Craftsman 3/8 flex head ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
the aerospace ratchet is nice but it is the basically the same as the craftsman premium ratchet. except it is cheaper and held together with a snap ring instead of two small screws. i believe this is to prevent fod. also the Armstrong has for more teeth. this is an unnoticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: Chadwilliam1
the aerospace ratchet is nice but it is the basically the same as the craftsman premium ratchet.

They're both basically the same mechanism used in ratchets branded Armstrong, Matco, Craftsman (Premium and thin profile), GearWrench and maybe others I'm forgetting.

They all use Apex Tool's floating single pawl design. They range from 60 - 88 teeth. Many of them are interchangeable. They use a single pawl that sits on a spring. Multiple teeth contact the gear, for increased strength.

Arm3.jpg

Last edited:
there is no spring its called a floating Pawl.

I am going to order the 1/2 locking flex ratchet soon. these are awesome ratchets. I put craftsman premium ratchet kits in mine.

Anybody sells a locking flex extendable 3/8 low profile high teeth (at least 72) ratchet for down to earth price?

I've disassembled these ratchets multiple times, but I don't have one in front of me right now. But, I'm about 99% sure I remember how they go together.

There is a spring under the pawl that you just can't see in the pic I took. If I disassembled the mechanism, you could see it. There is a small spring-loaded pin under the pawl that pushes the pawl up towards the gear. The spring is under that pin. While the pawl is called "floating," that doesn't mean it isn't spring loaded.

EDIT -
I found a pic online. This is a GearWrench ratchet, but the mechanism is the same. You can actually swap mechanisms between the fine tooth Matco/Armstrong/Gearwrench ratchets.

P1050732.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I've disassembled these ratchets multiple times, but I don't have one in front of me right now. But, I'm about 99% sure I remember how they go together.

There is a spring under the pawl that you just can't see in the pic I took. If I disassembled the mechanism, you could see it. There is a small spring-loaded pin under the pawl that pushes the pawl up towards the gear. The spring is under that pin. While the pawl is called "floating," that doesn't mean it isn't spring loaded.

That is how the standard Craftsman ratchets are, anyway. A spring pushes on a ball bearing which in turn pushes on the pawl.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Anybody sells a locking flex extendable 3/8 low profile high teeth (at least 72) ratchet for down to earth price?

The Armstrong (about $60) is the only one you'll find that I'm aware of.

I've looked and it appears Snap-on and Matco/Armstrong are the only ones that offer locking flex ratchets. The Armstrong version is the cheapest of all three by far.

Here are links to the other two:

http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/BFR128LFT/3-8-DRIVE-88-TOOTH-LOCKING-FLEX-RATCHET/

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...re&tool=all

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
But the Armstrong is 60 teeth only and is not extendable.

I thought you meant long-pattern. Are you looking for the kind with the handle that can be shortened or lengthened with a telescoping mechanism? If so, then I've never seen a locking version of one of those.

Also, if you ever use ratchets with 60 and 72 teeth, you'll see it's not that much of a difference. So, I wouldn't discount it for that reason.

Last edited:
Stephen is right I forgot all about that spring when I made that post.

there really is not much difference between 60-80 tooth ratchets. 60 teeth is plenty.

I got the 3/8 Aerospace on your recommendation. It is Sweet! Thank you! Is the Craftsman kit made here? I'm leery of the latest Craftsman stuff, even those made here lately. Epsteins' says they will carry the 88 tooth Armstrong kit as soon as it's out. I can wait. I like the 60 tooth in the flex. Sure the 88 is smoother, but not enough to chance inferior parts in my sweet flex ratchet.

yes, the craftsman kit is made in USA. their premium ratchets are made by danaher tools i believe. same company that makes matco and Armstrong.

the aerospace ratchet is nice, the craftsman premiums are too. I really like the chrome on these ratchets. I ordered the 1/2 locking ratchet last night. I couldn't justify the other two aerospace ratchets at the moment.

glad you like your new ratchet!

I bought an Armstrong 1/2 inch flex ratchet several years ago and the chrome plating was peeling off of it. I warrantied it and the new one had the same issue. The ratchet has been a great tool minus that issue.

Last edited:
Wow, that's odd considering the perfect finish on the 2, 3/8" ratchets I got.

Today was the first time I got to do any real work with my 3/8 AeroSpace ratchet and it was as smooth as it looks... nice. thanks again Chadwilliam.

Last edited:
I used the Super Lube oil. it worked fine. I save the Superlube grease for fishing reels. I use the oil a lot more than the grease. The grease is kind of thick. The spray lube is ok, but, not cost effective.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back