New Gas Stations - Ethanol Select Dispensers

Hello Everyone,

There are some new gas stations going up near me......1 Quik Trip, and 1 Phillips 66. Although both of these locations are not yet complete, I am hearing that both with have EV charging stations as well as ethanol blending pumps similar to the one pictured below.

I am curious to hear from any of you here on BITOG if you have any of these type of dispensers in stations where you live. I know that there has been a big push here in the midwest to make E15 a standard blend to replace the current E10 blend, and I am wondering if this might be the first step of compliance to get there.

Thanks in advance for your responses and thoughts overall on this subject.

encore-flex-fuel-nf6-block.jpg

The Casey's at the south end of Liberty, MO has a similar pump. Almost confusing. It is a new grandiose location near several major logistic centers, lots of customers for coffee, snacks and fuel.

Sheetz does this and at least at one station, not all of the pumps are like this. Their E88 apparently isn't available at every pump.

Sheetz does this and at least at one station, not all of the pumps are like this. Their E88 apparently isn't available at every pump.
it depends some sheetz have 0 of the ethanol pumps (pumps with the blue and yellow dispensers)

other stations are interleaved with
diesel/ 3 grades gas(e10),
e0 90 octane+ 3 grades(e10 here)
yellow/blue+3 normal grades(e10)
so about every 3rd pump has e15/e85 with the normal 3 grades of gas(up to 10% ethanol in NE Ohio)

another sheetz has 16 pumps in a row with the 4 outside being diesel/gas and the 12 inside being blue and yellow+ the normal 3 grades

Here in IL you can normally find a selection like that at a Murphy's (Walmart) or Casey's. We don't have a lot of QuikTrips here in the Northern half of IL but the QTs in Oklahoma have those selections too. I don't see the BP/Shell/Mobil/Citgo stations here have anything else than the 3-grade selection of unleaded/mid/premium.

Yup, all the new or rebuilt Sheetz around here get the new pump configurations. Not all available at every pump, but we get the standard 87/89/93 then the E15, E85 and ethanol free.

There is a disaster waiting with pumps like this. There are people who have no idea what to choose. I thought it was risky enough to allow diesel at a gasoline pump.
At Sheetz, in addition to the color-coded handles, there are placards or stickers on the black plastic (above the nozzles in the picture shown) with fairly prominent writing trying to explain each nozzle and the fuel. Now, the first time we went to a Sheetz (~2 years ago in NC before they started building around here), I looked at the E15 pump and said "nope" and my mind immediately thought it was referring to the 85% ethanol, flex-fuel stuff.

@ Snagglefoot, and Hall......your points are well proved. I was recently in FL with a friend of mine who's turn it was to drive the rental car. We stopped at a RaceTrac for fuel before heading north. It was his first experience using a pump like this. He asked me kindly to get out of the car and help him. The pump was not very intuitive for him to understand which nozzle dispensed which grade.

@ Snagglefoot, and Hall......your points are well proved. I was recently in FL with a friend of mine who's turn it was to drive the rental car. We stopped at a RaceTrac for fuel before heading north. It was his first experience using a pump like this. He asked me kindly to get out of the car and help him. The pump was not very intuitive for him to understand which nozzle dispensed which grade.
All of my family (cousins, aunts and uncles, etc) are from the UK and most of their vehicles run on diesel. One of my cousins were visiting and got a rental car, went to put fuel in it, and had to double-check which nozzle to use. They are color-coded, in some cases, but they use (let's just say) GREEN nozzles for diesel and blue for gasoline but here in the US, the pump was the opposite. Whatever the color difference was, he almost put diesel in a gasoline model.

The Casey's where I get my E85 has pumps similar. No diesel on the ones with E85 though, and no E85 on the diesel pumps. You have either 2 handles on the diesel pumps, one for diesel and one for 87-93 gas, then the E85 has 3, one of E85, one of E15, and one for 87-93 gas. Same colors as here as well, green diesel, yellow E85, blue E15, and black 87-93 gas.

Hello Everyone,

There are some new gas stations going up near me......1 Quik Trip, and 1 Phillips 66. Although both of these locations are not yet complete, I am hearing that both with have EV charging stations as well as ethanol blending pumps similar to the one pictured below.

I am curious to hear from any of you here on BITOG if you have any of these type of dispensers in stations where you live. I know that there has been a big push here in the midwest to make E15 a standard blend to replace the current E10 blend, and I am wondering if this might be the first step of compliance to get there.

Thanks in advance for your responses and thoughts overall on this subject.

View attachment 218435
all the new gas stations I have visited in the last ~5 years in eastern Iowa have these style of pumps. Hy-vee, Kwik Star, etc...

Just my $0.02

I don't know of any station that has gasahol here. It's just normal gasoline.
My understanding is it's somewhat regional and not available all around the US (and elsewhere). You need (typically) corn and a LOT of it or want to be relatively close to where corn is harvested heavily, i.e. the midwest US. That no longer appears to be the case though as I think it's available in most of the lower 48 states nowadays.

Back