Do you care if a vehicle's hood has a prop rod?

The Safari is the only vehicle I have that has a prop rod. Because the hood opening is already limited, it just gets in the way. Especially when accessing the battery or fuse box.

Hood struts and tailgate assist struts are much more common in modern vehicles. Sign of the times. Everything is patterned to automatic. Lift the hood and it automatically stays up, press the remote button and the trunk/tailgate automatically open and closes

Last edited:
Hood struts and tailgate assist struts are much more common in modern vehicles. Sign of the times.
Prop rods are a sign of cheap cars. Always have been.

In the 60s and 70s, hood hinges on decent cars had springs, which never wore out. Struts are cheaper to make, and easier to replace.

But prop rod screams cheap.

Prop rods are a sign of cheap cars. Always have been.

In the 60s and 70s, hood hinges on decent cars had springs, which never wore out. Struts are cheaper to make, and easier to replace.

But prop rod screams cheap.
Yes that's one way to look at it, but I don't think it's necessarily true. If a prop rod works fine, what's the need for more, especially if it adds cost and reduces quality?
I guess I have worked under too many hoods with worn or defective struts. In an inopportune time and place, no less.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Unless you want to... All good.

Yes that's one way to look at it, but I don't think it's necessarily true. If a prop rod works fine, what's the need for more, especially if it adds cost and reduces quality?
I guess I have worked under too many hoods with worn or defective struts. In an inopportune time and place, no less.
Ever had a hinge with a spring fail?

Because, at over 200,000 miles, those springs were still holding up acres of steel…

They were effective and durable.

Prop rods are fine until it gets windy and you need the hood up. Then poor timing makes it painful. I get that they have hooks that shouldn't allow them to release, but its happened to me more than once.

Prop rod is cost savings, which I believe is a good thing. Going forward, the weight savings over springs is a plus. If you have ever dealt with bent or worn spring assembly you have to be careful closing the hood.
But yeah, opening the steel hood on my '65 4-4-2 would take some serious muscle without the springs.

Prop rods on Honda 1.5 turbo CRV's will burn the skin right off your hand if you miss the warning label right next to it. It almost runs directly over the turbo.
Hood struts fail and require replacement. I've never seen a hood prop wear out so personally I prefer a prop rod.
I have also seen techs in my shop grab a hood with a prop rod still on and try to close it....it did not end well the hood folded in half.

The prop rod from my Mustang has been hanging on the garage wall since 2011. The Redline struts that replaced it are still doing their thing. Absolutely no regrets in making that upgrade.

If I ever become to old and weak to open a hood, and use a prop up rod, I'll quit driving to.

Opening the hood on a kenworth w900, now that requires a good technique.
One of my truck drivers is 91 pounds, she has to use the perfect technique to get it open. As I was walking past the truck she would be on this morning, I opened the hood for her.
When she pulled in at 5:30 am and saw the hood up she yelled THANK YOU to me.

Ever had a hinge with a spring fail?

Because, at over 200,000 miles, those springs were still holding up acres of steel…

They were effective and durable.
Ever have a prop rod fail?

It's essentially a metal stick that's mounted under the hood with a pivot point.

Also very effective and durable.

Just another way of addressing a task, done slightly differently.
As someone with plenty of Volvo experience, I figured you'd be accustomed to different designes that meet the same purpose.
;)

No matter how you cut it, a prop rod is ALWAYS IN MY WAY. :mad:

Left side rod, right side rod, seems to always be in the wrong place for the job at task.

Hate them. Only on cars I service, not own.

Bump them - could be catastrophic if disengaged.

I have a 1996 Roadmaster wagon with original hood struts, rear window struts replaced once. 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T original struts front and rear.

Other cars with "old fashioned" stay open hinges. Lube them, they work forever.

Last edited:
Back