about the timing belt :sneaky:

+1 on those belts running a long time. There's also the added bonus that all 1mzfe engines, even vvt-i ones, are non-interference. So if the belt goes, it will have a better chance of not causing damage to the engine or other parts. And, yes, the vvt-i ones are non-interference, according to the video below.

Last edited:
Is the V6 easier or harder to do the belt on? I did the I4 and being the first one I’ve ever done, thought it a bit of a pain... but what do I know.

Question being, yeah they changed the belt. Did they do WP and pulleys? I know if it was my car I’d be sorely tempted to redo so I would “know” that it was done right.

Sounds like a nice find, OP. Good luck.

A huge thanks for all the guidance. @The Critic is lending top notch support as well.
I was lucky to get the car for $1,200. These things go for $3,000+ in worse shape than this.
It even has a new set of StoneFire rubber and alignment! You don't see that in an old cheapo Camry.
I will flush the PS fluid and brake fluid and replace the dim headlight bulbs tomorrow.
If time permits, I will check the timing belt as well per your instructions.
I hope to deliver the car sometime next week.

I have tons of receipts. The shop is gonna call me with an answer but I am doubtful.

Original owner does not know anything about cars. Zilch.

Get the Sachs quick struts. They actually make them for your Camry :)

If Sachs is too expensive, there's always KYB

Were they still non-interference in 2000? If so, you don't have to worry about the timing belt :sneaky:
Wow, they really run a big range. The FCS struts are popular on Rockauto, they start at $45 which I guess is why they're popular, then mid 70's for Monroe, then $110ish for KYB and your Sachs are $140-$160.

Wow, they really run a big range. The FCS struts are popular on Rockauto, they start at $45 which I guess is why they're popular, then mid 70's for Monroe, then $110ish for KYB and your Sachs are $140-$160.

Yes, there is a wide range in price between parts, and a wide range in quality, too.

FCS is garbage :poop:

Monroe and Gabriel are OK

KYB is better, and KYB actually is the OE supplier to the 4th gen Camry.

Sachs is the best, but their quick strut coverage is shorter than the others. They are worth considering for cars they make them for.

Sachs > KYB > Monroe > Monroe Roadmatic

Yes, there is a wide range in price between parts, and a wide range in quality, too.

FCS is garbage :poop:

Monroe and Gabriel are OK

KYB is better, and KYB actually is the OE supplier to the 4th gen Camry.

Sachs is the best, but their quick strut coverage is shorter than the others. They are worth considering for cars they make them for.

Sachs > KYB > Monroe > Monroe Roadmatic
Yeah but on a $1200 car, I doubt too many people want to spring for $600 on a set of set of struts all around. Explains why FCS at under $200 all around is popular. At least it comes with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure why Sachs doesn't do that, Monroe, KYB, Moog and Gabriel all have a lifetime warranty.

Maybe service the transmission, pcv valve, not to add more work to the list. I've heard of Starfire tires before made by Cooper. Is this replacing the '98 Accord?

Yeah but on a $1200 car, I doubt too many people want to spring for $600 on a set of set of struts all around. Explains why FCS at under $200 all around is popular. At least it comes with a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure why Sachs doesn't do that, Monroe, KYB, Moog and Gabriel all have a lifetime warranty.

The OP is in California, where cars don't rust, and the Camry is known for being one of the best cars ever made, and Toyota makes the best cars :)

With a car known for reliability in a place where you don't have to deal with rust, the premium struts are still worth it.

If you don't like the short warranty on Sachs, there is no problem with Monroe or KYB.

Back