Ruger Mini-14, yay or nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's your collection. You have to prioritize.

If you are at the say 5 rifle volume in your collection, it could logically be #6. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If most of your shooting is range time with range toys, it might be a good addition ...

If you are working on accuracy and your bolt gun stuff, it's prolly not the time to add one ...

If you shoot on BLM or USFS land and need to carry a few weapons and calibers, does it fit your existing caliber selection?

I personally think they are over priced for what you get. But id it is what you want and you are willing to pay the asking price, go for it.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
.....I paid more than that for my Mini 30 back in around 2005.

The Ruger Mini 14's have been steadily climbing in price. Where as AR-15's, are all over the place. Their pricing is, and always has been subject to far too much political speculation. Rather than what they are actually worth. Especially in states where they are faced with heavy regulation. If Clinton had won, AR-15 prices would be double or more what they are now. Just based on that. Same with Hi-Cap AR magazines. Politics control the supply and demand of AR-15's, and that supply and demand is what controls prices. It's been this way with these things since the 2008 election, over a decade ago.

The Ruger Mini 14 seems to have less political vulnerability. In spite of the fact it's a 30 shot, semi auto .223. It isn't mentioned in the news, or by the anti gunners every 15 minutes. So it's availability, along with it's pricing remains more stable. It doesn't have the scary pistol grip, along with that horribly evil bayonet lug. And with it's wood stock, it doesn't have the "military look", that makes liberals grab the women and children and lock the doors every time they see one.

So prices have been steadily chugging along upward. Governed by things like inflation and manufacturing costs. Not which political party gets elected. Another nice thing, is Ruger now has this rifle configured just about any way you could possibly want it. In either Stainless or blued. From a standard wood stock with a plain barrel, to the black synthetic stock, with a barrel equipped with a flash hider. All the way to the ATI Stock that would scare any anti gunner out of half of their life. And just about anything and everything in between. All right from the factory. I would say if you buy that Mini for $600.00 and take care of it, you should have no trouble getting your money back should you ever try to sell it. It's a nice rifle at a good price.

The only other thing I would add about these rifles, is the fact they are nowhere near as ammo sensitive as the larger Garand / M-14 / M1-A / .308 / .30-06 series of guns are. In spite of being a smaller version of the same action. I have seen a lot of Mini 14's over the last 40+ years. But I have never seen one with a cracked receiver, or a bent op-rod for that matter. (I'm sure someone will find one and post a pic of it). But they are nowhere near as prevalent.

You can shoot most any bullet weight loaded with most any burn rate powder available. And the gun will digest it just fine. Some Ruger Mini 14's will violently eject the brass into the next county, depending on what ammo you are running in them. And some have been known to dent and damage cases. But I have never come across one that wouldn't run on whatever factory ammo it was being fed at the time.

Some have experienced misfires in Ruger Mini 30 guns with steel cased Russian or European 7.62 X 39 MM ammo, because of the hard primers they contain. But I've never seen a .223 / 5.56 MM Ruger Mini 14 not function due to an ammunition related problem. They are very dependable rifles.

Originally Posted By: billt460
The only other thing I would add about these rifles, is the fact they are nowhere near as ammo sensitive as the larger Garand / M-14 / M1-A / .308 / .30-06 series of guns are. In spite of being a smaller version of the same action. I have seen a lot of Mini 14's over the last 40+ years. But I have never seen one with a cracked receiver, or a bent op-rod for that matter. (I'm sure someone will find one and post a pic of it). But they are nowhere near as prevalent.

You can shoot most any bullet weight loaded with most any burn rate powder available. And the gun will digest it just fine. Some Ruger Mini 14's will violently eject the brass into the next county, depending on what ammo you are running in them. And some have been known to dent and damage cases. But I have never come across one that wouldn't run on whatever factory ammo it was being fed at the time.

Some have experienced misfires in Ruger Mini 30 guns with steel cased Russian or European 7.62 X 39 MM ammo, because of the hard primers they contain. But I've never seen a .223 / 5.56 MM Ruger Mini 14 not function due to an ammunition related problem. They are very dependable rifles.

Thanks for all the great info!

Thanks for all the comments and info, everyone! I'm still undecided, but will update if I decide to get it.

The only other thing I would add about these rifles, is the fact they are nowhere near as ammo sensitive as the larger Garand / M-14 / M1-A / .308 / .30-06 series of guns are. In spite of being a smaller version of the same action.

I've had two Mini 14s (181 and 183 series) and a Mini-14GB. Reliability on all of them was hit and miss. Unloaded them all by the mid 1990s. In the 5.56 caliber class, I couldn't justify the ridiculous magazine prices from Ruger. I had two of their cast gas blocks crack and had to send for replacements. After market mags were junk.

Yes, the Mini-14/30 look like a miniaturized M14, but the gas system is closer to that of the M-1 Carbine than the M14. I kept the M14s (and an M1A I got) and have put many cases of milsurp ammo through them over the years. With USGI magazines, they function flawlessly. I've never had issues with the GI op rods in the M14 platform - the trick is to grease 'em where they need greased.

If you have Mini 14s that run - God love ya for it. They ARE fun to shoot. Take 'em and run. Your experience has been much better than mine.

I have a 30, and bought a 14 ranch rifle for my wife when the media was hysterical over Newtown. $599 seems like a very reasonable price. I don't recall the gun grabbers ever getting in a lather over the Mini's. The magazine situation is what it is - been a while since I bought any, but I don't recall them being any more confiscatory than anything else.

If the mag situation really bugs you, there is always the Benelli MR1 ( not sure if it is still available in the U. S. ) - it will take some AR-15 mags. Be advised it takes three hands and the tongue held just right to reassemble one.

Originally Posted By: Win
The magazine situation is what it is - been a while since I bought any, but I don't recall them being any more confiscatory than anything else.....

Actually the magazine situation for the Mini 14 is about the best it's ever been. I remember when Bill Ruger was alive, the Ruger Hi-Cap 20 round mags were not for sale to the general public. Only to law enforcement. If you found one they were priced in the Stratosphere. I remember seeing a few at gun shows for $100.00+.... And they sold!

Back then the 30 rounders weren't even on the market. Today they're everywhere. And if you watch they go on sale from places like CDNN Sports and gunmagwarehouse.com on a pretty regular basis.

Ruger Mini's never ran well on aftermarket mags. Once and a while you might get lucky, but for the most part they're not worth messing with. Just bite the bullet and buy genuine Ruger magazines.

I'm a big Ruger fan! That said, every Mini I have ever shot has been near impossible to zero. Wood stocks are the best bet and will be more accurate for some reason. The folding stocks... forget about it.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the platform and have owned the 14 and the 30 at one point. Solid rifles but not so good on accuracy, price, price point of mags.

Ruger Mini's never ran well on aftermarket mags. Once and a while you might get lucky, but for the most part they're not worth messing with. Just bite the bullet and buy genuine Ruger magazines.

True.

When I bought my Mini 30, it was during the time when they weren’t selling the 20-round Ruger mags to the public. I tried a few different aftermarket mags and none would work worth a darn.

When they became available, I bought a couple of the Ruger 20-rounders, and they’ve worked flawlessly.

To my knowledge, the highest capacity mags Ruger made for the Mini 30 were 20-round.

Yes you should ABSOLUTELY buy it. Why? its worth more than that, and you can turn around and sell it for a profit tomorrow if you don't like it. But chances are you will love this rifle and keep it.

That being said, they are a very handy little carbine. They just feel great in the hand. I have a safe full of AR's, but I will NEVER sell my Mini-14. Its is just a cool little fun plinker to have in the collection. I have perhaps 4000 rounds down range in my mini, brass case and steel case Russian, and it has never jammed once.

As to accuracy, I have never shot as small of a group with an AR (using open sights) as I have with my Mini 14. I can straight slay paper targets with my mini's open sights. It is dead on accurate. I cant explain it, but I am very accurate with this rifles open sights. They are so good I plan to leave it that way. My AR's get more modern sighting options, but the Mini 14 keeps the open sights.

You don't need a ton of mags for it. You probably wouldn't pick that is as your go to war rifle over an AR15, so in reality you only need a few magazines.

You can get 10 AR15 mags for $80 and it would make a better SHTF rifle. So buy lots of mags for your AR15, and dont worry about the Mini. Thats my theory at least.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yes you should ABSOLUTELY buy it. Why? its worth more than that, and you can turn around and sell it for a profit tomorrow if you don't like it.

This is very true. I just checked, and Davidson's, (the largest Ruger distributor in the country), currently shows an MSRP of $999.00 for the cheapest wood stocked .223 Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle. I know that the street price on most all Rugers is substantially below their MSRP. But $600.00 is a straight up 40% savings on a brand new gun. No way you could lose money on a resale. Regardless if it's new or used when you sell it.

Yes you should ABSOLUTELY buy it. Why? its worth more than that, and you can turn around and sell it for a profit tomorrow if you don't like it.

I know that the street price on most all Rugers is substantially below their MSRP.

Shoot one you'll know why!

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

I know that the street price on most all Rugers is substantially below their MSRP.

Shoot one you'll know why!
You'll find that they're very reliable. Having used both the mini and ARs, I have to say IME the minis have been more reliable in general as long as you use factory mags.

I hope you got it. The Mini is a nice gun to have in the collection and an all American classic.

I have to say though that I have had better reliability with my ARs than I ever had with my Mini-14s (2 of them). Just bad luck I guess, but I'd trust my AR-15s if I ever needed to depend on a rifle before I'd trust any Mini-14.

If y'all had a choice between an M1 Carbine and a Mini 14, which would you choose?

The Mini 14 hands down. The M1 Carbine is a good, well built weapon. But in a lousy, expensive, underpowered cartridge. The .223 / 5.56 MM is a much better, more accurate, more powerful, much longer range cartridge. And both are in similar size, style, and weight guns that hold the same amount of ammunition.

If y'all had a choice between an M1 Carbine and a Mini 14, which would you choose?

Depends on intended use. For PD, I'd take the M1 carbine with JHP to avoid overpenetration noting M1 carbine in ball or RNSP will penetrate Level III body armor (check youtube).

For full out combat where overpenetration and collateral damage is just part of the package, the Mini 14 would be more appropriate.

For hunting deer, feral pigs, etc. either will do the job with the right ammo in brush country. Past 100 yards the Mini 14 would be the better choice.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Depends on intended use. For PD, I'd take the M1 carbine with JHP to avoid overpenetration noting M1 carbine in ball or RNSP will penetrate Level III body armor (check you tube).

This brings up another good point in favor of the Mini 14. There is very little to choose from in .30 Carbine ammunition. FMJ Ball, and some ineffective 110 Gr. Soft Point and hollow point. With .223 / 5.56 MM there is an all but unlimited choice in ammunition for just about every task you could possibly think of. There is frangible for personal home defense that will not over penetrate. Light thin jacketed, exploding varmint bullets. Soft point, hollow point, Ballistic Tip, FMJ, all in just about any and every bullet weight from 40 to 80 grains. And everything in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back