Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

A lot of smaller stations could not afford the electrical upgraded needed. It's not like adding a row of 110v outlets.

A lot of smaller stations could not afford the electrical upgraded needed. It's not like adding a row of 110v outlets.
True the cost of entry is high. But some food for thought
The US Department of Transportation (DOT) is offering $1.5 Billion for public entities including states, local governments, tribes, and port authorities to deploy charging infrastructure and other surface transportation projects through its Rebuilding American Infrastructure with Sustainability and Equity (RAISE) Program. DOT will provide reimbursement of up to 80% of total eligible project costs for most project types. Applications will be evaluated competitively and are due by February 28, 2024.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is offering $3 Billion for port authorities and state, regional, local, and tribal agencies with jurisdiction over ports, and air pollution control agencies to deploy zero-emission port equipment and to purchase and install charging infrastructure through its Clean Ports Program. EPA will provide reimbursement of up to $500 Million, up to 80-90% of total eligible project costs, depending on applicant and project details. Applications will be evaluated competitively and will be accepted between February 2024 and May 2024.

The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is offering $500M for school districts, charter schools, tribes, private school bus contractors, and eligible third parties to deploy clean and zero-emission school buses and to purchase and install L2 and DC fast chargers through its Clean School Bus (CSB) Rebate Program 2023. EPA will provide reimbursement of up to $145,000 - $345,000 per bus-and-charger bundle, depending on applicant and bus details. Awards will be made by lottery and applications are due January 31, 2024.

The National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Formula Program allocates $5 billion in funding for EV charging infrastructure across 75,000 miles of highway across the country. Your organization must be within one mile of an established alternative fuel corridor to qualify and may need to meet other requirements as well.
The 30C Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit, commonly referred to as the “federal tax credit,” gives qualifying businesses a 30% tax credit, up to $100,000, for the purchase and installation of EV charging infrastructure. Businesses must have installed the stations between Jan. 1, 2023, and Dec. 31, 2032, and must claim the credit on their federal tax return. Guidance on new eligibility requirements is forthcoming, based on prevailing wages and the applicant’s location within designated census tracts.

Well Unfortunaly this winter is showing the viability in the cold north about EVs no matter how much money the government is wanting to give away.

Was there a mandate for gasoline stations in the beginning? If not, why would you need one for EV?

Not that I expect a reply from the OP since he seems to be a "drive-by" or "stop and drop" sort of poster.
First I take offense to the personal attack. I have been on here a long time and posted and responded to many posts. That was uncalled for.
Second there are lots of mandates for things at gas stations. Safety, proper pumps, proper octane etc. Lots of things didn't have laws or mandates until we discovered they needed them. Remember when foods never had safety seals at one time?

First I take offense to the personal attack. I have been on here a long time and posted and responded to many posts. That was uncalled for.
Second there are lots of mandates for things at gas stations. Safety, proper pumps, proper octane etc. Lots of things didn't have laws or mandates until we discovered they needed them. Remember when foods never had safety seals at one time?
On the other hand there is no mandate for any business entity to sell gasoline. That's what you are proposing here, that an existing business be forced to sell a specific product.

Yes there are safety laws and consumer protection laws and all sorts of other laws. But nobody is forced to sell something just because they exist.

The free market should make it profitable for a station to install chargers or not. Let capitalism work its magic.
Supposedly selling gas really isn't profitable. Hence why they have become convenience stores too. EV owners would buy convenience items too while charging.

Supposedly selling gas really isn't profitable. Hence why they have become convenience stores too. EV owners would buy convenience items too while charging.
If it wasn't profitable, the pumps wouldn't be there. It is profitable.

What's your source?

Reactions: GON
Here in Wisconsin there is a popular chain of gas stations where in at least one market they have a store where no gasoline is sold.

Because it is for vehicles and the stations are located everywhere. No extra land needed.

Parking lots/garages and existing parking spaces actually makes more sense.

However, the locations of EV charging systems can be hit or miss. Picking a location can be tricky. Maybe put it closer to the road, where it's visible. Maybe closer to the businesses, like I've seen ChargePoint systems in front of McDonald's right next to disabled parking spaces. Some want to put them in the back, which is fine if it's Tesla and there's a captive customer base that will seek them out. I've even charged at some locations that look like nobody had parked there in years until the charging infrastructure was installed.

They have plenty of time. Unlike the inconsiderate dweebs that leave their vehicles at the pump and go into the convenience store.

Here in Wisconsin there is a popular chain of gas stations where in at least one market they have a store where no gasoline is sold.

It might get a little more complicated with an increased amount of time spent. Most gas station convenience stores don't have any kind of seating, although I've seen some combination gas station convenience stores and fast food restaurants (which may be physically separate). There's a Valero/Circle K/Burger King around here that has no seating. However, I've heard in parts of Asia, conveniences stores often have seating for customers to consume food.

Buc-ee's is interesting because apparently they don't have places to sit. Lots of food options, but the customer is expected to head back to a vehicle to consume anything.

Companies around here offer subsidized or even free charging as a perk. Employees love it. Some new job candidates ask for it.

Electric vehicles are the future. Yet ICE vehicles will be here for decades as well.

Should all gas stations be mandated to have chargers? Is having 1-2 chargers minimum reasonable?

I think so.
No! If someone want to own an EV let the company pay for their own charging station, nothing mandated or not on the backs of the taxpayers. The problem with gas station owners installing chargers is they will possibly pass the cost on to the fuel price as well as the charging station.

It might get a little more complicated with an increased amount of time spent. Most gas station convenience stores don't have any kind of seating, although I've seen some combination gas station convenience stores and fast food restaurants (which may be physically separate). There's a Valero/Circle K/Burger King around here that has no seating. However, I've heard in parts of Asia, conveniences stores often have seating for customers to consume food.

Buc-ee's is interesting because apparently they don't have places to sit. Lots of food options, but the customer is expected to head back to a vehicle to consume anything.
They have some outdoor picnic tables, but nothing indoor at the last time i was at a buc

Back