RSX Balljoints (Keep or replace car)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Bad news from the dealer... My 2003 RSX needs balljoints

1440 parts, 720 labor, plus tie rods, $400 p/l, and a Cat Converter heat shield, 250 p/l

I posted on an RSX specific forum, everyone seems to think these numbers are fair for the work.

Having said that, what do you all think? Should I dump money into it, or pawn it off and get something else? I really don't think it is worth it.

I was considering:
2005/2006 Sebring (2.7L (supposedly fixed by this year))
2007 Sebring (LOVE this car)
2005-2007 Five Hundred (LOVE this car)
2003-2004 Accord (meh...)
And perhaps someone I know has a very nice 2002 Maxima that I might be able to cut a deal on, but I'm not too big on Nissan.

What do you guys think? Does it make sense at 86k to cut it loose? And which cars should I look into replacing it with?

Thanks!

EDIT: Also found out via Experian and Carfax today that the previous owner was in an accident, which makes me less comfortable about the projected longevity of this car if I were to put more money into it.

Last edited:
Find a different shop ASAP. I could do all of my suspension rebuild on my M for what the stealership is quoting you for just balljoints and tie rod ends...

Definately find a good quality mechanic that you trust. Those prices sound like you're shopping for a Porsche not an acura.

Im thinking you could come close to cutting that repair bill in half by shopping for an independent repair shop.

$1440 for parts...what does that include? Does your car have aluminum control arms?

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Im thinking you could come close to cutting that repair bill in half by shopping for an independent repair shop.

I doubt it, any decent independent shop is going to be as much as the dealer, if not more.

I would have said shop around, but if people from the RSX forums are saying that's a fair price, that says something.

I vote 03 and up Accord.

are you mechanically inclined? those are not hard parts to replace at all....just requires some nut loosening and then an alignment...

Go to a parts store and buy the chassis parts,get the shield from a dealer,and find someone local to do the work.That labor has to be $100 per hour.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Hi all,

Bad news from the dealer... My 2003 RSX needs balljoints

1440 parts...

That's $1440 JUST for parts?

Are there anything special about them? I see them on Rockauto.com for $25-$50 each, depending on brand name. I imagine they're pressed in? IE, you don't need new control arms, right? If it was me I'd just buy the $41 Raybestos ball joints, rent the press from Autozone and do it myself on the next dry and sunny weekend and be done with it.

I would be tempted to price RockAuto for the better name parts Moog, Raybestos, TRW, all pro grade if they have a choice, and then put ads in Craigs List in several local editions under both auto parts and also services. Call and talk, get a fixed price if possible for the whole thing, e-mail him with written description of what he will do and total price. Don't get too legal or you may scare some off - them thinking you are a PITA. Dealer costs include high cost real estate on main drag, loads of other expenses - sign permits, paid update training for mechanics on new 2012 features, etc. Ask the guy you select if he needs anything else, get it in advance, maybe even anti seize and things heshould have. Haven't done it yet but guy working out of house quoted me $100 for 4 ball joints on pick up, I just ordered MOOG at $42 each, could have bought China for $12 each. Different type car but same concept. Acuras aren't THAT rare.Good luck.

You could buy tools, manuals, and rent a rack to do this for much less. MUCH less.
Those prices are outrageous.
But I am not intimately familiar with that particular vehicle. There may be bad design problems.

I did both sides on my CRX over the weekend. Upper control arms with ball joints...$164 parts, scotch on the rocks and a cigar to myself for another job well done as labor charges.

All the shops in this area will not use the parts you supply. They don't want to be held responsible for your mis-ordering or poor quality parts, among other reasons.

When the tranny on my 100k mile F250SD went out a couple of years ago, it was over $1k cheaper to use a local shop chain. It was a simple remove and replace with a rebuilt trans. $3k+ for the dealer, $2k+ for the independent shop.

I was coaching a young man here at work this month on a brake job he was needing. The shop he went to wanted $700. He saved a lot by doing it himself, but he didn't buy enough tools during the episode. I told him for every $1 he spends on tools he'll save $100 over the life of the tool. He's young, so it may be more. I still have tools I bought in my first welding job in 1976. They're still saving me $$$.

Goto Hondaa king in Alston, great honda mechanics and good prices. The price you are being quoted is crazy high, for the amount of parts you need.

Acura dealership work is nice with loaner and free car wash and showroom. However you pay dearly for it especially out of warranty.

Try an independent shop and get an estimate for sure. Maybe not in the nicer part of town either. My brother from Andover goes over to Lawerence and prices are really much better (brakes were 40% of price). They lock his car into a lot.

Wow, I'd be shocked if I couldn't do that myself in an afternoon for under $300 plus the cost of a wheel alignment. Quality ball joints are $50 each or less at RockAuto and quality tie-rod ends are $25 each or less.

Nice car. I'd get some more quotes and fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back