Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

Looks like an interesting place. It's one of those where the market made the installation of chargers make financial sense for them.

That place was interesting. A quick search only shows 18, which was the original installation. But they added another one further away from the restaurant with 80 more.

This view currently looks like when there was a truck parking area next to the Shell station on site, but that's where they have 80 Superchargers now. The Shell station is near their "express BBQ" site. Obviously they're looking to funnel Tesla customers into their convenience store and quick serve restaurant.

Last edited:
Electric vehicles are the future. Yet ICE vehicles will be here for decades as well.

Should all gas stations be mandated to have chargers? Is having 1-2 chargers minimum reasonable?

I think so.
Not sure why you think Electric vehicles are the future. Maybe too many drugs or caught up in the stupidity?? I was just at the Ford dealership today and they told me they are not getting anymore electric vehicles in due to poor sales and the amount of time it takes for people to travel due to the amount of time it takes to charge the vehicles. They have their place in the mix but diffently not the future.

Nope. It's against the law to pump your own gas in NJ. Pretty sure you can pump diesel yourself.
Never been in a state where you can't pump the gas yourself.

Takes me back to the good old days. Hand them $5.00 and let them fill your tank. But back then, gas was less than .50 cents per gallon.

Its easy for a parking lot to be made ADA compliant. All you need is a few signs and a stenciled wheelchair logo painted in a space. One and done, essentially no maintenance and minimal expense. Contrast that with mandating electrical charging $tations mandated in lots. No way Jose!

I have spent 15 years as a climate policy analyst, so here is my truncated 2 cents.

The transportation sector is the biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions in the country and reducing vehicle miles traveled of gas-powered vehicles is the only way to reduce that source. Electric vehicle adoption is seen as the most effective path forward to achieving that goal.

California passed the Advanced Clean Cars II rule (in addition to Advanced Clean Trucks and Advanced Clean Fleets), which will only allow the sale of electric vehicles in the state from 2035 on. Maryland has already adopted the same rule and other blue states will follow suit.

The numbers as they exist today do not support widescale electric vehicle adoption, at least in Maryland. There are ~6.5 million registered vehicles in the state. 1.3% (~85,000) of those are electric vehicles. The overwhelming majority of those 85,000 are Tesla, meaning that your average person is not adopting electric vehicles, but rather people that can afford what amounts to a fancy toy.

To facilitate widescale adoption of electric vehicles, extensive new charging infrastructure will absolutely be required. This will be legislatively mandated one way or another, and unless electric vehicle costs drop, neither widescale adoption nor expansion of charging infrastructure will occur organically.

The future is driving these things to work and back. I think we're putting two much emphasis on the road trips. Just me.
I make one road trip a year. If it adds me any unnecessary stress(I doubt it) once a year, I think I can deal with that over putting gas in my car at -5F.

I have spent 15 years as a climate policy analyst, so here is my truncated 2 cents.

The transportation sector is the biggest source of greenhouse gas emissions in the country and reducing vehicle miles traveled of gas-powered vehicles is the only way to reduce that source. Electric vehicle adoption is seen as the most effective path forward to achieving that goal.

California passed the Advanced Clean Cars II rule (in addition to Advanced Clean Trucks and Advanced Clean Fleets), which will only allow the sale of electric vehicles in the state from 2035 on. Maryland has already adopted the same rule and other blue states will follow suit.

The numbers as they exist today do not support widescale electric vehicle adoption, at least in Maryland. There are ~6.5 million registered vehicles in the state. 1.3% (~85,000) of those are electric vehicles. The overwhelming majority of those 85,000 are Tesla, meaning that your average person is not adopting electric vehicles, but rather people that can afford what amounts to a fancy toy.

To facilitate widescale adoption of electric vehicles, extensive new charging infrastructure will absolutely be required. This will be legislatively mandated one way or another, and unless electric vehicle costs drop, neither widescale adoption nor expansion of charging infrastructure will occur organically.
I always love the fancy toy comments. Best way to nullify any well worded statement over a $38k car.

Which state does MD hope to export their pollution to while not making enough domestic power to make this dream a reality?

It should be no brainer. Now, your regular gas station close to home? Probably not, yet. But, big gas stations with amenities, they are on board with that.
Hollywood Supercharger
On the rare times I Supercharge, I stop at a Starbucks or other place with something interesting. The San Bruno (south of SF) is probably my favorite because you end up on Skyline Blvd.

Electric vehicles are the future. Yet ICE vehicles will be here for decades as well.

Should all gas stations be mandated to have chargers? Is having 1-2 chargers minimum reasonable?

I think so.
No mandate and if the government thinks they should it should only be on new builds

So in other words, what you are saying is EVs will not be appealing to the masses without artificial intervention.

The marketplace has to be perturbed because consumers (who are generally rational, even if we don't understand their rationale) won't pick them in the free market.

They won't appeal to the masses who are concerned about cost, range and charging.

Therefore, government must issue mandates that FORCE consumers into a choice they would not freely make.

Doesn't sound like government has much faith in either consumers or industry.

Or, government doesn't want people making rational choices that best serve their needs or desires. Government only wants people making choices that serve the objectives of government.

That's what I got from what you wrote.

Because it is for vehicles and the stations are located everywhere. No extra land needed.
I'm not getting the connection. And yes, extra land is required. There are many gas stations that are laid out with just enough of a foot print, for what they were originally designed for.

Companies around here offer subsidized or even free charging as a perk. Employees love it. Some new job candidates ask for it.
Same here. Not only employers, but some businesses offer free charging, hoping they will get the car owner in their store while their car is charging. Clever.

But none of that is mandated.

If we want to motivate gas stations that do have the available space, use a carrot. Not a stick.

Reactions: GON
I'm not getting the connection. And yes, extra land is required. There are many gas stations that are laid out with just enough of a foot print, for what they were originally designed for.

Same here. Not only employers, but some businesses offer free charging, hoping they will get the car owner in their store while their car is charging. Clever.

But none of that is mandated.

If we want to motivate gas stations that do have the available space, use a carrot. Not a stick.
FYI, I am not for mandates.

Back