What features have gone away (that you would like to keep)

Again Blame Tesla and the schizophrenic Musketeer for starting/pushing the "giant screen/ lets remove all of the knobs" trend. I still can't believe that you have to use the screen and scroll through a menu to open the glovebox. What sadistic bonehead thought that was a good idea? Oh right never mind.
Honestly, I'm just on this thread for the humor. I've never in my 65 years heard the phrases "schizophrenic Musketeer" or "sadistic bonehead." That is definitely creative cursing. I almost fell out of my chair. Aside from wholeheartedly agreeing, thanks for the belly laughs. No one I know under 30 can even spell "schizophrenic."

Last edited:
The stronger A pillar makes hitting that pedestrian safer for the driver. :p
With thicker pillars the driver has to compensate for decreased visibility by moving his head a little more.
Absolutely right. I used to drive every work day across a pedestrian walkway that was at an angle to the roadway. One day I didn't see a pedestrian until the very last second. They had been completely hidden by the A pillar.

I learned that I needed to move my head around to ensure seeing a pedestrian in that situation. I do that automatically now.

The stronger A pillar makes hitting that pedestrian safer for the driver. :p
With thicker pillars the driver has to compensate for decreased visibility by moving his head a little more.
It also strengthens the roof in case of a rollover. Sweetie complained about the poor vision in her Prius and I, while not complaining, find a similar situation in the Camry, both with the A-pillar and the B-pillar.

Ashtrays, red velour interiors , automatic seatbelts (especially when they break), bucket front seat so my girlfriend can sit in middle with a lap belt on.

Absolutely right. I used to drive every work day across a pedestrian walkway that was at an angle to the roadway. One day I didn't see a pedestrian until the very last second. They had been completely hidden by the A pillar.

I learned that I needed to move my head around to ensure seeing a pedestrian in that situation. I do that automatically now.
Kind of like driving in the wintertime with the whole windshield covered in ice except for than one little six-inch square that has been scraped clean... If you move your head around enough you can still see! ;)

It also strengthens the roof in case of a rollover. Sweetie complained about the poor vision in her Prius and I, while not complaining, find a similar situation in the Camry, both with the A-pillar and the B-pillar.
Strong pillars are not only important to strengthen the roof itself but are components integral to the structural rigidity and integrity of the whole vehicle. With an average interpupillary distance of only 63mm and A-pillars being wider than that the dead angle/blind spot can only be compensated for by moving the head laterally left and right. The C-pillars are usually even more intrusive.

Last edited:
Cowl vents.
Do you recall that, before cowl vents, the windshield would crank open leaving an area at the bottom to allow fresh air to enter the cabin? An uncle had a '30s-something Dodge that had that feature and I really enjoyed it when he'd ask me to crank the window.

I also recall that some cars in the '40s and '50s had vents in the footwell.

But do you really want a return to cowl vents or are you just remembering them with, perhaps, a certain fondness? You can also fondly remember, and perhaps lament the passing of, vacuum-operated windshield wipers.

I'd like to have the high beam button on the floor. Also I had an Opel in the 70's that had a floor button for the windshield washer.
Am I showing my age?

It would be great if we could still choose our options instead of having to accept "packages" that include items we don't want, or buy upgraded models in order to get what we desire.
Amen to that. I ordered cars 30 years ago and it was lots more fun and took some time to research and then take the list to the dealer. Now: color interior: black or tan only choices. Terrible

Quote:
Honestly, I'm just on this thread for the humor. I've never in my 65 years heard the phrases "schizophrenic Musketeer" or "sadistic bonehead." That is definitely creative cursing. I almost fell out of my chair. Aside from wholeheartedly agreeing, thanks for the belly laughs.

Now that's funny stuff to call the self proclaimed genius guy who boaght Twitter.

Do you recall that, before cowl vents, the windshield would crank open leaving an area at the bottom to allow fresh air to enter the cabin? An uncle had a '30s-something Dodge that had that feature and I really enjoyed it when he'd ask me to crank the window.

I also recall that some cars in the '40s and '50s had vents in the footwell.

But do you really want a return to cowl vents or are you just remembering them with, perhaps, a certain fondness? You can also fondly remember, and perhaps lament the passing of, vacuum-operated windshield wipers.

Yep. That was a good feature for the time.

Back in my younger days we would make trips to Eastern Oregon in the summer. No AC then. The windows were open and when it got hot enough the cowl vents were opened as well. It was like riding in a wind tunnel.

Steering feel (and control feel in general). Driving a modern car is too much like playing a video game for my taste.

Instrument panels that prioritze legibility and function, not aesthetics.

Honestly, I'm just on this thread for the humor. I've never in my 65 years heard the phrases "schizophrenic Musketeer" or "sadistic bonehead." That is definitely creative cursing. I almost fell out of my chair. Aside from wholeheartedly agreeing, thanks for the belly laughs. No one I know under 30 can even spell "schizophrenic."
I have a degree in Journalism, so correct grammar is imperative

Opening quarter vent windows and sleek front ends. Quarter vents would be good every once in a while, on a sedan or SUV, but in reality current climate controls systems are so good, you don't need them. Most sleek front ends disappeared on front engine cars when the enhanced pedestrian impact standards went into effect.

vent windows
floor vents
high beam switch on floor

All of those for sure.
I'll also add sporty 2 door cars with a proper trunk.
Big knobs for hvac and the radio.
CD players.
Manual transmissions.
Regular cab long box pickups with a bench seat.

I'm still puzzled why those fell out of fashion. The 80s and 90s were full of 2-doors.... What happened? People who want 4-doors aren't buying sedans; they're buying SUVs. Bring back the 2-door!

Amen!

Cars like the honda prelude sold like hot cakes.

I miss changing the plugs every 12,000 miles. Replacing the points, condenser, tires every 12,000 miles. Rough idling carburetors. OH-bring back the good old days....

Back