Musk to provide Starling connectivity to affected Florida areas

Elon Musk agreed to provide the company's satellite internet service, Starlink, for help in response to Hurricane Ian in areas of Southwest Florida still without connectivity.

CEO Musk and SpaceX, are working to provide Starlink satellite coverage to emergency response crews stranded without dependable communication networks across southwest Florida.

Florida's governor thanked Musk and his private space company for donating the costs associated with all the coverage.

A good American company steps up to help Americans in one of the worst storms in our history. Bravo!

Those dishes need a view of the sky practically from horizon to horizon to work consistently, so it's a good thing that all the trees and houses have blown down.

A murder of crows will kill that murmuration of starlinks. Gov. DeSantis ought to point out that the donation of this internet satellite service comes from a South African-American source. Probably first of its kind.

Bravo Zulu Mr. Musk!

BZ.jpg

Musk unlocked some additional battery range in his Teslas a couple years back via software update to help Floridians evacuate. I know, because he talked it up, as he so often does.

Very nice. Does it perform well through clouds? I guess Florida is a good test.

We were close to getting this last Spring. Got on a waiting list about a year ago, there was a shortage so the wait was (supposedly) abnormally long, then the price went up and was now $50 more than what we are paying now for something that works 98% of the time. We declined and got our deposit back.

Verizon and another major carrier is giving unlimited text, data and calling for a bit.

They also added temporary cell towers and upgrades to effected areas to handle high load since people cannot use their normal wifi.

I think Cell technology is easier better suited however great Musk made a small gesture.

Last edited:
Back