Rotella T6 15w-40 Is JASO MA2 Rated

I purchased a gallon jug of T6 15w40 three weeks ago in my WalMart. Walked in there yesterday and there was NONE! There wasn't even a slot for it on the shelves.

Yeah... my bad. I posted the wrong pic. This is what I purchased.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
Anybody using the new T6 15W-40 have any comments yet?

I have a couple hundred miles on my 2014 VStrom 1000 and so far I have no complaints. It seems to rev a little quicker, there's no slippage and shifting is fine. It doesn't feel all that different from the Delvac 1300 or Valvoline Premium Blue I used in it. It will be interesting to see how the shifting feels at the 2500-3000 mile mark. At that mileage I never noticed a deterioration in shift quality with the Delvac and that's when I changed the oil, usually before a big trip.

Last edited:
I've checked two Walmarts and T6 15W-40 has been OS, though I did find the spot on the shelf for it. Looks like it is currently $19.97 for a gallon, if you can find it.

Yep... same here. There is no T6 15w40 to be found. In my travels, I have been walking into WalMart's across the western US and there is none to be found. In most cases, there is no slot on the shelves. When I can speak with an associate, they nearly always give me the line... "We don't know what the trucks are going to bring us."

So maybe Shell did a market, experimental run of a few thousand gallons nation-wide to see if it was an oil that consumers would purchase. And maybe, they are ramping up production with the quick 'sell out of inventory'?????????

On another note......

Does Shell really need three versions of 15w40? I wonder if they are considering phasing out T5..... only keeping T4 and T6... ????

Motorcyclists are a tiny percentage of the Rotella consumer group, but I am sure everyone would vote to have JASO spec'd T6, rather than Non-JASO T5.

And for that matter, I just can't believe Shell would go to the trouble to JASO spec T6 15w40 if they didn't have long terms plans for it.

BigJohn is right about Rotella and market confusion. Which 15W-40 to buy? Especially if you have a diesel. I am more likely to purchase a JASO MA oil for my motorcycle, though I suspect a lot of diesel oils would be suitable. Maybe someone at Shell is a motorcycle enthusiast!

Thanks BigJohn! Applied for rebate. I thought the shelf was marked $22 and something for the 15W-40, but on the receipt they charged me $19.97. Should have bought more while I was there!

Originally Posted by ad244
Anybody else been using this oil so far?

For most of the 50k on my 95 GPZ1100 with ZX11 cams and carbs and 1109 big bore , no problems .

Originally Posted by eddy21

For most of the 50k on my 95 GPZ1100 with ZX11 cams and carbs and 1109 big bore , no problems .

But the oil has only been out for a few months?

If we can find it...... by June 30th..... this nice one!!!!

https://rotella.shell.com/en_us/cou...allet-economy.html#iframe=L0RJWS90NXQ2Lw

LINK.....

Applied for the rebate, followed the instructions exactly, was rejected by Shell. The reason given was "Un-identified store/Invoice/Receipt not sent." Well, I sent the original receipt so there is no arguing about it now. This type of scam is one reason I HATE REBATES! Doesn't make me feel good about Shell either.

Last edited:

LINK.....

Applied for the rebate, followed the instructions exactly, was rejected by Shell. The reason given was "Un-identified store/Invoice/Receipt not sent." Well, I sent the original receipt so there is no arguing about it now. This type of scam is one reason I HATE REBATES! Doesn't make me feel good about Shell either.

Mine went through for the T6 15w-40

LINK.....

Did you make a copy of the receipt and any other paperwork or even simply take a phone picture of the what you were sending? It's the thing to do before you stick it in the mail...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by eddy21

But the oil has only been out for a few months?

Sorry the T4 , just started on this

Just checked online and my local WalMart has the T6 15w40 at $19.97/gallon ... gonna make a run and pickup a couple of gallons.

The ZRX has been eating up the Redline; tired of topping off at $15/quart.

Can anyone confirm the ZRX1200R takes the Wix 24941?

Back