Oil recommendations for 2013 2.4L Ecotec?

My wife brought a 2013 Chevy Equinox with the 2.4L Ecotec into our marriage, currently with 83K on the clock. I've been servicing the vehicle for the past six years. I've never exceeded the oil life computer's OCI--worst case it was changed when recommended, but usually by 4K at most. During COVID I changed at six months regardless, as mileage was down quite a bit. Thus far it's been running well enough, with the only engine issues encountered being replacement of the VVT solenoids--intake in 2019, exhaust in 2021. In my readings I've learned about the potential pitfalls of the 2.4L--namely piston rings and PCV issues. I installed the earlier model GM vented oil fill cap as some small measure of insurance should PCV freeze up.

Historically I ran mostly Mobil 1 in the Equinox. Last year I moved to a set 3K OCI and switched to Costco (Warren) 5W-30 synthetic--hoping that a lower OCI will help reduce wear and increase odds of a more trouble-free service life out of this engine, and thinking that there wouldn't be an appreciable benefit to more expensive Mobil 1 if I'm draining at 3K. That being said, are there recommendations for particular oils with formulations or additive packages that would be more beneficial for the 2.4L Ecotec--to increase the odds of getting a long service life from the engine?

As an aside, I discovered posts about HPL's Engine Cleaner, I'm guessing it couldn't hurt run that through the Equinox (and my '05 Town Car I recently acquired).

Thanks

That engine does wear prematurely, when city drove - when conventional or semi-syn are used - saw extended OCIs and low engine oil marks on the dipstick occur.

You're doing fine with your past maintenance willingness & your new all synthetic OCIs every 3K. (y)If I were to add anything to your maintenance, I'd probably up-the-viscosity to 0w40 SP. Mobil-1 and Pennzoil have the SP. More brand name options will slowly show-up on store shelves in 0w40. Illinois can use it year-round. I do it already on my wife's Kia.

Any synthetic d1g3 should be fine for the OCI suggested by the OLM, as your car likely has the hard limits programmed into the computer (max 1 year or 7500 miles)

The best filter to use in your Equinox is Purflux L264A, which used to be GM's OE supplier when the Ecotec family first came out around 2000. It has these zigzag pleats to put more media in a cartridge of a given size.

Their current OE filter is the Hengst E630H, which is also good, though it has regular pleats. There is also the Mann HU 6007x.

The ACDelco PF457G is a reboxed Hengst, but it doesn't come with an O-ring. If you want the O-ring, get PF457GO. If you need a new cap, get the PF458G, which includes the filter, cap, and O-ring. The Hengst filter in the Hengst box includes an O-ring. Mann and Purflux also supply an O-ring in their filters.

I believe the main thing is to not stretch the OCI too far.

I plan to stick with 5w30 in my newly acquired 2016 Malibu 2.5L Currently have Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 in it. I had to replace the oil pressure control solenoid in it shortly after purchasing the vehicle w/ ~81K miles on it. Luckily the screens on this (factory) solenoid had no junk in them. The ATF in that 6spd was black though.. I've run ~15qts of Castrol universal ATF through it at this point. It's still darkish.

That engine does wear prematurely, when city drove - when conventional or semi-syn are used - saw extended OCIs and low engine oil marks on the dipstick occur.

You're doing fine with your past maintenance willingness & your new all synthetic OCIs every 3K. (y)If I were to add anything to your maintenance, I'd probably up-the-viscosity to 0w40 SP. Mobil-1 and Pennzoil have the SP. More brand name options will slowly show-up on store shelves in 0w40. Illinois can use it year-round. I do it already on my wife's Kia.
Thank you, could you expound on the 0W-40 SP recommendation?

My wife had a 2013 Equinox with the 2.4. Hopefully yours was late enough to get the improved piston rings; ours did not and had the oil consumption issues which the dealer would not fix despite the letter from GM. A treatment with BG's EPR 109 actually reduced the oil burning pretty substantially for a while. I usually ran Valvoline Full Synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and followed the OLM. Watch out for the cracking exhaust manifold, that's a common problem that we also experienced.

I use PP 5W-30 in my wife's 2017 Equinox. Seems to do great, has 65000 miles, doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Change oil and filter about every 3 months, 3500 miles.
Bought it new, 1st 3 years were all dealership oil changes.
I use Wix XP filters, or the AC Delco OEM.

Could you provide more detail re the 0W-40 recommendation?
The LEA engine is an Saab/Opel/ Lotus design based on the LK9 family, these are good engines and always recommended a Euro 0w40 or in later years a 0w40 or 0w30 Euro HTHS 3.5>. As Kschachn said either of the 0w40 are readily available at Walmart cheap and meet lots of high end specs. these oils help minimize cam chain wear on these engines, it is a great fit for them. It is nothing US makers would usually spec because of CAFE and MPG, you may loose 1 mpg if that.

The LEA engine is an Saab/Opel/ Lotus design based on the LK9 family, these are good engines and always recommended a Euro 0w40 or in later years a 0w40 or 0w30 Euro HTHS 3.5>. As Kschachn said either of the 0w40 are readily available at Walmart cheap and meet lots of high end specs. these oils help minimize cam chain wear on these engines, it is a great fit for them. It is nothing US makers would usually spec because of CAFE and MPG, you may loose 1 mpg if that.
Thank you for including that detail, I was not aware of the Euro origins of that engine. To clarify my understanding from reading the forum and this thread, is part of the rationale for the 0W-40 viscosity to maximize cold start flow while moving to a viscosity that better resists the characteristics of this engine that "beat up" the oil--i.e. operate in the range of 40W to 30W through the service life of an OCI, as opposed to operating at 30W to 20W (where it ends up according to some of the UOAs I saw)? Your comment about minimizing cam chain wear also makes sense, after learning more about the design.

Minor reduction in MPG isn't a concern. Occasionally I get into the orbit of the greater Chicagoland gasoline supply chain, their garbage fuel often bring 20%+ mileage reduction--I can live with 1 MPG. As an aside, I'm running 5W-30 in my 2005 Town Car, while Ford called for 5W-20. My first TC was a 2000 which spec'ed 5W-30, and my research about the change gave me the impression that it was primarily motivated by the ever so-slight increase in mileage--to benefit Ford. I didn't find any compelling evidence that it was better for the engine.

Thanks again for the information. I'm considering running HPL EC30 through the Equinox, to clean things out a bit. We're a young family on a budget, so I can't justify running HPL PCEO on 3K OCIs--but from what I've read about how well the oil cleans, what would be your (or other's) impression of this idea:

HPL Engine Cleaner with Costco 5W-30 (already have it) for initial clean, change filter halfway through the OCI. Then run an OCI of HPL PCEO 5W-30 for a finish clean--maybe even another filter halfway out of an abundance of caution--then to Mobil 1/Castrol 0W-40 and 3K OCIs?

Last edited:
Maximizing “cold start flow” is not really what happens. Besides, unless you are below about -35 or so an oil with a 0W winter rating is not guaranteed to be thinner.

When the winter rating does come into play then it’s about cranking and pumpability, with the only flow that’s relevant is in the pan and near the pump pickup tube. If the oil can be pumped, it will flow.

Back