ruger single six

i recently took mine out for several outdoor shooting sessions over the past two weeks. fed it a wide variety of 300 rounds of 22wmr and 700 rounds of 22lr ammo: s&b, fiocchi, aguila, winchester, remington, cci, federal, herters. being a revolver all except one, a herters 22lr round, went bang. i had stashed up on rimfire ammo after the last ammo drought.

if you enjoy shooting then a ruger single six should be yours. it’s built to last forever. single action slows down the ammo burn rate and forces proper target acquisition. rimfire is easy and magnum ammo is less sharp/more pleasant outdoors. i’m not a big fan of 22wmr out of a handgun, but from a ruger single six it is a useful option for protection.

I got my single six when I was 13. I'm now 51. Been a while since it has been out.

Yeah I have one. SOme of the metal stained, but otherwise no real complaints. I cant say its as accurate as my S&W 17/18/617, but it is what it is.

Youre absolutely right about the slowing down, acquiring a target, etc... To me that makes for enjoyable shooting.

I just acquired two, like new Single Sixes . One blue , one stainless . They are hard to find . You can buy a Wrangler anywhere but a Single Six is extinct around here .

If you want to talk about revolvers, and the Ruger Single Six in particular, great.

Dragging the thread into police marksmanship and public policy is wildly off topic.

Those posts have been removed.

8437A192-DA9A-4EC6-87D7-C8786B7CC342.jpeg

Yeah I just bought 2 at Academy.....for 200 bucks whats the downside?
That depends on what you feel qualifies as a negative in firearms construction. A lot of the marketing philosophy today involving the manufacture of firearms parallels the business model of, "Build em' cheap, and stack em' deep".

Ruger is able to sell Wranglers by the boxcar load, for $200 bucks a pop and still make money. Because they don't put a lot into them material and construction wise. And they can build them fast, and by the train load. The frame is cast of Aluminum, not machined from Stainless steel. The final finish is also much more crude and rougher, and is designed to hide the imperfections of high speed manufacturing.

It's parts are not assembled with the precision of the Single Six. Assembly is much faster, because tolerances are looser. But you pay for that in a much less refined action when compared to a Single Six, that retails for $869.00, or over 4 times as much as the Wrangler.

Today Single Six's, (in either Stainless or blued steel), are not easy to come by either. Many distributors and retailers are out of stock. Including Davidson's, which is the largest distributor of Ruger firearms in the country. And when they get any in, they're usually in small amounts, and are gone in hours.

They are a much slower and more costly firearm to build. They are also of heirloom quality, and in high demand by people who are willing to pay for such. While Wranglers are everywhere for cheap.

I bought a NEW S&W .22LR Revolver several years ago.

Pretty junky for the price!

Trigger is complete garbage. I had to put a kit in and it's a bit better. It's still not accurate and the forcing cone looks really ugly.

Ugg.

I bought a NEW S&W .22LR Revolver several years ago.

Pretty junky for the price!

Trigger is complete garbage. I had to put a kit in and it's a bit better. It's still not accurate and the forcing cone looks really ugly.

Ugg.
What model? I bought a 617 a few years back and it was fine. Of course I prefer my 1950s S&W revolvers, but that’s more because the 617 is a bigger beast.

My ruger .22 single six is meh. I like it well enough, but not my preferred revolver.

Back