Sears/Craftsman/USA=ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thirty cents or thirty dollars, the reality is that our own choices have perpetuated the situation.

Take two examples - first I am looking for a new through-wall AC unit. A few years ago I paid a premium, a decent premium over the Chinese stuff for a 5400 BTU Freidrich because both it was higher efficiency than the Chinese junk and especially because it was made in USA. Today the Freidrich units are made in Monterey, Mexico, so I can't get a US made wall unit anymore. They are the only "North American" manufacturer by their own admission, but that doesnt mean USA.

Second is a handheld battery tester that reports impedance. Couldnt find one that was made in the USA, nor could anyone else. In fact, that specific reporting is very difficult to find in any handheld tester besides specialized professional equipment. So I was stuck.

It is saddening, because is it better to do without, or buy something that one hates to based upon country of origin?

Unfortunately that is where more and more products are heading, again, by our own fault. Whether $30 or $0.30, it is people, American people loosing out. Perhaps that choice is the American way, but I am saddened and disappointed every time that my selection in products is forced elsewhere, e.g. another country because the "choice" was made that was not in the best interest of our country and manufacturing base. As that momentum gets eroded by lots of single decisions, more and more unfortunate situations will arise.

Why does the consumer always take the blame for companies moving their manufacturing overseas? If people think that this is happening solely because Americans are cheap, and they can't compete because everyone is buying Chinese stuff, you are delusional. Higher profits are the main reason that companies move their manufacturing to other countries.

If you had to decide between paying someone $20/hour to make something versus paying someone $20/day, the choice is pretty obvious. And the $20/day is likely being very generous.

Last edited:
Sounds like the simplest blame game: blame it on the 1% who pull in stock dividends and fat cat CEO pay and evily make these decisions for their own gain. While their own gain may be true and the case, I see both ends of the spectrum similarly in the wrong - the fat cat offshoring to up his bonus, and the lettle guy buying offshored stuff to save some money, not thinking of the basis of how his paycheck/benefits check/job is supported.

On a episode of the ABC station "Shark Tank" a guy had a very nice invention called "Invisi-Rack". This device was made for trucks & folded down out-of-sight. The two guys on the panel like it but wanted to take it overseas to manufacture it. The inventer said "NO", he wanted it to be made in the USA. Needless to say he got NO financial backing from no one. Just because he wanted it made in the USA. The panal said he would have made a fortune because it was cheaper to make overseas and sell to americans at a mark-up price. The guy wanted to keep the jobs HERE.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
On a episode of the ABC station "Shark Tank" a guy had a very nice invention called "Invisi-Rack". This device was made for trucks & folded down out-of-sight. The two guys on the panel like it but wanted to take it overseas to manufacture it. The inventer said "NO", he wanted it to be made in the USA. Needless to say he got NO financial backing from no one. Just because he wanted it made in the USA. The panal said he would have made a fortune because it was cheaper to make overseas and sell to americans at a mark-up price. The guy wanted to keep the jobs HERE.

Speaks volumes as to the mindset doesn't it? Sell your own countrymen down the river for a profit. It is disgusting.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Speaks volumes as to the mindset doesn't it? Sell your own countrymen down the river for a profit. It is disgusting.

Not too surprising. The sad reality is many businesses look to produce their products overseas and in many cases the consumer has little to no choice when it comes time to buy something. I bet if the inventor of the product mentioned above can't find someone in the US to produce it, so he can make a profit, he might be forced overseas to produce it. Or can the idea and make nothing, maybe?

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
I believe what we are experiencing is the degrading of the United States into a third world country.

Feel free to move out.
We're working to make it better and to get people to buy American again. At least me and the people I know.

Originally Posted By: jcwit

However we have nobody but ourselves to blame. We all made conscious decisions to buy something from a third world country in order to save a few dimes, with no real care for the person in the USA who was working to make the same thing. [/quote]

Sadly in almost all cases it amounted to much more than just a few dimes. The price spread is huge. [/quote]

As is the quality spread in most cases but no one seems to care anymore in this disposable society.

Eight people living in a "dorm" that is the size of a two-car garage. Sounds really pleasant to me......

That was the living condition as college students 20 years ago, and it was considered normal

Originally Posted By: dogwood1300
Eight people living in a "dorm" that is the size of a two-car garage. Sounds really pleasant to me......

That was the living condition as college students 20 years ago, and it was considered normal

Keyword college. As it should be. Kids arent there taking debt or spending parents' money to sip lattes and eat gourmet food like they do now. They are there to learn. No wonder we have so many worthless college graduates these days. Id love to hire a few people and cannot find one qualified.

But again, college. Not your lifetime career.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
I am still waiting to see the savings I am supposed to get on china made craftsman tools?

The savings that you will get is when you buy your tools from Harbor Freight instead. At least they pass along the made in China savings to you.

was at lowes and got some saw blades for my sawzaw and they are us made .. lenox by rubbermade ..iam parting out a 2004 pontiac gto so will see how they hold up as this will be a lot of cutting steel

I know this thread is old, but I happened to be reading up on old threads so now is when I reply. I saw this device on an recent episode of "Trucks" I think it was, and then this post caught my attention. So I googled the company and was happy to find this on their home page:

Quote:
July 12th, 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Tel: 515-265-7331 x1412
Email: [email protected]

DEE ZEE ANNOUNCES IT HAS ACQUIRED THE EXCLUSIVE WORLDWIDE LICENSE RIGHTS TO MANUFACTURE, MARKET AND DISTRIBUTE INVIS-A-RACK, THE INNOVATIVE CARGO MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.

Dee Zee, Inc., of Des Moines Iowa announces it has acquired the exclusive worldwide license rights of the Sparta, NC company Invis-A-Rack. Effective immediately, Dee Zee will take over manufacturing, marketing and distribution of this innovative cargo management system.

Donny McCall, inventor and founder of Invis-A-Rack, is very excited to be working with Dee Zee. “I am humbled and thankful that a company the size of Dee Zee would look at Invis-A-Rack the way I do and see the massive potential. Dee Zee had been on my radar for a few years as a company I thought would be a natural fit for Invis-A-Rack, but it wasn’t until after my episode of Shark Tank aired that I was contacted by them.” Donny had filmed a segment for the ABC television show Shark Tank, which first aired on January 27, 2012. Donny stood in front of the five “sharks” that could have invested in his company had he been willing to take manufacturing overseas. McCall, a US Navy veteran, told them no, that manufacturing would have to stay in the United States. “I believe in what I’m doing right now. So, if I can help in any way, I will. But that’s [going overseas] not a way I believe I want to help.” Donny walked away from a potential deal, but drew huge support for his made in America stance.

The Invis-A-Rack by Dee Zee cargo management system is unlike any traditional “ladder rack” on the market. Invis-A-Rack’s collapsible design makes it virtually disappear when folded down when not in use. But don’t be fooled by its sleek design. Invis-A-Rack is a full featured system that holds up to 500 lbs for either work or play.

Dee Zee Inc. is a leading manufacturer of light truck accessories distributing to all major “aftermarket” segments including Warehouse Distributors, Mass Retailers, Farm Store Retail Chains and Big Box Retailers. Dee Zee is also a major supplier to Original Equipment Manufacturers. Dee Zee will launch this new product line at the 2012 SEMA Show in Las Vegas starting October 30th. Dee Zee is issuing a challenge to the automotive industry to prove that a great product can be made in the U.S. and meet the price demands of today’s buyers.

If you’d like more information about this topic, or to schedule an interview with Dan Kruzic or product inventor Donny McCall email Dan at [email protected].

I think that counts as a score for a guy standing up for all of us here in the US. Hopefully they stick with his vision of keeping it here.

Oh, as for the OP of the thread. Remember Sears has a "Satisfaction" guarantee. If you are not satisfied for any reason (which includes country of origin!), you can return it for a refund.

Adam

just took my snapon made kolbalt 3/8 socket wrench to lowes for a replacement and no problems with lowes but the replacement is made in tiawan. it has 72 tooth ratchet so it will rotate less but strength is ?????

I've found a local tool supplier Wright Tool and am using them for a supplier. I tore out the entire rear suspension of my truck and replaced it. Needed a lot of uncommon tools that Wright had in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back