Shop Truck build

I'm curious about how you get a truck like this past a state inspection since it is within the 25 y.o. window.

Where would there be an issue?
The emission system.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see how the engine and emission system management electronics are being addressed. I don't know how the state of Texas handles vehicles that fall within the 25 y.o. window and have had the entire drive train replaced with one from a different vehicle. I also don't know how they handle cases where an emission system has been heavily modified from the way it came from the factory (which is supposed to be illegal). He does this for a living so he should know, and he will have to know if he wants to register the truck.

The emission system.
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see how the engine and emission system management electronics are being addressed. I don't know how the state of Texas handles vehicles that fall within the 25 y.o. window and have had the entire drive train replaced with one from a different vehicle. I also don't know how they handle cases where an emission system has been heavily modified from the way it came from the factory (which is supposed to be illegal). He does this for a living so he should know, and he will have to know if he wants to register the truck.
It has to have (at least) a system equivalent to what was on the truck from the factory.

So not much.

From the first picture I see the wheels and tires look pretty nice. Great choice on the hood and everything else.

Reactions: GON
The emission system.

I have the ability to manipulate the ECM & turn ALL the readiness monitors to "Ready" & it would pass emissions testing via OBD2, But I'm not doing that......
*EVAP system will be fully functional....Tank Pressure Sensor, Canister Vent Solenoid, & Purge Solenoid all wired, Along with the Tank Volume adjusted in the ECM.
*Catalytic Converter (two) are in place & positioned correctly. I do not have the rear O2's in place right now, But wiring & connectors are in place.....All need to do is install the 2 rear O2 Sensors. I'll likely change the connectors on some good used sensors & install them.....I just don't want to buy new ones.

From the Texas Department of Public Safety.....My notes in Italic

Engine Swaps​

Rules regulating engine swapping are not make/model specific. The simple rule is that a vehicle must have all emissions components that were present when it was manufactured, which may include:

• PCV - positive crankcase ventilation..................Functional
  • ACL - air cleaner (thermostatic air cleaner).....When was the last time thermostatic valve was installed on a vehicle? Stock L96 air cleaner.
  • AIS - secondary air injection..................................Not equipped on either the '17 or '00
  • EGR - exhaust gas recirculation............................LM7 was equipped with EGR, But the L96 has VVT which is equally effective at lowing NOx.
  • EVAP - evaporative emission.................................Functional
  • CAT - catalytic convertor.........................................Functional
  • SPK - spark control....................................................Functional
  • FR - fillpipe restrictor................................................Fuel Tank is not modified.
  • O2S - oxygen sensor.................................................Functional

Last edited:
I have the ability to manipulate the ECM & turn ALL the readiness monitors to "Ready" & it would pass emissions testing via OBD2, But I'm not doing that......
*EVAP system will be fully functional....Tank Pressure Sensor, Canister Vent Solenoid, & Purge Solenoid all wired, Along with the Tank Volume adjusted in the ECM.
*Catalytic Converter (two) are in place & positioned correctly. I do not have the rear O2's in place right now, But wiring & connectors are in place.....All need to do is install the 2 rear O2 Sensors. I'll likely change the connectors on some good used sensors & install them.....I just don't want to buy new ones.

Engine Swaps​

Rules regulating engine swapping are not make/model specific. The simple rule is that a vehicle must have all emissions components that were present when it was manufactured, which may include:

• ACL - air cleaner (thermostatic air cleaner).....When was the last time thermostatic valve was installed on a vehicle? Stock L96 air cleaner.
  • AIS - secondary air injection..................................Not equipped on either the '17 or '00
  • EGR - exhaust gas recirculation............................LM7 was equipped with EGR, But the L96 has VVT which is equally effective at lowing NOx.
  • SPK - spark control....................................................Functional
  • FR - fillpipe restrictor................................................Fuel Tank is not modified.
  • O2S - oxygen sensor.................................................Functional
Thank you.
So, I'm assuming that you are using the truck's original ECM that came with the original engine? If so, is this going to cause any problems interfacing with the new engine and transmission (such as... the lack of an EGR system on the newer engine, lack of VVT and drive-by-wire throttle on the original engine, etc)?

I'll be using the '17 L96 ECM & TCM to control the Engine & Trans.
The '00 LM7 PCM will also be installed, But ONLY to operate the original gauge cluster, Newer GM ECM's do not have Class 2 Serial Data to communicate with a Class 2 device such as the gauge cluster.
I contemplated using a '17 BCM as a gateway as it takes the GMLAN signals from the ECM/TCM & broadcasts them over a Class 2 Serial data line, But I don't know for sure it would work.

Got the '00 engine harness stripped down to just the circuits I need to operate the Cluster.

rl85wMP.jpg

okDlFQE.jpg

Some progress.....

New OE engine mounts, ARP exhaust manifold bolts, & Oil cooler lines installed.

The power steering pump I thought was good was Roached, Found a Pump off a '03 4.3L V6 in my stash that's in really good shape. Pump & Pulley is the same as a V8, Just had to swap the rear bracket.
The '17 Alternator Bracket won't accept a Saginaw Pump, But I had a 2001 V8 Bracket.

I could've made the '17 "Type 2" Pump work with a custom pressure line, But I don't care for Type 2 pumps! And trying to keep custom maintenance items to a minimum!

The original battery cables off the 2000 were in sorry shape & I can't use the '17 cables because the battery is in a different location. Had a good set of unmolested GMT800 cables.

I don't think the intake resonator will clear the hood.....Looks a little stupid anyway.

65AXBtI.jpg

MW0jYnL.jpg

Y4rYO43.jpg
I’ve never seen an AC dryer/accumulator wrapped with insulation. Is this something you recommend? Thanks.

Last edited:
The '00 LM7 PCM will also be installed, But ONLY to operate the original gauge cluster, Newer GM ECM's do not have Class 2 Serial Data to communicate with a Class 2 device such as the gauge cluster.
I contemplated using a '17 BCM as a gateway as it takes the GMLAN signals from the ECM/TCM & broadcasts them over a Class 2 Serial data line, But I don't know for sure it would work.

Got the '00 engine harness stripped down to just the circuits I need to operate the Cluster.

rl85wMP.jpg

okDlFQE.jpg
You work at a level that far exceeds most people in your field. Genuinely impressive knowledge and skills on display here. My hat’s off to you, Sir!

rl85wMP.jpg

okDlFQE.jpg
Thank you for the explanation. This is what I was looking for.
The reason for my questions are because a friend of mine has a 2000 Chevy truck like yours and has been trying to get more horsepower out of his original engine and is not having worthwhile results. Several months ago I suggested that he consider doing just what you are doing.

Engine Swaps​

You are most likely going to need to do some modifications to the PCM to get a pass. I cant speak for a TX emissins inspection analyzer but a PA analyzer would be looking for a PCM on class 2 for OBD emissions communication. Since your original PCM that speaks class 2 is per your other posts only functional enough to make the dash work, its going to have a lot of circuits it isnt happy with and monitors it cant run. Even if you wired the can H and can L circuits to pins 6 and 14 at the DLC, our emissions machines would never look for the can ECM/TCM that is actually running the truck since the truck natively doesnt speak can.

You also may run into issues because your donor ECM/TCM is out of a global architecture vehicle and likely going to be looking for environment identifiers from other modules before allowing start.

You are most likely going to need to do some modifications to the PCM to get a pass. I cant speak for a TX emissins inspection analyzer but a PA analyzer would be looking for a PCM on class 2 for OBD emissions communication. Since your original PCM that speaks class 2 is per your other posts only functional enough to make the dash work, its going to have a lot of circuits it isnt happy with and monitors it cant run. Even if you wired the can H and can L circuits to pins 6 and 14 at the DLC, our emissions machines would never look for the can ECM/TCM that is actually running the truck since the truck natively doesnt speak can.

You also may run into issues because your donor ECM/TCM is out of a global architecture vehicle and likely going to be looking for environment identifiers from other modules before allowing start.

Texas is still passing vehicles with mismatched communication protocols. I'm going to have a disconnect under the dash (Post splice pack) so the analyzer won't pick up on the Class 2/VPW signals, I'll advise the inspector to use CAN instead of VPW.

If all else fails......I can turn off all DTC's in the 2000 PCM, This will set all monitors to Ready, Along with commanding the MIL status to off even though no RPM signal is present. The MIL in the cluster will still function normally via the '17 ECM. I don't really want to go this route as I'm not trying to cheat the system. I'm 100% certain this powertrain would pass tailpipe emissions with flying colors!

I've done several 2007-2018 LSx/LTx swaps into older (exempt) vehicles, Turning off the VATS is basically all you need to do. Wiring the CAN BUS high & low circuits bypassing all the other modules works just fine.....No need to delete any "U" DTC's either which I found odd on the first one I did.

Back