Shooting in Chapel Hill, NC!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before people get carried away with this, there is evidence that this was a conflict over a parking space.

And the guy who allegedly shot these three people (I think his name is Chris Hicks) was by no means some rightwing fanatic. They have taken down his Facebook Page apparently but before all of that the guy appeared, from what people were able to find out, to be anti-religious against ALL religions (he was an atheist, apparently), and visited various leftwing websites.

So we need to find out more before the usual stuff gets posted here.

From the NY Times story: "Mr. Hicks (the accused shooter) appeared to have a deep dislike of all religion. On his Facebook page, nearly all of his posts expressed support for atheism, criticism of Christian conservatives or both."

The world is Getting more crazy every day. Science is usually wrong and evolution in nature is always degrading never building.

Yes, this could still be considered a hate crime I suppose, but the available evidence indicates that this individual was opposed to ALL religious belief. He was not just anti-Islamic.

But the early evidence apparently indicates this incident took place over a parking space. Hicks apparently lived in an apartment below the three people he allegedly killed.

I think his Facebook Page has been taken down, but some news investigators checked it out before it was taken down.

It is still early but the people ready to put down that this guy was some sort of anti-Islamic Christian bigot need to pause a little before they put that down.

Rage over parking space doesn't usually escalate to knocking on the neighbor's door and shooting him and his family a bullet in the head a pop!!!!!!!!

What a miserable end to my day!!

Oh, I was expecting apologies on behalf of the killer. No.
You know, all Muslims should denounce the terrorists from among them, I thought all who are alike the killer to apologize and denounce the terrorist act. But no, it is about a simple parking conflict, nothing to see here. No apologies, no denouncements.

I am curious to see if the killer had any dental problems. Maybe he was mad he had missing teeth.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Before people get carried away with this, there is evidence that this was a conflict over a parking space.

And the guy who allegedly shot these three people (I think his name is Chris Hicks) was by no means some rightwing fanatic. They have taken down his Facebook Page apparently but before all of that the guy appeared, from what people were able to find out, to be anti-religious against ALL religions (he was an atheist, apparently), and visited various leftwing websites.

So we need to find out more before the usual stuff gets posted here.

You are kidding right ??? Looking at what you typed so far what else is needed to not make a determination. You sound like the typical FOX noise listener.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I think these people had a ongoing feud.

I agree. There appears to be some history involved.

I also think it's HILARIOUS and simultaneously disappointing when folks here try so hard to develop a right wing gun conspiracy out of thin air...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I think these people had a ongoing feud.

I agree. There appears to be some history involved.

I also think it's HILARIOUS and simultaneously disappointing when folks here try so hard to develop a right wing gun conspiracy out of thin air...

Like when MSNBC said the Boston bombing was right wing gun nuts?

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Yes, this could still be considered a hate crime I suppose,

I am sure it will be considered. The whole idea of "Hate Crime" to me is nuts. Whats the point? Oh..I forgot its the PC thing working it way into everything.

So does a Hate crime mean extra time in the slammer (er..correction facility)??? Or does it soften the sentence? Seriously screwed.
[/rant]
[/hyjackthread]

Last edited:
Turn this around and make a muslin killing a non-muslim family over parking dispute. What would be your reaction?

This appears to be a simple case of a mentally ill person with a gun. A sane person, by definition, wouldn't murder 3 people over a parking space. An article in today's Washington Post suggests that this guy was a well-known neighborhood agitator (to the extent that a community meeting was held to discuss him last year!) who walked around with a gun on his hip when confronting/harassing neighbors about various perceived slights. Who does that? A crazy person, that's who.

Why does the question of religion even have to enter into the discussion? This man shot and killed three people - period.

Likewise race. Why does our society have to have endless discussions on "Black man killed," "Hispanic man killed," "White man killed." The point is, someone killed someone and a human life was lost.

The dream of Martin Luther King has yet to be realized, especially by the news media, where an individual is judged, not for the color of his skin, (or the religion he practices), but the content of his character.

These kinds of events will continue until we have the courage to stop making them about race and religion and start dealing with the root cause of the problem, the lack of respect for human life and our fellow human beings, regardless of race, creed or color.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Why does the question of religion even have to enter into the discussion? This man shot and killed three people - period.

Likewise race. Why does our society have to have endless discussions on "Black man killed," "Hispanic man killed," "White man killed." The point is, someone killed someone and a human life was lost.

The dream of Martin Luther King has yet to be realized, especially by the news media, where an individual is judged, not for the color of his skin, (or the religion he practices), but the content of his character.

These kinds of events will continue until we have the courage to stop making them about race and religion and start dealing with the root cause of the problem, the lack of respect for human life and our fellow human beings, regardless of race, creed or color.

It's all about the ratings ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back