Relevance of changing the oil filter every OCI

You started it, I will finish it, LOL!

Here in Maryland, at least where I live, there are so many deer that it is not funny. There is no need for a fast car around here. There is an old thread where someone, will not name the name, did a UOA of OCI;s with an oil filter and without an oil filter. They both looked about identical, so maybe the air filter is more important than the oil filter.
The material being picked up by your average oil filter is much larger than what is sampled by a UOA so even if we take this story at face value, it carries no significance.

The material being picked up by your average oil filter is much larger than what is sampled by a UOA so even if we take this story at face value, it carries no significance.
You make a good point, why do we even then have a UOA Section? No disrespect at you OVERKILL, is the point of a UOA to show fuel dilution or coolant getting into the oil. I will say this, I do remember a thread where a member did UOA's and the last 1 came back good, and a few days or weeks later his engine blew up.

You make a good point, why do we even then have a UOA Section? No disrespect at you OVERKILL, is the point of a UOA to show fuel dilution or coolant getting into the oil. I will say this, I do remember a thread where a member did UOA's and the last 1 came back good, and a few days or weeks later his engine blew up.
Yes, UOA's are good for tracking to show signs of contamination (fuel, coolant, dirt...etc) and to determine OCI length if one is looking to extend. They can also give you an idea if something is going wrong, if the rate of failure is slow. Something like a bearing particle streak for example, should elevate bearing metals. However, rapid failures, like a lifter failure or spinning a rod bearing are clearly not going to be caught.

The UOA section is useful, the problem is that a lot of people ascribe a level of usefulness to them that simply does not exist.

Decided to keep my oil filter for two OCIs from now on from all i have gathered. 20,000 km sounds really safe. Since it's a cartridge type filter on the top of the engine, i can just unscrew the cap and let it drain if i don't want that half quart of old oil in my new fill. Depending on how it looks after 20,000 km, maybe i'll try 30,000/one year just like the air filter.

If you do, "... just unscrew the cap and let it drain..." you'll be effecting (making a change) the large O-ring of the element's housing.
While you'll likely be OK, there's a real chance of it tearing because it had been in use.
As usual, some examples are better than others.

I had to resort to reusing the large O-ring in my vehicle on two occasions as oil filter elements I bought came with the wrong O-rings.
I bought the filters as stock and didn't notice the error until after the allowed return period.
"All the Parts Your Car Will Ever Need, Wrong O-ring" (sung to the tune of....you know)

Good point, i was also thinking about that. When i change the o-ring after 10,000 km it's also like new and pliable, not crushed at all thanks to the design of the cap but i'll keep an eye on it. If i ever decide to try 30,000 out of curiosity, it shouldn't be a problem since i have a few new o-rings laying around.

Just to make things clear, i'm not cheap to the point of not wanting to pay for an oil filter. It's just that i've deviated a lot from the usual "cheap insurance" i used to apply by changing my oil+filter every 6,000 km. I feel stupid throwing away good filters without any data to prove it is needed, especially on an engine that looks like it just came off the assembly line. I would change my mind with reliable technical data and studies proving i'm wrong but all i have is "don't be cheap", "it's a cheap insurance" etc.

Just to make things clear, i'm not cheap to the point of not wanting to pay for an oil filter. It's just that i've deviated a lot from the usual "cheap insurance" i used to apply by changing my oil+filter every 6,000 km. I feel stupid throwing away good filters without any data to prove it is needed, especially on an engine that looks like it just came off the assembly line. I would change my mind with reliable technical data and studies proving i'm wrong but all i have is "don't be cheap", "it's a cheap insurance" etc.
I hear you as I am beginning to "change my mindset" mostly for an environmental reason as I see a pile of used oil filters in our recycling center when I discard my used oil. I use Wix XP for both of our cars, 14 acura mdx and 16 subaru outback, but may switch to mobil 1 ep for mdx and change the filter every other oil change - my OCI is every 6 months or so. Like some of you above, it is not being cheap as you can pick up wix xp s for under 10 bucks at rockauto.

Third world war? LOL No, thick vs. thin usually takes that title.
Thick on the first oil change, thin on the second using the same oil filter. Oh semi synthetic on the first full synthetic PAO Ester based no VII made in the US on the second oil change using Top tier ethanol free gas stored in a vacuum at COSTCO where I wait a week in line to save .00001 cents. There I have lit the match to fire the first salvo, from my cannon that I store packed in cosmoline mixed with maxlife,mmo, and b12 with a dash of Regane.

Decided to keep my oil filter for two OCIs from now on from all i have gathered. 20,000 km sounds really safe. Since it's a cartridge type filter on the top of the engine, i can just unscrew the cap and let it drain if i don't want that half quart of old oil in my new fill. Depending on how it looks after 20,000 km, maybe i'll try 30,000/one year just like the air filter.
Oil does not suddenly become toxic because the service interval is reached. The small amount of used oil left in the engine (and filter, if re-used) is still doing its job. If you have decided to re-use the oil filter for another interval, your engine will be better off leaving the filter alone and just doing the oil drain & fill. Breaking the filter seal not only risks an oil leak, but it may introduce dirt and dust as well.

You can say the same thing about the drain plug. I've never had a oil filter leak in over 50 years of driving. I've had more than my share of dripping drain plugs.
But how many oil filters have you removed and reused over and over like a drain plug?

You can say the same thing about the drain plug. I've never had a oil filter leak in over 50 years of driving. I've had more than my share of dripping drain plugs.
That is true, but you have to pull the plug to change the oil (unless you're using a vacuum which is another topic entirely).
Of all your oil filters that have not leaked, how many were removed after use, drained, then reinstalled?
My point is that if you are going to reuse the oil filter, it's better to just leave it alone.

None. All I'm saying is if he's worried about leaks, the chances of a new oil filter leaking is just about nil.
There've been enough of us on here that have experienced a leaking filter to indicate that it's a bit more than "just about nil", but yes, the probably is quite low. My experience is the opposite of yours, I've never had a drain plug leak, but have had an oil filter leak.

None. All I'm saying is if he's worried about leaks, the chances of a new oil filter leaking is just about nil.
The focus is on removing the filter, then reinstalling it again for another run, which could disturb the gasket and cause a leak (post #12). Not a new filter leaking, which can also happen for various reasons (ie, Overkill's example).

My point is that if you are going to reuse the oil filter, it's better to just leave it alone.
I agree. I misunderstood. I have heard of reusing the filter. But never heard of anyone removing one, then putting it back. Then yes, you could get a leak because the seal could take a set. Oil filters are designed as a one shot deal.

I agree. I misunderstood. I have heard of reusing the filter. But never heard of anyone removing one, then putting it back.
Been plenty of guys who claim they have removed, drained and then reinstalled the oil filter for another run. But most people will advise against removing it ... just leave it on and not disturb the used gasket.

Back