should I buy? 03 Camry, 80,0000 miles

May need to drive to Manhattan 3 to 4 times a month for new job. 03 Camry XLE V6 with 80,000 miles, well maintained, friend's relative passed away. No rust. Timing belt replaced 10 months ago. Anything I should worry about for this particular year, model? It is metallic earth tone in color, so just about invisible.
Dread the idea of adding 700 to 1000 miles a month on one of the vehicles in my signature especially on those sections of roadways.
Thanks for any advice.

I'm curious what's the asking price?
$5,500. I think that's on the low side. Since it is my friend, I told him to list it for $7,000(leather, sunroof etc. Don't know if that's standard on XLE)if I don't buy it, but he just wants to sell it as soon as possible.

$5,500. I think that's on the low side. Since it is my friend, I told him to list it for $7,000(leather, sunroof etc. Don't know if that's standard on XLE)if I don't buy it, but he just wants to sell it as soon as possible.
just for perspective, my buddy bought a '14 honda crosstour with 100k with rebuilt title for roughly 6500$. I think you're getting a great deal with this camry (granted no major issues with the car).

Couple of thoughts for you:

That would be really overpriced 18 months ago. But this is not then.

I know the 2003 V6 Camry had the "mature" 1mz-fe engine. It's a keeper, no worries. Good power and great fuel effiency if you keep your foot out of it. I don't know if the 2003 Camry had the 5-speed U151e transmission yet or not. The 2002 ES300 got it (1st year). The prior 4-speed was a good unit - until it randomly exploded internally. There was a big issue with a supplier not heat-treating thrust bearings adequately. Same issue in similar period A340 transmissions like in Sequoia's, etc. If it has the 5 speed, don't worry. If it has a four-speed, then the AT can grenade any time unannounced.

We have an ES of that generation now with 325k on it, drives like now (much maintenance and TLC of course). The overall Toyota XV30 platform is pretty awesome for reliability and longevity, with a the few quirks all platforms do.

Don't know if this works for you, but I used to live in lower Manhattan and reverse commute out to Connecticut. I would drive my car OUT on Mondays, then ride the train back and forth until Friday afternoon. Saved a lot of wear and tear and provided the benefit of quiet reading and many tall Foster's Lagers on the afternoon trips, courtesy of the cheap prices on the New Haven line (at the time, do not know current trends.;) ).

Couple of thoughts for you:

That would be really overpriced 18 months ago. But this is not then.

I know the 2003 V6 Camry had the "mature" 1mz-fe engine. It's a keeper, no worries. Good power and great fuel effiency if you keep your foot out of it. I don't know if the 2003 Camry had the 5-speed U151e transmission yet or not. The 2002 ES300 got it (1st year). The prior 4-speed was a good unit - until it randomly exploded internally. There was a big issue with a supplier not heat-treating thrust bearings adequately. Same issue in similar period A340 transmissions like in Sequoia's, etc.

If it has the 5-speed auto, then no worries at all. We have an ES of that generation now with 325k on it, drives like now (much maintenance and TLC of course). The overall Toyota XV30 platform is pretty awesome for reliability and longevity, with a the few quirks all platforms do.

Don't know if this works for you, but I used to live in lower Manhattan and reverse commute out to Connecticut. I would drive my car OUT on Mondays, then ride the train back and forth until Friday afternoon. Saved a lot of wear and tear and provided the benefit of quiet reading and many tall Foster's Lagers on the afternoon trips, courtesy of the cheap prices on the New Haven line (at the time, do not know current trends.;) ).
Alas, I live in New Hampshire so no chance of using public transport. The most interesting part of the trip is FDR Drive, when it's not bumper to bumper. Different surfaces, some gentle moguls and lots of turns!
I don't know how long I will stay each time. At least parking is paid for.
Thanks for the info.

I used to have so much fun on the FDR in the 90s! It was like bumper cars but with really expensive stuff. The FDR separates the men from the boys really quickly. ;)

Seriously though, if it's got a five speed, grab it and enjoy. I know this car bumper to bumper, rear sway bar bushing back forward to radiator hose clamps (In the body of a 2002 ES300 - almost the same car). Awesome platform. My ex cast it off in April as she got a newer GS350; I have the car now and I keep leaving my pristine low-mile turbo Volvo with 1/3 the miles on it (and in meticulously restored condition!) in the driveway and driving the ES300 instead. Great platform. I drove it all the way down to the bottom of the lower Hood Canal, then back up to the very norther tip. Great spring drive.

Feed it nice 10w-30 synthetic and 30k pan drain/fills with 3309 or T-IV in the AT. Same with PS system. They go though rear bank valve cover gaskets quickly as they run hot back there, also PS return hoses if you don't maintain the fluid. Those changes and spark plug rear bank changes are not cheap, but not terrible if you DIY. These cars are really well known so you can get all the info you want at TN or ClubLexus. I prefer the latter as TN is a zoo and weird political junk from the admin (I know, as I used to be a moderator there).

Speaking of moguls, I was also a ski patroller at Sugarbush a while, we should talk about the white stuff... ;)

Last edited:
I'd buy it! Just know that even though it only has 80K-ish miles, it's still 18 years old.
We had an '01 Lexus RX300 with the same engine and it was nice.

May need to drive to Manhattan 3 to 4 times a month for new job. 03 Camry XLE V6 with 80,000 miles, well maintained, friend's relative passed away. No rust. Timing belt replaced 10 months ago. Anything I should worry about for this particular year, model? It is metallic earth tone in color, so just about invisible.
Dread the idea of adding 700 to 1000 miles a month on one of the vehicles in my signature especially on those sections of roadways.
Thanks for any advice.
The metallic earth tones are ok but the gray and white ones are troublesome.

Do you already have 5 vehicles?
Probably going to sell the Tahoe. Trying to figure out the best way to do it. People keep approaching me to buy it. Slightly unnerving when you're just trying to leave the Best Buy parking garage. LOL

With lower risk than most used cars, and used prices continuing to only go up- it’s worth the buy……

Camry V6 has good power and very reliable. You can modernize the car by swapping the audio unit for a new one with bluetooth, navigation and a backup camera.

The Camry is a great car, and the price is probably fair in the pandemic market. Make sure you do some kind of rustproofing to keep it in good shape.

Some things on it are VERY difficult to work on (spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc), but it is reliable. Since the timing belt has been done, you don't even have to worry about that.

It's worth buying if it isn't rusty :)

IMO I'd skip driving into NYC, if it's only 3 or 4 times a month. Go down I84 and stop at Southeast train station. It might be "fun" to drive down once or twice, but I wonder if it really costs that much more to hop on the train and sit back.

Sounds like the decision to do this isn't just based on cost? You like the cars you have, want them to last longer, and not deal with commuting woes. Might be worth it on that aspect. But it's still an 18 year old car.

Back