Refreshing a Camry for an entitled old man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I would figure out what is wrong with the car and fix it.

I’d use Toyota or the OE equivalent parts.

I WOULD NOT replace perfectly good original parts with rebuilt junk. Maintenance stuff sure do it, but replacing radiators, starters and alternators especially with aftermarket/rebuilt is likely to put you in worse shape than you are now.

As for the entitled old man. People want what they want and the visibility issue may be real. You may be able to put a leather or softex kit in something to meet that requirement.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

+2, Are you just pulling our leg? You are kidding, right? If you are serious, I feel kinda sad for your In-laws. My only slight modification would be to fix the car with only Toyota parts. There is no way I could go from a Toyota to a Hyundai. I guess I'm too prideful but I'm in my 60's and I would have a hard time doing that. We tend to get set in our ways after a while....
eek.gif

Last edited:
Proactive preventive maintenance is a good thing, if a radiator has coolant stains on it and/or the aluminum fins are corroded its a good thing to change it but not just because it will fail one day, as others have said fix the hot start issue and carry on.

I would back away from the situation completely. Does not sound like your in-laws want anything other then a new luxury car, try to refrain from doing maintenance stuff on their car and let the mechanic deal with it. When things really start fall apart, they will blame you.

If their car breaks down enough, they will at some point get sick and tired of it and revisit the new car plan.

to the OP: Yea. You're in too deep. It seems that way because your post reads that you are personally miffed that they aren't taking your advice. I don't quite understand why - is there an advantage to you somehow, between the lines?

And that's ok -- but then deciding to do ALL that work on their car while you're miffed at them - that's not good. Feels like martyrdom.

If they aren't relying on your skin in the game to make them happy, back off and let them be. You'll be better off for it.

PS- not meant to offend. Posts are tricky, right - I'm just calling it straight as it reads to me. If I'm off or offend for being direct, no harm intended.

-m

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
What happened to the old days when one could get the point across in a sentence or two.

Those folks were too busy working and paying into their retirement plans and SS, so today they could be entitled to a pension.

Quote:
Recently it went so bad that our daughter was stuck in school or his car is stuck in our driveway after the inlaws dropping her off at our home, about once a week or more......

......As a result, I would not be helping them with a replacement vehicle. Congratulation Mr. entitled baby boomer, no soup for you.

Your willingness to throw a lot of money at the situation at first indicates that you want to genuinely look out for your elderly in laws. Your disrespectful comments make it hard to discern if you are more interested in your own welfare (convenient transportation for your children) vs. that of your in laws (a reliable car).

If you are serious about the entitled baby boomer comment, then why don't you take the responsibility yourself to arrange transportation for your children? Let your inlaws work out their own car situation.

I suspect that you prefer to have family assist raising your kids vs. strangers. If so, then toss out the disrespectful comments and follow through with your ideas to meet their wants/needs and preserve family involvement raising your children. I give the elderly a lot of slack. Most deserve and have earned being given the benefit of the doubt. Most in their 70's begin to lose mental sharpness (remember Pop Rivit?).

uuuuh,

I sense a couple white hairs appeared because of said FIL+MIL team....

now alternative:
-look for similar age camry/lexus: same visibility and level of fine-stuff, but probably better maintenance (I think in other threads you referred to them/in-laws as cheap, so that plus the age of the car may explain the current state).

and just prepare to replace the car every 5 years. if not necessary, cherry on the top = more college funds for the girls.....

don't go more than '90s cars, because of visibility issues; my elderly neighbors, hit his nice hyundai genesis multiple times because of this....

it's not your problem, but it is when your kids/you are affected.

I have a similar FIL, and well..... it's complicated.

Originally Posted By: FirstNissan
I would back away from the situation completely. Does not sound like your in-laws want anything other then a new luxury car, try to refrain from doing maintenance stuff on their car and let the mechanic deal with it. When things really start fall apart, they will blame you.

If their car breaks down enough, they will at some point get sick and tired of it and revisit the new car plan.

+1 I've learned not to give any advice to my MIL for similar reasons. But I really do enjoy driving the '02 Camry we took off her hands for her asking price 150K miles ago because she didn't think she should have to pay for replacing the rear struts at 115K . . .

Don't feel bad, OP. No one takes my advice either LOL. Maybe drop it off at the Toyota dealer who is probably familiar with this issue. Also do the preventative maintenance like tranny fluid, maybe hoses (esp. the upper radiator hose as that's the "hot" hose). Older people are stuck in their ways (ask me how I know this) and try not to come off as overbearing to your folks.

Last edited:
From the OP it sounds like the inlaws are involved in moving the kids around and pandabear wants them to be in a reliable car. Understandable with the inlaws being in the high 70s and acting somewhat normally. If the car issue can't get resolved to everyone's satisfaction it may be time to take them off taxi service. Especially in Silicon Valley in a 20 year old car.

Let them pay for the car to be fixed. Your daughter is in colllege and is a bigger priority. An Elantra is a big step down, but will be a good car none the less. However, it seems like your daughter deserves it instead of your in laws. The hot start issue might not be the cheapest to fix, but as mentioned above, that car will be good for quite a while longer when fixed. I will say though, the Aisin timing belt kit is a gem. Don't throw parts at it because it could be totaled tomorrow with no benefit of replacing every part. For what it is worth, we really like our 14.5 Camry and feel that the 2AR 4 cylinder has plenty of power. From what I understand, it is just as quick as the V6 auto combo in the Gen 4s.

This may sound harsh but if I offer help and you refuse it, you're on your own. He shoulda made better financial decisions when he was younger and keep himself in reliable cars in his retirement.
I also wouldn't want 80 year olds driving my kids around.
I don't even really like my 27 year old driving my 13 year old.

That camry is one of the most reliable vehicles ever made. Just fix the hot start problem.

I would absolutely NOT replace parts on the car just for the [censored] of it, unless they are OEM Toyota, and that will get expensive fast. "New" or "Rebuilt" often means lower quality today, unfortunately.

My 01 Camry v6 has 250kmi and still looks and drives like it has a quarter of those miles.

Last edited:
They’ve got $7k to upgrade to a newer car? Then they’ve got $7k to fix up their current car.

Don’t pay to fix up their car. Let the crybaby deal with it himself, and figure out another means of transportation for your kids.

I don't offer friends, family or coworkers any advice, or to help. If they ask, I will gladly provide.

$8100 for an old Elantra rental with 82k is insane.

I agree to just fix it.

Most new cars are not built like that anymore.

Also, just replace what is needed.
Starter is easy to rebuild, just get the new plunger and contact set, open, replace and put back.
There is an issue with Fuel Pump (under the back seat) and the fuel filter when it is aging.
Do a tune up and you are all set.

Other parts are replaced as needed.
Things like O2 sensor usually codes when change are needed and it will not affect starting.
Regular oil change is necessary for this truck and also replace the PCV regularly (it is too small and clogged easily).

Last edited:
They probably still don't like Hyundai because it had a horrible reputation when it first showed up in the 80's. Everyone says they're better now but you still find threads about weird problems with their cars because they're cheaply made.

A car is still a personal choice and you can't just ram down whatever you feel like it for someone else, you need them to agree. Reminds me of a story about a homeless person who turned down a really nice coat because it wasn't their color. The story there isn't how they're entitled, but that as human beings, they're still allowed to make their own choices. A 1997 Camry is basically 20 years old, offer that 7k toward a newer Camry and let the old man make up the difference.

There must be an"indie" Toyota shop local to you. Take it to one and pretend you are buying the car and want a pre-purchase inspection. Explain your concern about the warm start trouble and go from there. The situation has to handled delicately, these are your children's grandparents and your wife's parents. My sibs and I had a similar situation with the crumbling family homestead and my parent's wishes. Chances are its a worn out starter compounded by worn out ignition plug/wires/coils. Tread care carefully, PandaBear
smile.gif

PS, I opted for the 4 in the Camrys. Plenty of giddiap. V6 isn't essential in a Camry. Not these days, anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back