Wet clutch observation

I changed out whatever ancient oil was in the CL-100 (probably 20 year old Pennzoil) and put in Rotella T5 10W-30. That's what I run in my small engines. One thing I noticed; it used to be that the clutch would stick if the bike had been sitting for any length of time, apparently from squeezing the wet clutch between the pressure plates. Before starting the engine, you would have to put it in first, squeeze the clutch, and rock back and forth several times before the clutch would unstick. If you didn't do this first, you would get a uncomfortable lurch when you put it in gear, and I'm sure that's hard on the the gearbox. Now it seems it doesn't stick nearly as bad. I barely moved it and boom, clutch is unstuck. I'm guessing this a good thing, yes? Clutch feels fine and it's not slipping.

Thanks, it was like that when I last rode it, probably 1994. Dad always had to do that unstick procedure on it. I was just surprised when I started it today and the clutch was unusually quick to release. Figured the fresh oil change had something to do with it.

That old oil wasn't doing you any favors. It seems like the new oil is doing a good job of "washing away" the old gunk off the clutch plates.

Is the clutch cable and the push rod properly adjusted? Doesn’t sound like they are.

Cold oil will make the clutches stick together, but they will separate the moment torque is applied. If the clutch action separates the plates sufficiently, that sticktion will not cause any issues.
However if the clutch is not properly adjusted and the plates aren’t released all the way mechanically, it will cause additional clutch plate wear.

Is the clutch cable and the push rod properly adjusted? Doesn’t sound like they are.
Yes, the clutch is adjusted correctly. Again, just changing the oil suddenly seems to have cured this sticking tendency. It isn't dragging and never has. I can get the rear wheel off the ground and confirm that the wheel stops on its own if the clutch is released when it's in gear.

My ‘66 Triumph Bonneville does the same thing if parked say over the winter. Can’t say that I’ve noticed it any more or less with different oils but I never really thought about it.

Back