Should gas stations be mandated to have chargers as well?

One thing that hasn't been said is what about an EV fire near gas pumps?
Sure EV's don't just catch fire, but there are more and more fires and they are not controllable.
Food for thought.
Pretty sure this was already brought up because I remember replying to it. I’ve never seen one where they were near the pumps. The ones here are on opposite sides of the property and are basically truck stops.

Threads like this can be misleading because people think the proposition is real. There is no such mandate for gas stations to install chargers, AFAIK.
In fact, it wouldn't make much sense for small stations because there is no room. The station owner is in business to make money; this does not sound like a good way to do so.

Now if charging becomes a profitable revenue source, that's another story.

Threads like this can be misleading because people think the proposition is real. There is no such mandate for gas stations to install chargers, AFAIK.
In fact, it wouldn't make much sense for small stations because there is no room. The station owner is in business to make money; this does not sound like a good way to do so.

Now if charging becomes a profitable revenue source, that's another story.
I have a feeling it'll be like gasoline. It's not a cash cow, but it gets people in the door for other purchases. Kwik Trip is starting to add some Tesla Superchargers(I'm not sure I'm supposed to be talking about this yet, but I was at the test store) and Kwik Trip in Wisconsin is basically a mainstay. They have walk in beer fridges, hot food, fresh coffee, drinks, you name it. Some are basic, the newer ones are huge and are basically truck stop level, though most don't have showers(some do). I'm used to their stores and I would be happy to charge there. I stopped for coffee on my way to work yesterday and on my way back today I topped the GTI off with fuel and bought a case of beer. That level of convenience is something that can easily translate to charging as well. The Kwik Trip I was in earlier even had a bar style dining area. That would be popular for those that don't want to sit in their car to charge. Myself, I'd rather get my coffee and hang out in the car until I'm ready to go.

The big thing to take from this is that they're working on investing in this on their own(possibly with help from Tesla). The government didn't need to do anything to support this. It's a huge boost because it's not an unmanned parking lot. Kwik Trip keeps the area immaculately clean as they do with their fuel pumps and even have window washing supplies at the chargers just as they do with their pumps. This is the experience I'm looking for when charging. Most of the times I've used a supercharger at a bigger store I'm scrambling to get back out before it's done charging. I don't feel rushed at a Kwik Trip and I know what I'm getting when I go in. Maybe I'm just used to the gas station model, but it makes sense for me on a road trip. If I spend an additional 10 minutes with my car after doing my shopping and other stop needs I'm happy. I'd much rather that than walking halfway across a parking lot into a mall to wander through two half empty hallways for a crappy Starbucks coffee.

Petro-Canada ( owned any Suncor) has put about four chargers avg, in every Petro-Canada gas station along the Trans-Canada highway from coast to coast. There is one next to the McDonalds in Canmore and I have never seen a car charging there.
The two in Victoria seem to never get used. However, there are a couple of Chevron locations with the Freewire chargers and those are in use almost every time I go by.
I’ve noticed Petro Canada doesn’t maintain the chargers properly here so there’s probably a lack of trust.

I personally think the ideal place is where someone is going to be parked all day or even for weeks. I guess one of the interesting things would be how to handle charging at locations where people would normally park all day. For me that's far more sensible than gas stations. But then there's the problem with turnover. I think DC fast charging typically has punitive idle fees, but paid Level 2 charging often has an hourly fee.

I was looking into maybe going to Disneyland in an EV, and obviously they have a different use model where it's going to take a while for anyone to go back to the garage or lot. They went with dozens of charging stations and no idle fees with ChargePoint.

f04lbyrtb9ta1.jpg

Electric charging is based on the number of kilowatt-hours used with a minimum cost. There is no fee for idling in the charging spaces after your vehicle is fully charged, though fellow electric vehicle owners greatly appreciate typical vehicle charging etiquette, especially at the hotel locations. And the ChargePoint app includes a waitlist feature that can notify you when your vehicle is fully charged or when a charging location becomes available. Please consult the ChargePoint service directly for the latest information and rates.​

One of the interesting things I saw (looking up stuff for the cold weather EV charging topics) was that there was EV charging at some off-airport parking locations where it was only available if the valet option was chosen. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I suppose it could mean that the valets are instructed to move around vehicles and take turns charging EVs. If you're gone for a a week, I can't imagine that a vehicle would need to be plugged in for the entire time, and rotating EVs in and out would be good use of the resource.

Our local airports actually have complimentary EV charging, although one obviously is going to pay for parking fees. I wonder somewhat since some only provide a 110V outlet. I'd worry about leaving my own charging equipment somewhere and perhaps someone stealing it. I even worry about using the Tesla J1772 adapter since it would seem to be a theft target. I saw something about EV charging at a free waiting area, but apparently that's not free.

• 2 Free EV Chargers in section M1
SFO offers electric plug-in vehicle preferred parking in all of our public garages. Best of all, there’s no charge for the charge! Plug-in vehicle parking stalls are available on a first come, first served basis. Each stall is located at a close-in parking location and includes access to Level 1 charging (110 V standard outlet) or Level 2 charging (240 V). NOTE: You must supply your own connection cable for Level 1 charging.​
The Airport currently provides ChargePoint CT 4000, dual chargers, supplying up to 7.2kW over standard SAE J1772 (IEC Type 1) connections. Five charging stations, serving nine vehicles, are located in Hourly Lot 5 next to Terminal B and three charging stations, serving six vehicles, in Terminal A Garage (Lot 2). All are free to use on a first-come, first-serve basis. Regular parking fees of the associated parking lot apply.​

Electrical vehicle (EV) charging stations are available in the parking garage, the Daily Lot and the Free Waiting Area. Look for signage to the charging stations.​
Two Level 2 electrical vehicle charging stations are available on each floor of the garage near the Terminal A elevators. Four Level 2 chargers are available in the Daily Lot in addition to one paddle charging unit for older model Toyota RAV4 and related electrical vehicles.​
There are twelve Level 1 electrical vehicle charging stations available near the Terminal B elevators. There are two charging stations on floors 2, 3, 4 and 6 and four charging stations, including two in handicapped parking spaces, on the 5th floor.​
EV chargers and their designated spots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Use of charging stations is free. Standard parking fees apply.​
SMUD operates a DC Fast Charger and two Level 2 electrical vehicle charging stations in the Free Waiting Area. There is a fee for this service.​

Pretty sure this was already brought up because I remember replying to it. I’ve never seen one where they were near the pumps. The ones here are on opposite sides of the property and are basically truck stops.
I see them fairly near the pumps. Here are a couple near some pumps at Wawa. The pumps are under the cannopy. This is in Orlando. How near do you think is too near? I think its maybe a couple car lengths or so to the nearest pump.

I am trying to think of where else I have seen them.

1705638210873.jpg

Most quick stop gas stations do not have enough space for parking a bunch of EV's to charge them.
I've seen more gas stations close up and disappear than new ones built. Its going to take grocery store type parking lots to
meet the charging needs of EV's. Hmmm even large restaurants should get in on the EV charging model, then the folks can have a nice meal while they wait.

Why would it need to be mandated? Selling EV power is a different business model.

This is what irritates me the most about all of this EV nonsense. None of it should be mandated. If people want these things, they'll buy them.

If they don't, they shouldn't be forced to by ANY form of government mandate. Or by putting time limits on how long ICE vehicles can be legally produced and sold. Once again we have the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. All based on that same line of crap..... "For the common good".

If EV's are so fabulous, they should be able to kill off ICE, based on the benefits they provide, by simply being better...... Much like LED bulbs have taken over the market from incandescents. And transistors took over the vacuum tube market.

These things are no "greener" than an asphalt parking lot. Even the government should be smart enough to know that.

I see them fairly near the pumps. Here are a couple near some pumps at Wawa. The pumps are under the cannopy. This is in Orlando. How near do you think is too near? I think its maybe a couple car lengths or so to the nearest pump.

I am trying to think of where else I have seen them.

View attachment 199272
I've never seen them that close together in person. Yeah, I'm not sure I like how they have this set up.

My understanding is they make little on fuel and their bread and butter on items inside the station. Why should they be required to offer something that's not profitable and doesn't do any good for the masses?

We have free electric charging in my co. parking garage which is 7 levels. Since there are not enough electric cars to use all the chargers, anyone can park in the charging spaces. I even see electric cars that aren't charging, for free. Never knew why, maybe it's slow charging, maybe they came in late and didn't have time. Who knows. The fact is supply > demand. Unless driving an EV is considered a disability, I see no reason to be mandated to accommodate them. My .02 ymmv

This is what irritates me the most about all of this EV nonsense. None of it should be mandated. If people want these things, they'll buy them.

If they don't, they shouldn't be forced to by ANY form of government mandate. Or by putting time limits on how long ICE vehicles can be legally produced and sold. Once again we have the government sticking its nose where it doesn't belong. All based on that same line of crap..... "For the common good".

If EV's are so fabulous, they should be able to kill off ICE, based on the benefits they provide, by simply being better...... Much like LED bulbs have taken over the market from incandescents. And transistors took over the vacuum tube market.

These things are no "greener" than an asphalt parking lot. Even the government should be smart enough to know that.
No one has mandated anything outside of some overzealous states. CAFE is tightening and car companies are offering EVs trying to compete with Tesla to raise their CAFE numbers. That could be considered a form of mandate, but making more efficient cars would get there too which is the main angle Toyota has taken.

If car companies wanted to side step some of the EV stuff they could probably make a few more small efficient cars for the people that want them and complain new cars are just too expensive these days. Price increases and cancelling smaller models at the same time made some big leaps. There's just not as much meat on the bone for the auto manufacturers to make entry level cars and they don't seem to want to make cars with less profit margin. I think GM is the only US company actually attempting it, though they're small crossovers. They know more than I do on that though, I'm not a buyer but that's probably the best way to sell them.

Back