Sears/Craftsman/USA=ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will not pay a premium for a tool made in China. If I want a quality Chinese made tool at a fair price I will get one from Harbor Freight.

This is the first time in my life that Craftsman failed and I had to return it. The Sears reps (3 of them) kept telling me that they were the same ratchets, same quality, just made in different country's. Hmm I said ok then how come the China tool looks like a caveman carved the Craftsman name compared to the USA tool. I told them that's not the point, I bought US tool not China...

They had the socket sets that I had bought so I said if both ratchets are the same...how about I take the USA one out of the set and put the China one in there. Nooooo, because the set said made in USA and they couldn't sell it with a China part.... I said exactly, I want the US tool, they said sorry but the replacements for that ratchet are from China and no where in Warranty dose it say exact (place of manufacture) replacement.

Doesn't matter now, over the years my family has spent lots of money at Sears...from clothes, auto, housewares...they will never get another penny from us ! all over this measly little socket set.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
I have a hard some blaming any company for this kind of thing. I understand the desire, and also want, things to be made in the USA. But, it's getting harder and harder to source products from the USA. The factories that make these items are feeling the pinch and closing down or moving. It may be that the Made In China ratchet is a valid replacement because they could not source one here in the USA. I've had this same problem with car parts. Try to find brake components made in the USA, they are rare.

Don't be so complacent.

Snap-On, MAC, Matco...etc. They all still make tools in the USA. There are PLENTY of German brands to choose from, and they are all less than our tool truck brands (just ask Trav!).

I've simply switched to buying German stuff if I can't find American or Canadian. There always appears to be a German version available rather than "settling" for some over-priced slave labour China-sourced piece of garbage.

You don't have to settle for Chinese stuff, nobody does. If these companies lose sales because they moved production overseas and realize that consumers CARE, they will bring the jobs BACK. They have to, or they will go out of business.

The thing is that everybody appears to be "not giving a ***" and are, like you are indicating, just "going along with it". That is the wrong attitude to have my friend! The wrong attitude indeed.

The consumer chooses what he or she buys. We all set the direction as to where this goes. If you want to keep jobs here, buy American products. If you want to send jobs to China... Just keep doing what you are doing. The choice is yours.

Ever notice how in the USA that if you dare "complain" about ANYTHING you are now instantly called a whiner, unreasonable, or a troublemaker???

I have noticed this aspect of culture has "seeped" in over the past few decades...It is all part of the "what's wrong with you?" "shup up!" mentality that the elite are trying to foist on us. The same elite that created "free-for-all trade" with third world nations and pay their execs king's ransoms for NOT actually performing on the job, while the rank and file get laid off and pay cuts.

Well I can tell folks...when things aren't reasonable I will complain and be indignant too.
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JasonC
I will not pay a premium for a tool made in China. If I want a quality Chinese made tool at a fair price I will get one from Harbor Freight.

+1

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

The consumer chooses what he or she buys. We all set the direction as to where this goes. If you want to keep jobs here, buy American products. If you want to send jobs to China... Just keep doing what you are doing. The choice is yours.

WHY DONT MORE PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THIS!!??!?!?!????!?!?!?!??!

mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
21.gif
confused2.gif
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: 91344George
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Here's my question-why does anybody care? Have you been in a Sears lately?

There's a big reason why Sears won't be around at the end of 2012....

I do visit the Sears store on a regular basis. The associates are generally helpful and very friendly.

A likely reason is because the bean counting MBAs that run and are ruining our businesses with petty and ignorant decisions that only are for short term gains.

There is a big reason why they are selling "their" brands to nearly everyone (ie craftsman, diehard, kennmore)

It's called the phaseout of your company.

Sounds like yours is a rare case. You should see what kind of hours these stores have to run on. Some departments are lucky to have people..
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
21.gif
confused2.gif
crazy2.gif

I guess you missed the sheeple part. That is all americans are now.

Proof? Look at the sales numbers on "as seen on TV" items....

mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
21.gif
confused2.gif
crazy2.gif

It is that rarest of human traits: Common sense.

mad.gif
mad.gif
confused.gif
21.gif
confused2.gif
crazy2.gif

I guess you missed the sheeple part. That is all americans are now.

Proof? Look at the sales numbers on "as seen on TV" items....

Well, heaven forbid I use that comment to mention anything (especially someone's favorite car company) and its jusr a big flame.

i always used craftsman until about 5 years ago i wont buy anything from sears now...they used to be the best now they are far from it

To the OP-

You also could have just had them rebuild your USA made ratchet. The kits they have are still USA made, but I don't know if it will stay that way.

I have 2 small sets Craftsman tools I bought more than 15-20 years ago, one set has 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets the other has 1/4" and 3/8" ratchets, both sets are made in USA. They are in good shape now and looked as new. I'm glad I don't need to buy any new tool now.

I doubt that the masses will blink an eye at Craftsman evolving into China made.

On the other hand, maybe this will give SK a fighting chance to get re-established after they went under. To my knowledge, SK is about the only other U.S. manufacturer of mid priced hand tools (other than Danaher/Apex).

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
To the OP-

You also could have just had them rebuild your USA made ratchet. The kits they have are still USA made, but I don't know if it will stay that way.

Didn't matter to me and that would have worked, the only thing wrong is the selector switch was broke. They said it had to be sent in and replaced.
33.gif

[q

It's called the phaseout of your company.

lol.gif

I think the term "SELLOUT" seems much more suitable to me.

You can bet the brASS hats are going to get a few more fancy dinners and such because of this "move".

Disgusting.

I tried buying a bunch of Craftsman tools last winter. I went in after Christmas to replace some broken stuff I had and fill in the gaps of the stuff I didn't have.

I'll bet at least 50% of the Craftsman hand tools were made in China.

I laugh at Toby Keith's latest song "Made in America". One of the lines is about a Craftsman wrench. I'll bet he doesn't realize how much of it is Chinese made junk now.

Sears = Fail. They're not good for much of anything anymore. The merge with Kmart was two dying brands leaning on each other to keep from falling down. Craftsman tools was one of the last benchmarks they had left to hang their hat on. Now they've blown that, too, in the name of extreme profit mining. If it weren't for all the part-time jobs of working people that would be lost, I would care less if Sears and Kmart went under tomorrow.

I do visit the Sears store on a regular basis.

you and three other people...

The associates are generally helpful and very friendly.

They're starved for human contact--of course they're friendly!

A likely reason is because the bean counting MBAs that run and are ruining our businesses with petty and ignorant decisions that only are for short term gains.

The companies that are absolutely killing Sears in the marketplace are generally the early adopters in going to China--first and foremost is of course Walmart. I don't like it any more than you do, but that's reality. There are a whole bunch of reasons as to why Sears is slipping into obscurity, but I really don't think Chinese ratchets are a big part of it. They were already there when they moved Craftsman tools overseas.

At a certain point, folks have to stop looking at companies and start looking in the mirror. Most people are more-than-willing to buy their goods from a country where the workers aren't making a living wage and the companies ignore environmental standards, as long it's a little cheaper for them. Then, manufacturing jobs go away--and then people complain that 'they can't afford anything but Chinese goods'. Well, buy less, and buy quality. Otherwise, the vicious cycle continues.

@JOD:

I have two words for you...."FREE TRADE".

This is what allowed all our manufacturing to go to slave wage China, not the consumer.

If you don't remember I will refresh your memory, during the time our um "traitorous leaders" were trying to pass this nonsense the general public was told little by the leaders and almost nothing as well by our media. However once the public started to understand the concequences of Free Trade it was too late, our traitors in Congress with huge sums of lobbyist money from big corporations simply voted for all these phony free trade acts and legislation, even THOUGH at the time almost the ENTIRE general public WAS COMPLETELY AGAINST IT! Think NAFTA, GATT, WTO, ect....

Of course Ross Perot was echoing the voice of the masses in the US and accordingly the controlled US media obliged their criminal corporate masters and ridiculed him. Of course today most of the people in the US completely agree with what he was saying decades ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back