Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

I am not engaging in a semantics argument to make my point or for you to debate your own. Electric vehicle adoption as it stands today is not widely associated with middle- or lower-class citizens. The expectation that it will be in the near future while remaining cost prohibitive is speculative at best.
Whatever makes you happy. You’re the one using these labels, not me. Sounds like some class warfare.

1705542613369.jpg

Uhhmn having an incident with an electric car's lithium battery at a charging station sharing space with gas pumps scenario has to investigated and idiot proofed.
I’ve never seen one where they weren’t on opposite sides of the property.

Destination ones will add them with current charging length.

Majority of gas stations most people cannot stand to be in for more then 5 mins.

They make more sense in shopping areas, libraries, food areas and rest stops unless a location is required.

Mandate no, as gas station owners have plenty including replacing tanks as maintenance and monitoring ground water .

My guess is once EV because mainstream/time passes the charging tech will reduce “fill” from 30 min+ into the 5-15 min range. Gas station owners will have to reinvent themselves thru organic growth.

Last edited:
One thing that hasn't been said is what about an EV fire near gas pumps?
Sure EV's don't just catch fire, but there are more and more fires and they are not controllable.
Food for thought.

Well, that's not what's happening in America. Car companies are making expensive, option laden vehicles. And adding markups.
If a car company made a quality, low priced vehicle like the earlier Corolla/Civic, Accord/Camry, or Datsun PU/Toyota PU, I believe they would sell like crazy. But their margins would tumble. People keep buying because they got us by the short hairs.
Yet every car sells, eventually.

Sure, you can look at short time spans and claim the market is failing.

That's not accurate. The market adapts. It doesn't happen instantly.

When they had people lined up 3 deep to buy, they loaded up the cars with every option and charged as much as they could.

Money got expensive, not to mention stimulus money was finally exhausted, and car makers (and dealers) had expensive inventory.

To move the metal, prices will drop.

They are not going to take those cars and crush them as opposed to selling them for less.

Many Toyota Hybrid models are selling in route.

I'd like to test drive a Corolla Cross Hybrid and my dealer says I have to put down a deposit. They are selling every one they get. There are a few more cars on the lot of my local Toyota dealer, but not like it was pre pandemic.

Seems like nearly everything they build is getting sold in short order.

I don't keep track of too many other dealers. But, I don't see the lots overflowing at the Chevy and Ford dealers near me.

Maybe trucks at the RAM dealership or Jeeps. But the other metal seems to be moving.

New car and light truck sales for 2023 was up 12.4% from 2022 to 15.5 million vehicles. That's over 1 million vehicles per month.

If people didn't want what they were building at the price they were charging, they wouldn't be buying.

Now, they may not be building what you and I would buy. But, I'm not sure BITOG is a reflection of the overall market.

One thing that hasn't been said is what about an EV fire near gas pumps?
Sure EV's don't just catch fire, but there are more and more fires and they are not controllable.
Food for thought.

I would think the bigger issue is that there is gas. I mean - at gas stations I see propane for sale as well as a lot of other flammable items. I would think EVs would be the least of anyone's concerns at a gas station.

But sales of stuff inside the store is far more profitable than selling gas for the most part.

And EV charging takes longer. You have a captive audience for 15-45mins.

So most gas stations will probably have EV chargers in a few years. But it shouldn’t be mandated.
This right here.

Even more reasons to stop for a bite to eat….

Uhhmn having an incident with an electric car's lithium battery at a charging station sharing space with gas pumps scenario has to investigated and idiot proofed.
Good point, didn't think of that.

Gas stations don’t even have to sell diesel!

I can’t even get a Diet Coke at Starbucks and you want to force GAS stations to charge electric autos? Priorities man, Priorities!

Back