Shameless OnStar Plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this note from OnStar's president on an internal web site today and thought it was pretty cool. People in hurricane-prone areas may want to take note.

quote:

We all know that General Motors has been a leader in assisting communities facing a crisis. We are a company that people look to in order to get things back on track. GM assistance takes many forms: vehicle donations to organizations like the Red Cross; monetary donations and matching the contributions of employees; and help we and our dealerships provide throughout our communities. OnStar brings this assistance to the next level by offering help during wide-scale emergencies.

Over the last few months, OnStar has been preparing for hurricane season which began June 1. In the event of a major hurricane or other crisis, we want to be ready. Recent technology and information upgrades enhance OnStar advisors’ ability to provide critical information and services to subscribers affected by severe weather, natural disasters and civil emergencies.

During last year’s hurricanes, OnStar was able to assist many subscribers with emergency and other services. In fact, we received a letter from President Bush thanking GM and OnStar for our good works following Hurricane Katrina.

In the event of a civil emergency, it is OnStar’s practice to open our services to all subscribers, regardless of their service plan. We recently opened all services to Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina during Tropical Storm Ernesto. We can help subscribers with route assistance, lodging reservations and can even help find shelters that are pet friendly. Only GM and OnStar provide this unique combination of services in times of severe weather when other means of communication are not available.

As the global automotive leader, GM has the reach and resources to help in a crisis. OnStar’s crisis assistance takes this help to the next level by using technology to assist in the midst of an emergency.

not bad! Of course, if subscribers dont pay, the program will fold eventually, but hopefully not...

I guess it is one of those situations where people can't really say that big companies are totally bad!

Thanks for sharing!

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by Carbonics:
wait, you have to PAY to be followed? I thought it came on all vehicles and that was that, WOW!!!

rolleyes.gif

For the hundredth time, OnStar is NOT big brother. They only connect to the vehicle when you give them permission.

For everyone who keeps a cellphone in their car just so they can call 9-1-1...

They can all do that, even if deactivated. Same tune.

OP should watch out for spilling too many internal beans... but good info and good corporate citizenship nonetheless.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
OP should watch out for spilling too many internal beans...

I considered that, but I can't see how this information being public knowledge could possibly hurt the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back