Amazon Smile is Ending February 23, 2023

Do it yourself otherwise they are taking the write off (not that is matters much anymore) instead of you.
Yeah and not only that, if you really care about a cause it's much better and efficient to donate directly. At least you know your money is going to the cause.
I dont get it but we as a people seem to more and more rely on others (corporations) to do our good deeds and make us feel good about ourselves. When directly placing that donation you have the satisfaction of a gift for a cause. But that is just me.

Why do we keep making corporations so powerful and important part of our lives? Yet the first to bash them when they make money off of us.
We are just lazy.

Last edited:
Every charity Amazon dealt with will be more than happy to accept donations directly. Funny how this is about Amazon's "greed" when people weren't really donating anything themselves through this program.

Every charity Amazon dealt with will be more than happy to accept donations directly. Funny how this is about Amazon's "greed" when people weren't really donating anything themselves through this program.
It's become part of our culture. Talk about and blame others for stuff that we ourselves dont and are too lazy to do.
Great post

It was a publicity stunt that they no longer need, so they're getting rid of it. Pretty simple...

In place for 10 years and donated $500 million dollars and you call it a publicity stunt ? 😳
Yes, because Amazon has billions. Some companies paid more than that in fines or recalls. I can think of a few Intel cockups that cost them billions in a single year alone, like messing up the P67 midrange chipset and having to recall every single motherboard out there that had one. It cost them about 1.5 billions (spelled with a "B"). That was also a publicity stunt showing that Intel stands behind their product. This one was meant to show that Amazon is "kind".

That’s too bad. My purchases have generated $142.12 to the charity I chose. I purchase everything through smile.amazon.com. I’ll use the app, then checkout using the website.

Bummer, but I don't blame them. Won't change my shopping habits--I shop where it's cheaper/better/faster, depending on my needs/wants. That I could use Smile and donate something to a charity, well, icing on the cake.

I don't feel like Amazon is obligated to do some sort of charity work on my behalf.

Do it yourself otherwise they are taking the write off (not that is matters much anymore) instead of you.
Have you ever done the math on your taxes for charitable donations? 0.5% of every single dollar you make won’t save you a single dollar in taxes. I donated over 12% of my GROSS income last year to various charities and got the whopping return of exactly $0.00 off my taxes.

Have you ever done the math on your taxes for charitable donations? 0.5% of every single dollar you make won’t save you a single dollar in taxes. I donated over 12% of my GROSS income last year to various charities and got the whopping return of exactly $0.00 off my taxes.
Did you see that I made the comment (Not that it matters much anymore)? Everyone's tax situation is different, but for most people it doesn't matter much anymore.

I think the tax deductible charitable contribution limit is $500 for individuals.
I don't think that is right, but it won't matter unless you itemize deductions and have more than the standard deduction which is higher now than it used to be.

With economic slowdown, Amazon is doing everything to trim the fat.

I‘m not surprised they stopped Amazon Smile.

Shame. Local rescue that I work with uses that money for vet bills, transportation, etc. I do send them donations for fundraisers and the like, but it was nice knowing some of my purchases from Amazon helped as well.

The program seemed disjointed. There are literally thousands of charities, some of which are questionable. So, this makes good sense to me.
Except that we could steer it to something that made sense. My smile donations went to our kids’ school’s pta.

Now they just have some hodgepodge “donation” that fits some woke person’s agenda, and I’m not pleased.

It makes no sense for companies to donate anything; that should be up to the individual. Buy company stock and donate the profits. Or do people not want to sacrifice and want others to do the sacrificing...
Fact is us consumers that went to smile.amazon with our purchase received OUR Hard Earned Money. It wasn't the companies money on the portion that was suppose to support the charity of choice. So IMO the Company had an obligation to donate OUR money as they stated they were going to.

Yeah and not only that, if you really care about a cause it's much better and efficient to donate directly. At least you know your money is going to the cause.
I dont get it but we as a people seem to more and more rely on others (corporations) to do our good deeds and make us feel good about ourselves. When directly placing that donation you have the satisfaction of a gift for a cause. But that is just me.

Why do we keep making corporations so powerful and important part of our lives? Yet the first to bash them when they make money off of us.
We are just lazy.

This donation set-up had an easy far reaching landscape to your favorite charity. It made it fairly simple for individuals that would otherwise not be able to donate directly ($$ Poor like me).

There are many of us that had great satisfaction out of supporting a portion of OUR money to our favorite charity. I don't think anyone is being unreasonable here about, not being happy anymore about this change, that the richest man in the world is no longer going to take a portion of our funds donated to the charity.

Back