High Performance Lubricants No VII series engine oils.

I do have to wonder if these oils would be the best for a hybrid. The no VII oils are a tad thicker when cold. Depending on climate, i'm thinking all the stop starts of a hybrid, that a true multigrade oil with some VII( like the HPL premium) might be better. Unless you are in a warm climate.
But all but one of those is “hot” or at least warm.

My issue is high speed driving on the interstate where start/stop still occurs. I’m confident that a primo synthetic, even if somewhat more viscous at 40C (which Id generally agree is an important parameter to keep low) is going to protect just fine at that first start in a temperate climate… while a more robust oil in small, heat soaked locations, is a beneficial compromise…

My hybird calls for 0W-16 which most oils found on the shelves of discount retailers have 40°C viscosity rating between 35-38 mm²/s.
This 'No VII Series' 5W-20 PCMO is 51.
Fuel economy loss will likely be noticeable. They do make a 0W16.

OK, when I hear the term "pour point depressants," that suggests to me that you have an oil with a fairly high viscosity, and then you insert additives that allow it to have a 0w rating. But it doesn't work that way? Or once you add them, they make the oil thinner? Or are pour point depressants a thing of the past?

Think of diesel anti gelling additives and you're not far off. You add something thzt prevents the waxes in the oil from making long chains. You don't reduce the viscosity, you prevent the oil solidifying.

But all but one of those is “hot” or at least warm.

My issue is high speed driving on the interstate where start/stop still occurs. I’m confident that a primo synthetic, even if somewhat more viscous at 40C (which Id generally agree is an important parameter to keep low) is going to protect just fine at that first start in a temperate climate… while a more robust oil in small, heat soaked locations, is a beneficial compromise…
I understand ! Agree with you based on those driving habits.

I personally don't see any advantage the 10W-30 would have over the 5W-30 unless the Noack is a lot lower. Normally, the inclination for people to go 10W-30 is based on the perception of it having less VII, but in this case, neither have VII.
You clearly missed the most interesting point, as a true bitoger, you must know that thicker is better. 😇

I personally don't see any advantage the 10W-30 would have over the 5W-30 unless the Noack is a lot lower. Normally, the inclination for people to go 10W-30 is based on the perception of it having less VII, but in this case, neither have VII.
Base oil viscosity would still be a hair higher, no?

Going from Total quart 0W-30 to Red Line 20W-50 made no noticeable fuel efficiency differences in my diesel, in fact I've ran some of my highest MPG on the RedLine.
Oil temps on a hybrid can stay pretty low if the vehicle is used for short in-town trips. That is where the higher viscosity will probably be most noticeable.

Oil temps on a hybrid can stay pretty low if the vehicle is used for short in-town trips. That is where the higher viscosity will probably be most noticeable.

Ok, but the oil temp stays low because the engine isn't running much? then oil viscosity won't matter much of the time either

Ok, but the oil temp stays low because the engine isn't running much? then oil viscosity won't matter much of the time either
It really depends on the platform and their strategy. But compared to a conventional ICE, less run time and lower load.

I do have to wonder if these oils would be the best for a hybrid. The no VII oils are a tad thicker when cold. Depending on climate, i'm thinking all the stop starts of a hybrid, that a true multigrade oil with some VII( like the HPL premium) might be better. Unless you are in a warm climate.
hybrids are just like any other vehicle. The engine makes one cold start. I’d think these oils would be advantageous for repeated warm starts. Additionally, the added protection of a robust oil is a great way to extend engine life. Don’t forget there are plenty of hybrids with oil
consumption problems. Which seems to be the way they fail. Why not protect against what’s likely?

Back