If you had the means to move anywhere in the US today where would that be?

I've visited a number of parts of the U.S., and of course it's easy to idealize places you only visit but don't live in long-term.

With that as a qualifier, northern Colorado seems to offer everything I would want - elevation with lots of sun and cool, dry air, four seasons without an excessively cold or prolonged winter, and lots of outdoor recreational activities (hiking and cycling).

Likely unaffordable, and of course there would have to be some hypothetical situation where family all got transplanted as well.

Reactions: wlk
Our town of Los Gatos is the southern most city in Silicon Valley at the foot of the Santa Cruz Mountain range. Love it here.
I will also say the time I spent in Arlington, TX taught me just how polite, friendly and wonderful people can be.

All good.
I would move to be Jeff's neighbor.

Low 70's yesterday, 70* today in Los Gatos. Everybody's in shorts and walking. Our Japanese Maples will start to bloom. Spring is the best time of year here, except for the allergies, of course.

You need to be cruising your Vette with nice weather like that. :cool:

I have visited Florida at least 20 times in my life and my favorite spot there is Marco Island, I'd definitely love to live there. It's got a great beach, lots of great restaurants and isn't overly crowded with tourists. Even on the nicest days, the beach isn't too crowded like other popular beaches in Florida. And they even have a Publix so I can get a yummy chicken tender sub :p

I have visited Florida at least 20 times in my life and my favorite spot there is Marco Island, I'd definitely love to live there. It's got a great beach, lots of great restaurants and isn't overly crowded with tourists. Even on the nicest days, the beach isn't too crowded like other popular beaches in Florida. And they even have a Publix so I can get a yummy chicken tender sub :p
No you get an Ultimate sub and gallon of sweet tea 😁

From my perspective, having grown up in TX, with DW from Nebraska, and children in ID and IN:

Grew up in TX and still have family there, but not likely to convince DW to move to a place with heat AND humidity.

Lived in Colorado Springs for 6 years and liked it. That was 30 years ago, though. Times have changed and there's too many people with the liberalish Front Range politics. Cost of living is sky high. I almost took a job last year with the Air Force there, but couldn't make it work financially.

Lived in Sacramento for 4 years and liked it. That was 25 years ago and times have changed. That place has gone bananas. Even back in the late-80's we decided that CA was a great place to visit but we didn't want to raise a family there.

Lived in Nebraska for 20 years and enjoyed it. I still consider myself a Nebraskan, but never got used to the taxes. My FIL said I would, but I didn't. Left there after 20 years once the kids married and moved away. In-laws still live there and we visit a couple times a year.

Lived in southern NM twice for 6 years total, and loved it. We lived near the mountains and could be at 9000' in 30 minutes. The dry heat was fine. Probably wouldn't move back there, though. We loved living in the small-ish town that we lived in (<30k). Las Cruces was an hour away with a population of 300k+.

Moved to northern UT to be closer to my son and his family. Love that aspect of this area, plus the camping opportunities. Still working for the Air Force here. 3M+ people all crammed into the Wasatch front. In 2 and 1/2 years, our health has taken a nose dive because of the air pollution. Big city drivers are insane. Cost of living is insane.

Now onto to our next adventure in northern MT in May. Yeah, bitter cold, but NE had that. Looking forward to a small town and clean air. Will be working for another government agency. Twice as far from our son, but drivable in a day. We may buy a house and settle there. Low taxes (no sales tax) and ranked #5 overall by statetaxindex.org. If we don't like it...well, onto the next adventure.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I guess I can honestly say that I live exactly where I want. If I had more money, the only thing I would consider would be a living on a different piece of property close to where I live now.
Me too - but that would be at storm surge elevation 🙄

I'd like to retire to a quiet neighborhood where I can walk to a bar, restaurant, cafe, grocery, and local live music venues. Within a couple hour's drive of my kids and grandkids. Excellent healthcare nearby. The weather doesn't matter to me. Also other factors we can't discuss here. But if money's no object, I'm going to say Cambridge, MA.

Reactions: wlk
If I didn't like where I am living I'd move. If I didn't move I'd feel like I was wasting my time on being miserable. I can see wanting to live somewhere else in maybe 5 to 10 years as things may be different then. Big deal - our world has become smaller than ever.

I'm thinking of moving back to Texas. Getting the wife on board will be the challenge. She wants to be near the ocean, but no way I'm doing that in Texas. So maybe South Carolina. Its got to be warmer.

I like it right here at the beach. Carolina girls are nice to look at. Otherwise maybe somethin' like this so I could cruise up and down the ICW all year.

1709164329585.jpg

bilginyacht.com

Sedona, living on the outskirts close enough to shopping but far away enough from tourists.

The elevation is not high enough for beneficial hypoxia though, but the views, oh wow. Maybe there are some other towns in the area higher up.
Nice place to visit, not so much to live there. You can’t get away from the tourists and the traffic is horrendous all the time. 2 friends have lived there for a long time and both want out. Tourist destinations not the best place to live usually.

Wife and I got married on the beach on Marco Island in 2019. :cool:

Back