Revisiting the GM 2.4L SIDI Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but a few searches haven't yielded a consensus on how these have looked in UOAs.

My wife and I pulled the trigger on a 2011 Equinox with a 2.4L SIDI. I'm leaning toward changing the factory fill at 1,500 miles since the OLM is counting down fairly quickly. I'm going to have the injectors pressure tested to make sure they aren't leaking to try to keep tabs on fuel dilution.

The oil I'm leaning toward is the QS Ultimate Durability since that worked well in the Malibu and the price is currently very right. I can get the ACD cartridges for a really good price as well.

I'd be interested in everyone's feedback. Thanks!

QSUD is a very good choice AND it meets the dexos1 spec that your Equinox requires. At $19.53 for the 5 qt. jug it's a very good deal, IMO.

PS: I bought a Cruze at the end of January. It only has 115 miles on it and the OLM is at 91%. It's been parked in my garage since I got it with a couple of 20 mile drives. Why would the OLM drop so fast?

I have a 2010 Nox with the same 2.4 DI. I ran the FF to about 6k with no issues. OLM was like 36%. There was a camshaft sensor that went bad, it has a TSB about it, shouldn't be an issue with the 2011s (mine was one of the very first built - March 2009). Unrelated to the oil.

Ran Mobil dino until 15k. Then M1 for two oil changes. Now am running dino again, and might next time. I do notice a difference in engine noise with dino (louder, and as you know it is not a quiet engine to begin with). With dino I keep OCI to 6k at most.

I am only using the dino because it is free. I have a thing through GM I got for free due to a problem when we first got the vehicle. As a customer service thing they gave 30k worth of oil changes and tire rotations. One time with the M1 I didn't pay extra, but that dealer went out of business and with this other dealer I had to pay the $30 difference (with the other dealer I think they just ate the difference). So this last time I went back to dino.

Once I'm done with the free oil changes, it will see Synpower. For two reasons. 1) I got it cheap after rebates. 2) it performs well according to the Amsoil tests, including with fuel dilution.

Note: you should probably run at least plus grade gas. Lots of complaints after 5k or so of pinging/knocking when using regular gas. I noticed this as well. Switching to plus takes care of it. I go premium because I also get about 2 mpg better with the premium than the plus, and I notice a bit better performance. They can do a flash to bring the spark timing back into line with what would work with 87 octane, but you lose 1-2 mpg and some performance. They just got too agressive with the spark to use 87. Not sure if there is a knock sensor or not, but if there is it doesn't take care of the issue adequately without going to at least plus (89 octane) fuel.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Also, get this to do your oil changes. There is little room there and this will help, so I've been told. A few of the reviews are with the new Nox. I got one but haven't used it yet due to getting the free changes so far.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-14700-Filter...2967&sr=8-1

I don't know about GM oil changes since the 1988 Caprice but I do know the filter cap wrenches have saved me so much time and aggrevation on my Honda's that I'd pay triple for whatever fits the filter. So easy, so fast.

I have a 2011 Terrain with a V6, I plan on changing the FF at 1k, doing a 3k interval with AC Delco oil, and then switching to PP or QSUD and following the OLM or 5k intervals, whichever hits sooner.

may well be in the situation to replace the aging Tahoe.
When considering the 4 cyl-now that you've lived with it a while, would you buy the 4cyl model again, or opt for the V6?
I get the feeling the 4cyl is really straining to pull that weight around, and consequently, gas mileage is not that great

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
When considering the 4 cyl-now that you've lived with it a while, would you buy the 4cyl model again, or opt for the V6?
I get the feeling the 4cyl is really straining to pull that weight around, and consequently, gas mileage is not that great

Steve

I see you are in NJ. I'm not familiar with the terrain in NJ. If it is flat, and you don't intend to put a hitch on it, the 4 is probably fine. If it is hilly at all, or you plan to tow ANYTHING, then get the 6. Or, if you travel hwys where you need to merge and get up to 70 mph on the ramp or you'll get run over, then get the 6. Overall I'm happy with the 4, especially considering gas how it is. Mileage varies a lot with my 4 based on city or hwy, and what speed hwy, and driving habits. More than what I'd think for most vehicles. The 6 is $1500 more I think. AWD, if you want that, is another $2k or something on top of the V6 premium.

The wife has a 2.4 fwd Terrain and my parents have a 3.0 awd Terrain, so after driving both, I'd tend to agree w/ wallyuwl.

However, the 2.4 is actually capable of decent accleration up to freeway speeds, but you do have to fully exploit it: full throttle, and let it rev. Don't think you can ride around V-8 style rarely revving it past 2500rpm. The 2.4 is pretty much a dog when it comes to climbing hills, and the transmission will kick down a gear or two if you even look at a hill. We typically cancel the cruise on most hills just so we don't have to hear the engine jump up 1000-1500 rpm. MPG is VERY speed sensitive: cruising in the low 60s will give you 30 mpg without trying too hard. But cruise in the low 70s and you'll struggle to stay above 25 or 26 mpg. Note: those numbers are based on the trip computer; my math shows it reads 1-1.5 mpg high. By the way, a little bird told me a 2.4 will hit the governor at 118mph and that it didn't take all that long to get there.

The 3.0 V6 is pretty much a loser of an engine from what I can tell. It's very weak up to about 3500-4000 rpm. Above that, it's decent, but your mpg goes in the toilet. The 3.0 needs to go away and be replaced by the 3.6 since that engine has a respectable amount of low end/mid range and would probably not give up much mpg. Steady and slow highway driving might give 24 mpg (with a tailwind). My parents live in ND, and between the high speeds and high winds there, 20 mpg is realistic.

I read the Caddy SRX will get the 3.6 for 2012. Hopefully the Terrain/Equinox will get the same. Until it does, if you need a V6, I'd just wait or find a different car. Crazy question: I wonder how one of these cars would be with the old 3800 hooked to a 6-spd auto?

Last edited:
A good friend of mine "just" picked up his '11 Equinox 2.4L 2WD. I drove in from Roch-Buff and back last weekend with 4 of us abord and the power was fine. MPG was showing 22.8 with all of the driving around we were doing on the dealer supplied full tank of fuel.

Very nice vehicle and quiet too!

I don't have any opinions on OCI's or products to use yet, just wanted to comment.

Thanks for the replies guys-appreciate it very much. Nothing like getting the opinion of someone who actually drives the vehicle every day.
Hey Char, when we go to Buffalo we take 20W in Mt Morris off of 390. Plenty of hills (Warsaw to name one). Would that be a painful trip for the 2.4 if we were carring 4 people and a 105 lb German Shepherd?

Steve

Steve

Thanks for the replies guys-appreciate it very much. Nothing like getting the opinion of someone who actually drives the vehicle every day.
Hey Char, when we go to Buffalo we take 20W in Mt Morris off of 390. Plenty of hills (Warsaw to name one). Would that be a painful trip for the 2.4 if we were carring 4 people and a 105 lb German Shepherd?

Steve

Well, IDK! Are you speeking of a Malibu or Eqinox? Our trip from Roch-Buff(in the Equinox) was about an hour+ and completely flat and straight as an arrow(I-90). Although, I really am a fan of 4 cyl's and don't mind them working a bit through the hills as I have taken many 4 cyl w/auto trannys down the east coast mainly form Rochester to Myrtle Beach and then to FL without issues.

4 cyl's today are so smooth and quiet and the trannys shift so smoothly/quickely that it's not a bother to me. Both the engine and tranny seem to work well with each other. I have in the past, driven some 4 cyl that I liked better than some V6's I actually think that this Equinox 4 cyl feels(on flat road) as good as my wifes '01 Lexus RX-300 3.0 V6 "under normal driving". But, step on it and this is where the difference is. The V6 makes more noticible power when the tranny kicks down(WAAAAAAA!), both vehicles weighing in at about 3900 lbs.

Here is a quick story/example...This same friend of mine(with the Equiox) and ourselves, have traveled to Myrtle Beach SC over the years. One year(about 1989-90) they took their '87 Chevy Celebrity EuroSport 2.8 V6 EFI(125hp) and we took our '88 Honda Accord 2.0L 4 cyl w/carberator(98hp). The 4cyl Accord was smoother, equally pulling it's own weight and better MPG. Pulled through the mountains like a little train [as did the V6]. We swithced driving each others vehicles and we both agreed that the 4 was the better engine or better engine to weight ratio.

I'm not saying that 4 cyl's are better or stronger than a V6, I am saying that 4 cyl's seem to have plenty of "usable power" most of the time even through the mountains in a heavy vehicle like the Nox.

On the other hand, what we have noticed is...Some of the V6's have matched the MPG of the 4 cyl's until you put your foot into it. Then the V6 MPG drops alot and the 4 cyl MPG only drops a little.

The shepherd might put you over the top though! JK
smile.gif

Last edited:
We have about 500 miles on the Equinox now, and I've been impressed so far with the 2.4 SIDI. The power is acceptable, but you do have to let it rev to about 3,500 to feel it. Don't expect to be thrown back into your seat. I would describe it as deceptively fast...to a point. When we're buzzing around in stop and go traffic I'll throw it into Eco Mode which does help it shift a bit smoother.

When we opted for the 4-cylinder, it was because I thought it was a more well-designed engine than the 3.0L V-6.

On the interstate at 75 mph in Iowa we can hit 28 mpg pretty easily without a stiff head or cross wind. Cruising at 55 to 60 mph we hit about 31. I've able to verify combined city and highway of 26 mpg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back