Mitsubishi / Nissan problem CVT - did it change? Getting a "new" one. Dump it?

Hi
My daughter has a 2017 Lancer with 85,000 KM on it. The CVT went out on it. The dealer, after much delay, got the Ok to replace it under warranty. We weren't the first owner and it hadn't been serviced - at least no records. Thank god for the warranty as a new one, just the tranny, is $15,000 Canadian to buy. It will have a 1 year replacement part warranty.
I’ve read that this CVT which Nissan and Mitsubishi has used had issues and doesn’t seem to last long. There are even some class action law suites.

Will a "brand new" one be any better than what was in it? Have they made changes to this CVT or did they just stop using it? How could I tell if it is new or just old stock?

Would you dump the car and get something else? In all other respects it’s a decent car as far as I can tell, but if I can’t trust the tranny…

Thanks for the help.

I'd find a dedicated Lancer forum and start reading about the CVT. I think most CVT's are a bit vulnerable to cold weather damage so if your daughter likes to just start and mash the throttle on the cold days, she might be damaging it? I know our Outback does a few different things in the cold to warm up the CVT faster and manage the torque running through it.

..... Thank god for the warranty as a new one, just the tranny, is $15,000 Canadian to buy. It will have a 1 year replacement part warranty.

I realize we're talking CA currency, but that price is crazy. You can buy a remanufactured CVT direct through Nissan for most make/model Nissans for under $3K USD (usable core required).

Jatco must mark them up considerably for the Mitsubishi line.

There are no new Jatco replacement CVTs I'm told. When you buy a "new" one, it's actually remanufactured. Like you say, they come with a one year warranty. So generous of them.

Not to start another love/hate CVT thread, but the ones coupled to 4cyl engines seem to not last nearly as long as those coupled to V6s.

So the "new" tranny will be a remanufactured one? - that doesn't sound good to me. Did they every make them decently reliable or is it something to avoid like the plague? I read that some models of this CVT are better than others but I have no idea what she will be getting.

And isn't it crap that her warranty on this "new" part will be less than what she has left on the factory warranty? BS to me.

I’ve read that this CVT which Nissan and Mitsubishi has used had issues and doesn’t seem to last long. There are even some class action law suites.

Will a "brand new" one be any better than what was in it? Have they made changes to this CVT or did they just stop using it? How could I tell if it is new or just old stock?

Would you dump the car and get something else? In all other respects it’s a decent car as far as I can tell, but if I can’t trust the tranny…
My SIL replaced the CVT transmission on her Nissan Rogue in Saskatoon and the bill came to +/- $5,000. That transmission packed it in at 125,000 Km.

Your new transmission should be good for at least 80,000 Km (50,000 miles). I'd drive it for a while and then dump it before it goes out again.

I wouldn't buy a Nissan with a CVT transmission, but that's just me.

So the "new" tranny will be a remanufactured one? - that doesn't sound good to me. Did they every make them decently reliable or is it something to avoid like the plague? I read that some models of this CVT are better than others but I have no idea what she will be getting.

And isn't it crap that her warranty on this "new" part will be less than what she has left on the factory warranty? BS to me.

You hear people say ~2017+ are pretty darn reliable, but that may be just because they are relatively new yet and look at your situation.

In terms of remanufactured Jatco units being redone with only the latest and greatest parts, no one knows.

I'd find a dedicated Lancer forum and start reading about the CVT. I think most CVT's are a bit vulnerable to cold weather damage so if your daughter likes to just start and mash the throttle on the cold days, she might be damaging it? I know our Outback does a few different things in the cold to warm up the CVT faster and manage the torque running through it.
I've tried multiple Lancer and Mitsubishi forms - not much for responses - nobody seems to really know.

Having her drive it until the new winter tires I bought for it are worn out and then running away like hell from it sounds like a plan to me.

If you get rid of it, remember that Nissan sold the Micra in Canada, which has a 4-speed automatic. They sold it until last year.

Where did you get that from? The transmission has a 1 year warranty if you buy it over the counter, but the factory warranty period should still be in effect regardless.
Thanks - When the dealer told me the CVT would have a 1 year warranty I just assumed, never a good thing, that this meant that the factory warranty would no longer apply - I will definitely check on that.

The dealer should be putting the NEW, not rebuilt, CVT in today. I assumed wrong - it will still have the balance of the factory warranty - plus the one year warranty for the part itself.

What if the owner religiosly changes the fluid. Will this help extend the life.

Why are the honda CVT failures so much less?

Back