Share Your Oil Consumption if Any

I'll start out by saying that since my 1977 VW Rabbit, which was recalled for leaky valve stem seals, I've had no measurable oil consumption with any of my cars until my two current rides. My wife's 2011 Acura TSX wagon has consumed about 1 quart of oil per 3,000 miles for the the past 6 years or so. I received a notice from Acura about 7 years ago extending my powertrain warranty and warning of increased oil consumption. The notice recommended using to Top Tier gas to combat the problem and I also put Techron in the tank couple of times a year for several of years. Additionally, I stopped using the "maintenance minder" and switched to an OCI of 6k miles, alway 0w-20 full synthetic. This reduced consumption from 1 qt. per 1,500 miles to my current 1qt. per 3,000 miles with 114,000 miles on the odometer. I was inspired me to check my 2007 V6 manual transmission Honda Accord and it's using about a quart every 6k miles. I typically add a half quart midway between oil changes. I'm just curious about other's experience with newer cars and oil consumption. I'm chalking it up to the use of low tension piston rings in the Acura along with its high compression (11:1) engine.

2003 CRV, not sure, quart over 5k? handed down and just not had long enough to know; lots of short trips by PO so it could change. Keeping an eye on it.

1999 Camry, quart over 5k, maybe more now. Seems to be accelerating but noticing more leaks so it might not be all burning.

The rest were fine. The 2000 Saturn got to a quart per 2k, but so many of them burned oil, I think it may have been intentionally designed that way… :ROFLMAO:

Prius uses maybe half a quart over 5000 miles.
Subaru uses none.
Hyundai uses none.
F250 leaks a quart or so between changes. Valve cover gaskets most likely. Doesn't bother me nearly enough to feel like messing with it.

Our 2004 Camry uses a quart about every 2,000 miles. My Escape doesn’t use any but it leaks out the timing cover and oil pan. I resealed the valve covers 3 years ago so that helped a little bit but I’m not lifting the engine to replace the timing cover gaskets. The oil pan I’ll do eventually but I will have to replace the exhaust too as it’s so rusty the bolts will snap. Nothing else uses oil really. I’m sure the Beetle will when I get it running it will leak somewhere lol.

When I seen the title of this thread I thought it was going to ask about the taste test you can do with oil lol 😂.

The vehicles in my sig.
The 2015 Chrysler is down about 1/8th over a 6k-7k / 6 month OCI. (Currently at 147k) Lucky I guess, considering some of these 2.4 multiair engines really consume it.
The 2011 Ram is down about 1/8th over 6 months and ~4k miles OCI (Currently at 69k)
The 2016 Buick isn’t down anything noticeable on the dipstick at it’s 5k / 6 month mile OCI (Currently at 96k)

As for others that I service for family.
My Daughter’s 2011 Mazda 3 (2.0l) isn’t down anything noticeable on the dipstick between 5k / 6 month OCI (Currently at 136k)
My SIL’s 2016 Subaru Legacy uses about a quart between her 6k / 6 month OCI. (Currently at ~180k)

Our unicorn 260k miles 5.4l Triton powered Ford uses a half quart per 5k miles... same as since new. The Toyotas and Nissans use none. My small block OBS Ford leaks from the oil pan and valve covers so it's impossible to say how much of the one quart per 1k is burnt. My 1951 Chevy 2 ton uses about a quart every half decade or so.

I keep reading about Toyotas and Subarus using oil but so far my wife's 2018 Highlander uses none between 5k changes. My 2022 WRX also uses none, even during break in. I break in my cars fairly easy.

2018 Camry with 7500 mile OCI now with 75,000 miles and 2019 Mini with JCW engine with 5000 mile OCI now with 35,000 miles: neither consume enough to add between changes. Perhaps about 1/4 of a quart at most on the Mini (I measure it). 2014 Accord uses some. Perhaps a quart every 5000 miles? Replaced the PCV, thought it was better, but, now I don't think so. I am currently running HPL PCMO 0w20 in it to see if this might clean up rings which might slow consumption. I ran it 2000 miles and changed ONLY the filter today and topped it off. I had added perhaps half a quart during that 2000 miles. 80% left on the oil life indicator, will be interesting to see if the consumption changes over the next 7-8 thousand miles.

"None" is hard to believe, although consumption may be very low, lower than the rate of contamination (fuel, water).

Of cars in my signature:
Chevy: 200 to 500 mpq, depending on variable leaks;
Subaru: 7000 mpq when new; deteriorated gradually to ~1100 mpq with advancing mileage;
Mazda: 3000 mpq from new through old age, not including variable leaks;
Toyota: Hard to tell. Appears to consume roughly 0.4 quart in 8000 miles, mostly within the first 2000. Many other 2010-13 Prii are reputedly much worse by this mileage.

Our 2004 Camry uses a quart about every 2,000 miles. My Escape doesn’t use any but it leaks out the timing cover and oil pan. I resealed the valve covers 3 years ago so that helped a little bit but I’m not lifting the engine to replace the timing cover gaskets. The oil pan I’ll do eventually but I will have to replace the exhaust too as it’s so rusty the bolts will snap. Nothing else uses oil really. I’m sure the Beetle will when I get it running it will leak somewhere lol.

When I seen the title of this thread I thought it was going to ask about the taste test you can do with oil lol 😂.
Another better idea from Ford to stop the DIYer!

None of my vehicles burn any oil. 48K, 38k, 76k, 94k, 120k, motorcycle 17k. Must be the altitude. Live about at sea level. A vehicle which has been properly maintained and still burns oil is 'ABBY normal'.

images

Last edited:
2021 Ford Mustang GT 5.0, burns about 1/2-3/4 quart over a 5k mile OCI. Wife’s 2018 Nissan Sentra with the 1.8 doesn’t burn any oil over the 5k/6 month OCI

Back