SAE Paper on Engine Wear with 20 wt. oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time ago I posted on here about living in Illinois from 1969-1973 when I was in grad school. It got pretty darn cold there in the winter and almost all the folks I knew that had pickups ran straight 20 weight oil in them. Never heard of a lube or engine problem. So using these lower viscosity oils 50 some years ago did not seem to be detrimental to the engines it was used in. Long before polymer coated bearings.
Straight SAE 20, as @Shannow has written on in the past, had a much higher HTHS visc. If you look at HPL's new monograde series, the one 5W-20 (SAE 20) has a higher HTHS than most 5W-30's.

Straight SAE 20, as @Shannow has written on in the past, had a much higher HTHS visc. If you look at HPL's new monograde series, the one 5W-20 (SAE 20) has a higher HTHS than most 5W-30's.
Would you have a link to that oil. That sounds like a great oil for those people who want to be able to say they are following their owner's manual recommendation of 0W-20/5W-20, but who want a HTHS well above 3.

And I feel this way - in a proper, “well-designed” engine, I don’t see a problem with 0W-20. But if it’s something that sees severe duty or is a problem child, I’ll use thicker but within reason oil. Done this on 4 cars already.

Not sure I understand the Why not but the topic of heavier oils used listed in owners manuals for cars/trucks in other countries continues to come up. Just wondering if someone here can actually provide a manual (screenshot or photo) with this info specific to the late model GM 5.3 V8?
The reason is not disclosed. A attempt to explain is blindfold guess.

Doesn't the winter rating not really matter that much especially if you are in a warm environment? Even if you do start your vehicle in cold weather, doesn't it warm up and fairly quickly and the thicker weight do the work? So is the argument that the 0w can cause damage during engine warm up?

Doesn't the winter rating not really matter that much especially if you are in a warm environment? Even if you do start your vehicle in cold weather, doesn't it warm up and fairly quickly and the thicker weight do the work? So is the argument that the 0w can cause damage during engine warm up?
0w won’t cause damage at warmup; there are just sacrifices made in the formulation that trades some characteristics and performance to make the oil more easily pumped when it’s really, really cold out.

Not necessarily. There have been improvements in coating technologies for bearings.

The OEMs didn't start employing special bearing coatings to accommodate thinner oils but rather auto stop/start.

That’s laughable! My kids went to school with Earnhardt’s daughter and Larry McReynolds kids. Attended many functions with them. Long discussions about freeing up horsepower and 20 weight oil was always used.
You are behind. They use 20W oil in the races, not just qualifying. Actually a couple of different varieties of 20W depending if it is a restrictor plate race or not. Nice to know their kid's worked in the engine room lol

You are behind. They use 20W oil in the races, not just qualifying. Actually a couple of different varieties of 20W depending if it is a restrictor plate race or not. Nice to know their kid's worked in the engine room lol
Yes and became world renowned engine builders. You’re a a smart@$&&!!!

Of all the things I've obsessed over with oil, viscosity was never one of them.
Please, let's have an academic and respectful discussion here.
The one single compelling colossal metric that convinced me to be in the "thick crowd" is the HTHS wear graph which shows running any oil lower than HTHS 2.6 (0W-20) results in exponentially higher engine wear.

Please let us know why the ultra thin crowd ignores this metric and why you feel this metric is not important.
That's the metric I always went by - HT/HS 2.6 was the low point. Anything at that or above that was ok. I never obsessed much over viscosity knowing that 99% of all engines can technically run multiple viscosities without issue.

They use 20W oil in the races, not just qualifying.
I don't think long term reliability is a concern for racecars, whatever lasts the race and performs the best is what counts. I don't think the builders would care if the engine exploded 5 seconds after being the first to pass the finish line.

Yes but the SAE grade designations have changed many times since then [1969-1973], and besides that [straight 20] was a grade recommended only for cold weather. I am quite certain the manufacturer did not recommend a 20-grade for hot weather operation. ...
In 1964, Chevrolet recommended either SAE 20 or 20W or 10W-30 for temperatures above 32°F---with no specific upper temperature limit. "For sustained high speed driving when the temperature is above 90°F, SAE 30 or SAE 10W-30 may be used."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back