AR-15 vs. Mini 14 Cost

Nothing more than supply and demand. There must be a 100 companies out there that make AR guns, uppers, lowers, and parts. Some are pure crap. Others are super nice guns. Ruger has decided that their AR offerings are closer to the lower middle. It appears that they are more interested on selling their AR offerings on a price point, instead of competing with the nice ones.

Meanwhile, they have kept the Mini 14 as a much nicer gun. Much lower demand, so they don't have to compete against everyone that wants a chunk of the market, like it is in the AR market.
Exactly. Back in the day you bought a Mini from Ruger or an AR from Colt. Now you buy an AR from one of a gazillion makers, and that’s assuming you don’t just buy a poverty pony lower for $40 and order a $199 parts kit from Bear Creek or PSA. For the Mini there’s still only Ruger and in the ban states they have a captive market.

If Remington ever brought back the 7615 they would sell a battleship full of them. Talk about an idea ahead of it’s time…

Last edited:
in my 'gun life" since 2001 I have owned 3 different mini-14's (one older setup & 2 after ruger improved them)...all ran well & had acceptable accuracy (later ones were slightly more accurate); again since 2001 I have owned 7 ar's from 6 different companies...oh boy the issues!

ban era bushmaster...feeding issues; dpms...torqued barrel at gas port/ front sight staking & shooting way to right at 25 yards; stag arms...torqued barrel at gas block crimping & shooting way to left at 25 yards; ruger...good overall (sold to a friend who wouldn't sell back 2 years later); radical firearms ×2...both good overall (sold one & currently own one); psa...2 of 3 gas rings broke in first 225 rounds;

would luv another mini 14 but can't afford it so I have a radical ar...

I like my old mini but it isnt easy to mount a scope on.So over the years i had it in a bullpup conversion but restored it and shoots .223 without fail.The AR10 has so many accessories I might try another AR15

Last edited:
I had a Mini 14 many years ago . I would love to have another one . I have an AR that I never shoot . I'll hang on to it just because ...

I wouldn’t argue that the mini is better other then it hasn’t failed me in40 yrs and without a mag it looks less menacing to the rabid slobbering (fill in the blank) people.If that is or will be a issue.

Sort of like AR-10 vs. M1A.

The M-1A, particularly with a walnut hand guard, looks like a hunting rifle.

Same ammo, same magazine capacity.

But to the ignorant, appearances matter more than functionality.

Sort of like AR-10 vs. M1A.

The M-1A, particularly with a walnut hand guard, looks like a hunting rifle.

Same ammo, same magazine capacity.

But to the ignorant, appearances matter more than functionality.
Exactly my thoughts,but since getting a good M1 again is too
IMG_0638.jpeg
is too complicated I gave in to the AR10.20 rounds beats 8.

Exactly my thoughts,but since getting a good M1 again is tooView attachment 202387is too complicated I gave in to the AR10.20 rounds beats 8.
Ah, sorry, I am a huge Garand fan, but when I said, M-1A, I meant this:

In walnut. With a walnut hand guard, bought here:

For which I have several 20 round magazines.

My AR-10 is a good rifle, but I do love the M1A. Something about walnut and blued steel…

Ah, sorry, I am a huge Garand fan, but when I said, M-1A, I meant this:

In walnut. With a walnut hand guard, bought here:

For which I have several 20 round magazines.

My AR-10 is a good rifle, but I do love the M1A. Something about walnut and blued steel…
Agreed I love a wood stock on a rifle I lean towards 30-06

I see no reason why the Mini should be the cost it is today. It is not like they dont know how to make them, or the machining processes are any more complex.

AR15 are so cheap these days because everyone has them, and they have been "scienced" to the hilt. Couple that with the Obama election, and the "going to be Hillary" election scares by gun manufacturers, which made them pump out a boat load of parts, which in turn flooded the market.

All in all, I think the Mini 14 is a better gun in the long run than the AR15, mechanically, but not so much in practical use.

Back