Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic HTHS??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this posting on another website:

Both ROTELLA T SAE 15W-40 and ROTELLA T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 have HTHS numbers exceeding 4.0, well in excess of the SAE J300 minimums of 3.7 cP for SAE 15W-40 and 2.9 for SAE 5E-40 grades. Please don’t get stuck on high-numbers-are-better, though. These are bench test numbers. Just like TBN, more important is performance in an engine, where how well oil viscosity stands up to shear stress (or TBN to acids) would be a better measure than how high the new oil numbers is.

In my experience, 40 weight HDEO apps call for 4.1 and 30 weights call for 3.5. That's my operating premise.

you are a bit high on your numbers. 40 weight oil needs a min of 3.4 and 30 weight is 2.9. Ferrari/Porsche recommended oils need a min of 3.6 to be appproved for use in their vehicles. Current factory pours are, Shell Helix 5w-40 for Ferrari(group III oil using same base as their F1 engines and same as Shell Rotella T synthetic base) and Mobil 0w-40 (PAO synthetic) for Porsche.

I have been looking all over for the HTHS rate for this oil. It is not posted on their website nor can I find it anywhere else. My curiousity button has been hit with this one. thanks !

j

I called Shell today and asked for the HTHS for the 5w-40. Their answer: minimum of 3.5
frown.gif

Yes, HDEO and monograde 40 weights ..yes, they do break the 4.0 barrier (as Audi Junkie says).

4.6 for the 40 weight PZ LL
4.3 for the 15w-40

I would think that RTS would too
confused.gif

I am going to use this oil in my Audi. 1.8T. I think it should work great in that engine. All the extra cleaning ability will be appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by uconn1150:
I called Shell today and asked for the HTHS for the 5w-40. Their answer: minimum of 3.5
frown.gif

Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 has a HTHS of 4.23

And in case anybody is wondering about other Diesel synthetic 5w-40's

Schaeffer's 9000.........4.57
Shell RTS................4.23
Chevron Delo synthetic...4.07
Mobil Delvac-1...........3.89

Hammer

Hammer:
Thank you!
cheers.gif

I assume you have a reliable source?

I don't know why they wouldn't tell me...it's not a trade secret?
dunno.gif

my source is Schaeffer's website. So i assume Schaeefer's oil Anlysis lab came up with the numbers. Go to the website and click on the Schaeffer's 9000 link in the Motor oil section and you will see the bar graph comparing the HTHS numbers.

Hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back