Hurricane Idalia - landfall in Florida

He was. He reported the weather and provided accurate commentary, WITHOUT any embellishment or agenda.

Those days are long gone sadly.
watched him unexpectedly join a professor who’s sky was falling and toss out much of his rhetoric with science …
In the early 60’s Carla stomped our area like nothing since then …

I talked with a local news anchor in Colorado at a wedding recently.

I asked what she thought on a particular topic that happened to be in the news a lot in Colorado.

Her reply was a shock to me, though it may not shock you.

She said, “I just read the news”.

In other words, none of what she had said on the air had actually sunk in and occupied any space in her memory.

She had no understanding of the topic that I wished to discuss, the topic on which I was interested in her opinion.

She was simply a pretty face, and a mouthpiece for words that somebody else wrote.

It was a fascinating moment, but not in a good way.

I had always suspected that most reporters were similar, simply a pretty face reading the Teleprompter, with no actual comprehension. But this certainly removed any doubt I might’ve had.
Just look how they tricked the news lady with fake pilot names from the Asiana crash …

They’ll pay the appropriate amount for risk involved.
I have multiple properties on the upper TX coast. I am strategically dropping insurance as much as possible. For example, I keep flood insurance on one of the lowest elevation homes (but its pretty well protected from wind), and dropped flood insurance but keeping wind on a higher elevation home that does not have much wind protection but very unlikely to flood. I have saved a ton of money. and I put it back for self insurance. Its a good feeling to drop companies that I highly dislike.

We lost power for 4 days after Irma. Even though it was only a TS when it got to us, the eye passed over our county. The biggest problem was lack of gasoline as the evacuee traffic from South Florida bought it before it could be replenished. The few stations that still had power after the storm had no gas. We had to go well off the beaten path to find gas for our generators. Even then they placed a limit you could buy.

yeah, gas is always a problem so if you aren't early you might as well not bother until the last moment.. I go and buy 35 gallons and put it in cans the first time a named storm comes within about 400 miles of my house... and I let it sit in the shed if I dont use it, and then start dumping it in my cars around the start of October. Technically although Irma made landfall about 30 miles from my house, we only had high tropical storm force winds where I live.. I think people tend to exaggerate how strong the winds they actually received were... just human nature.. not that tropical storms are anything to be sneezed at, but people still make things out to be more than it actually was.

aint much you can do about the evacuation crowd except hope they keep on going until they get to Chattanooga.

Last edited:
I have multiple properties on the upper TX coast. I am strategically dropping insurance as much as possible. For example, I keep flood insurance on one of the lowest elevation homes (but its pretty well protected from wind), and dropped flood insurance but keeping wind on a higher elevation home that does not have much wind protection but very unlikely to flood. I have saved a ton of money. and I put it back for self insurance. Its a good feeling to drop companies that I highly dislike.
yep, at a certain point if you own the property outright you drop coverage because you will save enough money to pay for your own repairs.. the people with a motgage are screwed, but not the free and clear property owners.
I just have fire and liability now, if they keep raising that, I will probably go the self insurance rate.. might have to..

Way back when, I remember reading (in an actual printed newspaper) a public interest story about a family that prepped up their house for Hurricane Andrew and then decided to hole up on vacation for three weeks. On Kauai.

2YNE6OLFUVDW7FB3LYB6PJGR44.jpg

yeah, people make bad choices.. smartest move a person in a hurricanes path is to move 90 degrees at a from the predicted path.. for example If a person was in Tampa and that was the path, smarter to move towards Miami than it is to try to flee thru Georgia. and they dont have to travel 500 miles or 5000 to get away either.. but people are fools. just the way it is

I go and buy 35 gallons and put it in cans the first time a named storm comes within about 400 miles of my house... and I let it sit in the shed if I dont use it, and then start dumping it in my cars around the start of October.
After Irma, every year I start buying gas around June/July. Lesson learned. And yeah, last year I ended up putting it in the cars.

Back