Ridge vents and gable vents

When my roof was replaced a few years ago, i had roof ridge vents installed, and the roof fans that kept failing removed.

My question is, should i block the gable vents on each end of the house with plastic, so the air moves more from the soffits, to the ridge vent, or does it matter?

Thanks!

Hard to answer the question but if you can borrow an infrared camera this might show where the heat is going!
New houses, from what I've seen, that were built with ridge and soffit vents do not have gable vents.
I should have also added, that i have a whole house attic fan, its handy for pulling air through the house on cooler days and removing odors , burn food etc.

Will the soffet vents and ridge vents flow enough to run the fan wtih the gable blocked?

2004 Construction for me. Full ridge vents on the 2 story and the single story mud and spare rooms. Gable vents are faux.

When my roof was replaced a few years ago, i had roof ridge vents installed, and the roof fans that kept failing removed.

My question is, should i block the gable vents on each end of the house with plastic, so the air moves more from the soffits, to the ridge vent, or does it matter?

Thanks!
It really depends on whether or not your soffit vents are adequate in size/number and properly sized for the ridge vents.

It won't matter in terms of venting.

However, if you live in a windy area there's a chance that blocking off the gable ends could allow more air to enter the soffits and possibly move insulation around (depending on how deep the soffits are). It can happen if the wind is just right but it's rare.

The fix for that is baffles.

Running the whole-house fan won't do anything other than depressurize your home (bring humid outdoor air inside your house). Remember your attic is technically outside. It's essentially a carport.

Last edited:
AFAIAC the more air through the attic in the summer, then better. If you can keep your attic at least at ambient shade temperature, it's a huge win. IMHO.
Its hot, full sun, house faces west. 82 f outside, attic is 90 or so now. I was up there putting in a bath fan.

I wouldn't worry about the gable vents. The main reason for having adequate roof ventilation is to prevent condensation from building up as the temperature changes by limiting temperature differences. Air flow is good any way you can get it.

You want to remove heat from the entire roof, so air should flow from the soffits to the ridge vent. The gable vents will short-circuit that airflow.

If you have poor ceiling insulation, you might want powered fans in all the gables, to force-cool the attic.

This was the guide I referred to for my parent’s roof: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/lstibureks-rules-for-venting-roofs

I haven’t closed the gable vents - we went with “cool” shingles that cut down on heat radiation into the attic. We opted for O’Hagin brand roof vents. Ridge vents, be it the soft Cobra roll vent from GAF or the solid plastic one that the roofing wholesalers(ABC, Beacon, SRS) and Owens Corning sells under their name is all the rage with roofers these days.

Block off the gable vents. They are interfering with the air flow you want. You want fresh air to enter your soffit vents.

I think i will block them off. When i was crawling around, it felt hotter near the soffits, and not quiet as hot near the peak. Like air was coming in the gable out the ridge vent, and less from the soffits. A short circuit like mentioned above.

I think i will monitor the attic temp with a remote unit, then block them off and watch temps.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Thanks!

Not that it matters too much but do the gable vents serve as exhast venting or intake venting? I can 100% assure you that intake ventilation is substantially more important than exhaust ventilation, which is not to suggest that exhaust is not important. Based on what you've stated thus far I would say that I would not block anything ventilation whatsoever. In fact blocking any sort of ventilation will only create issues.

The main reason for having adequate roof ventilation is to prevent condensation from building up as the temperature changes by limiting temperature differences.

I don't know exactly what you mean when you say condensation but at face value I would say that your statement is not even remotely close to being accurate as far as that being the main reason for proper ventilation in terms of building science.

I think i will block them off. When i was crawling around, it felt hotter near the soffits, and not quiet as hot near the peak. Like air was coming in the gable out the ridge vent, and less from the soffits. A short circuit like mentioned above.

I think i will monitor the attic temp with a remote unit, then block them off and watch temps.

Thanks for all the replies!!

Heat buildup around the soffit area would suggest that there is not enough air flow through the soffits. You might want to go through and clean the soffits out as well as rake back any insulation that may be blocking the airflow.

Another added thought. In my county it is now code that stipulates that bathroom exhaust fans must vent all the way out to a roof or side vent. No more venting them freestyle into the unfinished attic space. I was told that this was some kind of fire prevention method of keeping any kind of flammable gas or air born chemical fume combustibles from being vented and then combusted into a hot airspace.

Another added thought. In my county it is now code that stipulates that bathroom exhaust fans must vent all the way out to a roof or side vent. No more venting them freestyle into the unfinished attic space. I was told that this was some kind of fire prevention method of keeping any kind of flammable gas or air born chemical fume combustibles from being vented and then combusted into a hot airspace.

I don't know about it being a fire prevention method but there are all sorts of things that are problematic with the venting of the kitchen and bathroom into an attic. It is a great way to help develop biological growth for example and reduce the effectiveness of any insulation.

I don't know about it being a fire prevention method but there are all sorts of things that are problematic with the venting of the kitchen and bathroom into an attic. It is a great way to help develop biological growth for example and reduce the effectiveness of any insulation.
My bath fans are vented to a vent on the roof for that purpose. I would not want bathroom moisture in the attic area.

Back