AR-15 vs. Mini 14 Cost

Remember when AR's and Ruger Mini 14's were the same price? In fact, I remember it wasn't all that long ago when AR's were sometimes priced a bit higher. The only exception today are the really high end piston AR's from places like LWRC, LMT, and POF. They're still high.

But now Ruger Mini's are priced substantially higher. Some by an over 2 to 1 margin. And they're not everywhere like they used to be. While everyone and their brother is making AR's, and parts are becoming really cheap. The market is literally flooded with them. This past week I just bought a complete Mil Spec bolt carrier group for just $69.00.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that most everyone who wants an AR, now has one...... Or more. I like both, and have several of each. The Ruger Mini's are a bit tougher to get to shoot accurately. In fact some of the earlier ones didn't group, they more or less, "patterned".

But since Ruger retooled and assembled the gas block with better care and fitting, I've seen Mini's that can outshoot their owners with descent factory ammo.

I wonder what the extent of ban states have on the mini platform. I believe many ban states exclude the mini from their assault weapon(s) ban. I'm not a mini fan, yet I love my Deerfield Carbie 44 and have enjoyed 10-22's since I was a kid. I have a stainless mini-30 that I keep but it rarely sees range time.

I wonder what the extent of ban states have on the mini platform. I believe many ban states exclude the mini from their assault weapon(s) ban. I'm not a mini fan, yet I love my Deerfield Carbie 44 and have enjoyed 10-22's since I was a kid. I have a stainless mini-30 that I keep but it rarely sees range time.
The "non tactical" models that don't have a pistol grip, and a 5 round magazine are exempt from many of the bans. (Like the one my link shows). Of course an ATI stock and a 20 or 30 round aftermarket magazine, and you're in possession of an illegal firearm in many of those states.

Yes, it's foolish and stupid. But let's face it, most of these "gun bans" are..... Exact same gun configured differently.

Illegal :

Legal :

The Mini series rifle is one gun that I have always wanted, but never bought.

One reason has been cost, although they have been reasonable the same amount for 20 years. Another is, I have a few rifles that are "better" for what I would use that style rifle for, and it not an AR.

So if you compare cost, start with a like priced AR these days. You can get quite a nicely made ( above milspec) unit for the same price as the Mini, provided you leave the gun alone and dont put 1000 bucks worth of lasers and red dots and stickers and such on the AR.

Magazines are big difference, as i would only recommend Ruger mags in the Mini. AR mags are a dime a dozen, and reliable mags for the AR can be had for less than 10 bucks each, the Ruger mags are in the 50$ realm.

In terms of reliability, I think they are close, with the Mini edging out that for serviceability on the operator level. Servicablity on the Mini at the armorer level is quite a different thing. Above the operator level, the AR is a VERY easy gun to fix, the Mini is not.

All in all, the value between the two is different. For the price of a standard Mini, you can buy a AR, and a case of ammo.

@billt460 are you thinking of buying one or the other?

Still need to headspace those parts if you are building a 15 platform. Although all the parts have "mil-spec" tolerances, if you're using a barrel from one place, BCG from another and an upper from yet another, it is possible to get a combo that won't work together....shouldn't happen but it does, you're dealing with a .003 tolerance window spread across 3 different manufacturers.
AR10s are different because they don't have that mil-spec standard. It was a PITA to build my 308win AR10 and get it right.

Like Quigley said "I never had a use for one".
Garand.jpg

which do you think is the better?
The AR is far more accurate overall, and offers all but total interchangeability. Magazines are available everywhere cheap. And in most any capacity up to 100 rounds. And they all run well.

You can configure them into just about any type of weapon imaginable. In most any barrel length. From pistols to carbines, to long range target rifles. You can swap out a complete bolt carrier group in just seconds, and keep shooting.

Forends are available to mount up most any kind of bipod you could want. Not to mention lasers, foregrips, sling swivels, name it and you can stick it on a AR in minutes.

They are easy to mount most any optic on, from a EO-Tech, or red dot, all the way up to 30X target scopes in any kind of ring setup you could possibly want.

The Mini offers the Garand / M-14 type action that has proven itself in a World War. Mini's are very reliable, albeit at the expense of mediocre accuracy. They are popular with several police departments and prison systems as duty weapons.

They're very rugged, but more difficult and time consuming to field strip and replace parts on. They tend to be a bit overgassed, and throw brass into the next county.

They are handy, and are a lot of fun to shoot. But there isn't anywhere near as many aftermarket products produced for customization compared to the AR. If I had to go with only one, I would choose the AR. But I don't think I would ever get rid of any of my Mini 14's.

One time I decided to go a different route in 2012 and bought a nice Mini-30. Nice until I took it to the range. Even scoped it to be sure it wasn't me but it wouldn't put 5 shots on a paper plate at 100 yards. Sold it on and forgot about the Mini platform. Worst shooting rifle I ever owned. Knew Minis were "mediocre" as Bill put it but didn't expect that. There are things you can do and fixtures you can attach to make them shoot better but I wasn't interested. Still like the platform. Bought/sold around $500 IIRC.

Still need to headspace those parts if you are building a 15 platform. Although all the parts have "mil-spec" tolerances, if you're using a barrel from one place, BCG from another and an upper from yet another, it is possible to get a combo that won't work together....shouldn't happen but it does, you're dealing with a .003 tolerance window spread across 3 different manufacturers.
AR10s are different because they don't have that mil-spec standard. It was a PITA to build my 308win AR10 and get it right.
So far all the ones I have thrown together, but one closed tight on a go gauge.
Had one barrel that would close on on no-go gauge using ever bolt I could find.

So far all the ones I have thrown together, but one closed tight on a go gauge.
Had one barrel that would close on on no-go gauge using ever bolt I could find.
As I build a couple of AR-10s, the first thing I bought was go-no go gauges for the calibers in which I'm building them. This is a critical step, often ignored by the home builder.

For the mini-14 vs. AR-15 discussion, I would ask what my M-1A does that my AR-10 does not?

Well, nothing, I guess...except run perfectly out of the box. The M-1A is heavier, slightly less accurate, and costs more. Magazines are more expensive. Optic mounting is more complex.

I love the walnut and steel of the M-1A and it's dead on reliable with everything I've put through it. My AR-10 (a DPMS, bought new) has not been as reliable as that M-1A even though it's very accurate rifle.

I think it's undergassed, as it still doesn't like 7.62X51 all the time but will run great on actual .308. That's another story...

But in the end, despite the disadvantages on paper, I like the M-1A more. I like the walnut and steel. I like how easy it is to shoot. I love its reliability. I also love that regular folks look at it and think "Hunting Rifle" when it equals the AR-10 in capacity and performance.

I think I just talked myself into getting a Mini-14...

As I build a couple of AR-10s, the first thing I bought was go-no go gauges for the calibers in which I'm building them. This is a critical step, often ignored by the home builder.

For the mini-14 vs. AR-15 discussion, I would ask what my M-1A does that my AR-10 does not?

Well, nothing, I guess...except run perfectly out of the box. The M-1A is heavier, slightly less accurate, and costs more. Magazines are more expensive. Optic mounting is more complex.

I love the walnut and steel of the M-1A and it's dead on reliable with everything I've put through it. My AR-10 (a DPMS, bought new) has not been as reliable as that M-1A even though it's very accurate rifle.

I think it's undergassed, as it still doesn't like 7.62X51 all the time but will run great on actual .308. That's another story...

But in the end, despite the disadvantages on paper, I like the M-1A more. I like the walnut and steel. I like how easy it is to shoot. I love its reliability. I also love that regular folks look at it and think "Hunting Rifle" when it equals the AR-10 in capacity and performance.

I think I just talked myself into getting a Mini-14...

Would have had to have been in the 1990s
correct, also of note when a Norinco AK was $189.99.

Back