Rotella - and clutch slippage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone run any of the various flavors of Rotella and have/had a problem with clutch slippage?

I was following a thread on the GL1800 forum and there are at least two posters that claim Rotella made their clutch slip. Something like "good for the first 10k miles or so, then start having slippage.

I run a lot of Rotella - and use for a lot of bikes belonging to my son's friends. We haven't seen any problems. A couple of these are "track" bikes.

Anyone else?

no problems here. only time i had a clutch slippage problem was when I was lubing the clutch cable i did not adjust it properly, readjusted it and no more slippage.

How was the clutch on your 8K run of it?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with Rotella and clutch slippage. I just went to the new 15w40 triple protection. It would be interesting to note what flavor of Rotella the GL1800 rides were running?

Well, the nice man that claims this - says that he had to replace two clutches because of Rotella and that Rotella has a foaming and shearing problem also. He also said that he worked for Shell for 28 years. Although doesn't say doing what.
Many of his posts reference Amsoil literature so I'm starting to become suspicious......... I posted the link to the thread, above.

Quote:
Here's the link
Rottella thread

Wow, quite a debate they've got going over there.
crazy2.gif

Oops!! Edit time expired. Almost forgot to mention that amongst many of the V-Strom riders at the various forums, RTS 5-40 is a sacred object, right up there with Mom, apple pie, etc.., not to be trifled with. Those guys don't get the miles on their bikes, at least not as a common thing, as the Wingers, but some of 'em are over 50 - 60,000 with RTS and no problems.

Yeah - I don't know. I've been running Mobil 1 5w30 (energy conserving) in my '07 Wing for the past 15,xxx miles. Only because I'm hard-headed (and curious). Two-up and pulling a trailer. No problems yet. Rotella in everything else. And will go back to Rotella. This is just an experiment.

We typically do about 30k a year. Many of us use that Rotella and none (that I know of) are having a problem.

Personally - I'd be hesitant about posting that I had to replace two clutches due to a particular oil - for fear that someone would tell me that I should learn how to work a clutch.
21.gif

if their clutch is slipping its not the rotella, the rotella is one of the most friction available oils on the market.

I dont care for its tranny slickness, but its usable

They are nuts. Been using it for over 20 years with different motors and never had a clutch problem.

I've never had a problem with it. Also, the 15W-40 CJ-4/SM has been tested and verified to conform to the JASO-MA friction test, for what that's worth.

I have a Goldwing. My experience with the GL1800Riders forum -- which I no longer read or contribute to -- is that some of the people are very vocal and very opinionated. Their opinions often don't align with my view of reality.

(Some, frankly, are rude, abrasive, and not gracious people.)

It could also be that the person posting was had a preferred oil and was bad-mouthing Rotella. Yeah, it happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
I've never had a problem with it. Also, the 15W-40 CJ-4/SM has been tested and verified to conform to the JASO-MA friction test, for what that's worth.

I have a Goldwing. My experience with the GL1800Riders forum -- which I no longer read or contribute to -- is that some of the people are very vocal and very opinionated. Their opinions often don't align with my view of reality.

It could also be that the person posting was had a preferred oil and was bad-mouthing Rotella. Yeah, it happens.

Yeah, it happens A LOT on this site, too. A shame since it lowers the credibility of those posters and this site as well.

Well, well, well.

New information.

A brief search on the web turns out that he has an Amsoil website. Now, It may still be that he worked for Shell all those years and knows something the rest of us don't know, but neglecting this little bit of information makes the rest of his advice suspect.

Here's his website

What do you think?

Last edited:
I have 5w40 in my zx10 now. It runs smooth but the tranny is rough shifting. It shifts worse than the wore out mx4t did. I only have around 400 miles on it. I am going to give it to 1k and see how its doing and try to get 2k mile intervals.

Last edited:
BTW, you should also note that there is a distinction between Rotella and Rotella Synthetic. I've used Rotella conventional and have never had any clutch slippage problems. I've never used Rotella Synthetic.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon

Heh... you're famous now. The Amsoil "jobber" actually quoted you. Of course, he conveniently left off your that last part of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back