Rolls Royce V12 Oil Type and Amsoil Euro

I have a 2016 Rolls Royce Wraith 6.6L V12
Same engine as a 2014 BMW 760LI V12

The owner's manual allows four different kinds of oil, 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40. The owner's manual also states that an API SN rating is required. I also read online that Rolls Royce recommends Castrol oil. The 0w-30 Castrol euro formula I am seeing is SL rated. Wouldn’t I need an Sn rating or higher? SL rated oil cannot be added in SN rated vehicle? Which of the four viscosity’s of oil should I use? I want the most protection from the oil. Which brand of oil?
Cost of oil isn’t an issue, I just want the most protection and quality oil. I read about Amsoil brand, being 100% synthetic. Amsoil has all four viscosity types. Which Amsoil Euro brand should I use? The chart on the Amsoil site shows each of their euro oils has a different HTHS rating.

I understand that European vehicles have longer oil change intervals, therefore needing higher HTHS and must be rated for longevity unlike regular oil at the connivence store.

Thank you for your help

The sl rating is because It's a resource conserving grade (30 grade or below) and it would have to lower its additives to be sn which is not great. Amsoil isn't 100% pao and i believe they reformulated years ago to where they may be less than half pao. If you want a really good oil I'd get HPL especially since it's worth the extra coin for an expensive v12. For an OHV gm v8 like the one i have I'm just buying whatever 5w-40 euro oil although there are off the shelf oils that meet bmw ll-01 and ll-04 which are suitable for that engine I'd still spend more for something more substantial nonetheless to slow down timing component wear. I believe it has the 8hp90 trans so get that serviced by an indy shop just so there's no mistake.

Last edited:
Me being me I'd buy the 5w-40 version just to give the timing components some extra film thickness. I'd suggest the no vii euro but it's unavailable.

I don't know what difference there is between the euro and super car ones so other members please chime in.

It would help to know in which country you’re located. Since you’re worried about an API rating, I’m gonna guess that you’re located in the United States.

In which case, there are a lot of really great oils at reasonable prices.

The SN rating is among the least rigorous of specifications. A better one might be the MB 229.5, for example.

For an oil that meets both SN, and MB 229.5, is readily available, and performs very well, I would recommend the Mobil 1 0W40. It’s about $25 for a 5 quart jug on either Amazon, or at Walmart. I don’t really like buying oil at Walmart, too many people have reported used oil found in the jugs they purchased new. But Amazon has been good if you buy directly from Amazon. walmart.com has been good if you buy directly from walmart.com.

If you want the very best, price no object, then I would go with High Performance Lubricants 0W40. You simply won’t find a finer oil.

If you take a look at the two twin turbo V-12s in my signature, you’ll see that I’m recommending what I personally use in those two engines.

Edit: AMSOIL signature series is a fine oil. A good choice as well.

Also, if you want to purchase HPL, you’ll want to go to this site, and use the “BITOG15” code:

Finally, if you have questions about their products, it’s better to pick up the phone, than dig around on the website. They’re a small business, and they’re happy to talk to you.

Last edited:
It would help to know in which country you’re located. Since you’re worried about an API rating, I’m gonna guess that you’re located in the United States.

The SN rating is among the least rigorous of specifications. A better one might be the MB 229.5, for example.

For an oil that meets both SN, and MB 229.5, is readily available, and performs very well, I would recommend the Mobil 1 0W40. It’s about $25 for a 5 quart jug on either Amazon, or at Walmart. I don’t really like buying oil at Walmart, too many people have reported used oil found in the jugs they purchased new. But Amazon has been good if you buy directly from Amazon. walmart.com has been good if you buy directly from walmart.com.

If you want the very best, price no object, then I would go with High Performance Lubricants 0W40. You simply won’t find a finer oil.

If you take a look at the two twin turbo V-12s in my signature, you’ll see that I’m recommending what I personally use in those two engines.

Also, if you want to purchase HPL, you’ll want to go to this site, and use the “BITOG15” code:

Finally, if you have questions about their products, it’s better to pick up the phone, than dig around on the website. They’re a small business, and they’re happy to talk to you.
Order oil from Walmart online. You get it in 1 or 2 days free shipping if you order 2 jugs. You get the price but don't have to shop the store.

I would find it amusing if someone with a Rolls-Royce actually orders their oil from Walmart. Maybe head down to a store and slum it for a bit in person. 🙄

I would find it amusing if someone with a Rolls-Royce actually orders their oil from Walmart. Maybe head down to a store and slum it for a bit in person. 🙄
Oil that meets spec is oil that meets spec. Though ll-01 and likely ll-04 meet spec I personally would still spend the extra on hpl just to prolong the expensive timing components because it is worth it on an engine like that.

I have a 2016 Rolls Royce Wraith 6.6L V12
Same engine as a 2014 BMW 760LI V12

The owner's manual allows four different kinds of oil, 0w-30, 5w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40. The owner's manual also states that an API SN rating is required. I also read online that Rolls Royce recommends Castrol oil. The 0w-30 Castrol euro formula I am seeing is SL rated. Wouldn’t I need an Sn rating or higher? SL rated oil cannot be added in SN rated vehicle? Which of the four viscosity’s of oil should I use? I want the most protection from the oil. Which brand of oil?
Cost of oil isn’t an issue, I just want the most protection and quality oil. I read about Amsoil brand, being 100% synthetic. Amsoil has all four viscosity types. Which Amsoil Euro brand should I use? The chart on the Amsoil site shows each of their euro oils has a different HTHS rating.

I understand that European vehicles have longer oil change intervals, therefore needing higher HTHS and must be rated for longevity unlike regular oil at the connivence store.

Thank you for your help
LL01 oil.

For Amsoil, @Pablo is your guy. Any of Amsoil’s Euro line would work, but I’d suggest the EFO 0W-40, which is one of Amsoil’s oils for LL-01 applications.

For API there are tighter chemical restrictions for Phos (ZDDP) on ILSAC grades (e.g. 0W20, 5W30) than on the thicker grades (e.g. 0W40, 5W40). So 1000 ppm ZDDP (Zinc & Phos anti-wear compound) would be API SL in a 5W30 and API SN or SP in a 5W40, even if they were formulated to the same quality.

I recall Castrol stating that their Edge 5W30 A3/B4 which was API SL, will pass all the API SN quality tests, it's just outside the chemical limits.

For simplicity I would select a Euro rated (ACEA A3/B4) 0/5W40 that also carries API SN or SP. The name brands like M1 0W40 FS, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum Euro will also carry other high quality OEMs like MB 229.5, Porsche A40 and BMW LL-01. These are top quality oils.

Given the engine is also BMW then an A3/B4 & SN or SP oil that also carried BMW LL-01 certification seems an obvious choice.

For API there are tighter chemical restrictions for Phos (ZDDP) on ILSAC grades (e.g. 0W20, 5W30) than on the thicker grades (e.g. 0W40, 5W40). So 1000 ppm ZDDP (Zinc & Phos anti-wear compound) would be API SL in a 5W30 and API SN or SP in a 5W40, even if they were formulated to the same quality.

I recall Castrol stating that their Edge 5W30 A3/B4 which was API SL, will pass all the API SN quality tests, it's just outside the chemical limits.

For simplicity I would select a Euro rated (ACEA A3/B4) 0/5W40 that also carries API SN or SP. The name brands like M1 0W40 FS, Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum Euro will also carry other high quality OEMs like MB 229.5, Porsche A40 and BMW LL-01. These are top quality oils.

Given the engine is also BMW then an A3/B4 & SN or SP oil that also carried BMW LL-01 certification seems an obvious choice.
Castrol Edge 0W30 would be my choice. API SL, BMW LL01, MB229.5, VW 502.00.

You'd be surprised. A friend of mines dad bought a brand new Rolls Royce a few years ago and daily drove it everywhere...Safeway for groceries, Costco...whatever. I don't daily drive my Ferrari, but order oil from WalMart on occasion...I'm hardly rich.

Another friend owns several Ferraris and probably worth over $50M...he used a coupon when he took me to lunch once. He laughed, and said he never had money growing up, but put his MBA to good use, and made some calculated risks in the early 2000s during the tech boom and hit it big. He said he didn't lose his sensibilities now that he has money.

:
This is a RR, not a Hyundai. I would never to renounce a true BMW approval.
Preferably LL-04, maybe LL-01 (not LL-01 FE). Some 5W-30, 0W-40 or 5W-40
such as M1 ESP 5W-30, several M1, Castrol Edge or Ravenol (VMP, REP, RUP).

The sl rating is because It's a resource conserving grade (30 grade or below) and it would have to lower its additives to be sn which is not great. Amsoil isn't 100% pao and i believe they reformulated years ago to where they may be less than half pao. If you want a really good oil I'd get HPL especially since it's worth the extra coin for an expensive v12. For an OHV gm v8 like the one i have I'm just buying whatever 5w-40 euro oil although there are off the shelf oils that meet bmw ll-01 and ll-04 which are suitable for that engine I'd still spend more for something more substantial nonetheless to slow down timing component wear. I believe it has the 8hp90 trans so get that serviced by an indy shop just so there's no mistake.
I see, I looked into HPL oil and noticed many users on here recommend HPL. What’s the difference from Mobile and castrol?

I spoke to someone at HPL and they recommended 0w-40 super car oil. I have never used HPL and just recently heard about the brand. My question is, what is the major difference from using the mentioned 0w-30 Castrol euro? The reason I’m asking is because the Castrol oil is easily accessible. What do you look for in an oil to determine it’s better than the other?

Thank you

I am located in northern USA.
I am considering HPL if it is surely better than any other brand. It may be obvious but how is HPL better? I have found regular brands such as Castro and Mobile with all the required approval ratings along with proper viscosity. But I am not an oil expert on additives added to the oil.
I do want to purchase HPL, but I don’t see what’s the difference. HPL recommended their 0w-40 super car oil for my vehicle.

Back