Short OCI = no sythetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
In your case, every 3000 miles would be a good number using a quality blend, NO SYNTHETICS. Corrosion will show as wear metals using a synthetic and the ppms will be high versus a blend.

Saw this on another forum from someone who claims to be a tribologist. I'm going to be going from 10k a year on my 07 F150 5.4L in the past, to about 3-5k per year. I understand the economics of why most use a quality dino oil for these short OCI, but never heard that synthetics are "bad" as far as wear in a low mile OCI. Is there any validity that synthetics are worse for this? Thoughts??

This is not tribology, but economics.

The quoted opinion is specious garbage...

Synthetics cost more. They will perform well on a shorter OCI...but you will pay more per mile...many here would discourage you...your wallet may suffer, but your engine will be happy...

Last edited:
Yep! You took the bait. Go back to 10K OCIs with a quality full synthetic and if your engine could talk it would thank you.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
Quote:
In your case, every 3000 miles would be a good number using a quality blend, NO SYNTHETICS. Corrosion will show as wear metals using a synthetic and the ppms will be high versus a blend.

Saw this on another forum from someone who claims to be a tribologist. I'm going to be going from 10k a year on my 07 F150 5.4L in the past, to about 3-5k per year. I understand the economics of why most use a quality dino oil for these short OCI, but never heard that synthetics are "bad" as far as wear in a low mile OCI. Is there any validity that synthetics are worse for this? Thoughts??

Totally bull.

Another example of people thinking that Synthetic oil is from another planet and is somehow different from conventional oils made today.
33.gif
it's the exact same oil! it's just stronger and made better. It will not damage your engine.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Yep! You took the bait. Go back to 10K OCIs with a quality full synthetic and if your engine could talk it would thank you.

I didn't take the bait. I'm still running Ultra at my current 7.5-10k interval. I just saw this on another thread about someone going to a shorter OCI and wondered if this claimed tribologist had any salt. Thanks guys

Quote:
Corrosion will show as wear metals using a synthetic and the ppms will be high versus a blend.

lol.gif

Don't worry about it man! Dropping to 3-5K with syn will only hurt your wallet a bit, not your engine.

I do 3k oil changes on synthetic. Although I know they will last much longer than 3k, it just gives me peace of mind. Any claim that synthetic is bad for your engine is crazy. I agree with the other postings. If anything it's just bad for your wallet. I don't have much money but even to me a $30 oil change every 3 months is pretty affordable!

Originally Posted By: fisher83
I do 3k oil changes on synthetic. Although I know they will last much longer than 3k, it just gives me peace of mind. Any claim that synthetic is bad for your engine is crazy. I agree with the other postings. If anything it's just bad for your wallet. I don't have much money but even to me a $30 oil change every 3 months is pretty affordable!

What would you do if you drove 3K miles every month?

...But an obvious waste of good oil.....as well as $$$.

Haven't you been informed that...as a nation....we're trying to use less of these very expensive resources.....but I guess your "peace of mind' is more important....even when it doesn't make any common sense.

You know for even more "peace of mind" you should change the old every third saturday of the month.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT

You know for even more "peace of mind" you should change the old every third saturday of the month.
wink.gif

Noth'in like getting the maximum "peace of mind"

Maybe....every Saturday would even be better!

My 401k (with XOM & SOPUS shares) thanks you!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Artem
Another example of people thinking that Synthetic oil is from another planet and is somehow different from conventional oils made today.

Perhaps the person who said that synthetics are worse for the engines for shorter OCIs just knows that people often do not like the simplest, easiest explanation. We all know that there are plenty of people who believe that a synthetic is better for a 3,000 mile OCI that conventional over the same OCI in a vehicle that doesn't require synthetic.

People who spend more money don't like to hear that they're not getting a benefit, regardless of how short the OCI is.

Didn't realize that my post would hit a nerve Oregoonian. That wasn't my intention.My point was simply that short OCI's on synthetic oil aren't harmful to your engine, given the example that it is what I do. I really don't see any harm in what I'm doing. I would be willing to bet that everyone is wasteful in some sense or another. Ever throw away a half eaten sandwich?
smile.gif

Didn't realize that my post would hit a nerve Oregoonian. That wasn't my intention.My point was simply that short OCI's on synthetic oil aren't harmful to your engine, given the example that it is what I do. I really don't see any harm in what I'm doing. I would be willing to bet that everyone is wasteful in some sense or another. Ever throw away a half eaten sandwich?
smile.gif

What a dumb and stupid comeback (throw away a sandwich?

Waste is waste....and you do it four time a year...knowingly;

And by the way, changing your oil as early as you do...can be harmful to your engine. Oil filters do not filter as well in the first 2k to 3k miles....but have better filtration after that. So by changing early, your filter is not working to maximum capacity, and letting in more [censored] your engine dosen't need. (I bet you didn't know that).

If your bent on 3K OCI's....common sense will tell you to use the lowest priced dino, and at least save some $$$....and then you can give the difference to a worthwhile charity in your area.

Then you can have 'peace of mind" knowing that money you would have wasted....goes to a good cause.

Would a short OCI of 5k be acceptable on a 90% short tripper using a synthetic?

Oil being used is mostly very dirt cheap synthetic purchased on close out. Otherwise, I would probably be doing conventional at 3k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back