Redline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son came home from San Diego for the holidays driving a 2006 Evo. Naturally we got to talking about engines and oil, and I asked him what oil he was using. He told me the guy he bought it from used nothing but Red Line 5W-30 changed every 3500 miles since it was new, and at 40k miles it runs like a top and just tested at 351 hp rwhp.

Bruce has a good idea about you joining the Dyson forum, that guy knows his shizzle about oil and you could learn a lot there.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
My consumption stopped 500-1000 miles into the 1st oil change in two different engines. I have no workable theories on it.

Ben, Interesting observation. Was that using the "moly" oils (everything except 5w40 or 15w40) or the no moly oils (5w40 or 15w40)?

The moly oils, 5W-30 in the Mustang and 5W-20 in the F150. Both also used about the same amount over the first 500-1000 miles, around 1/2 quart. I topped them off and they haven't used a drop since.

Currently I have a little over 7,000 miles on the F150's oil and the level is still on the 2nd cross hatch from the MAX line, exactly where it was the day I filled it.

Would love to have seen the video, I just feel Redline seems to be a good choice, but Redline gets some bad press too. So I am just trying to verify the "bad" or if it is just sales blocking by other companies. Know what I mean?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
We had a member post about a blown engine and had a good UOA report. Lots of mistakes in the UOA section. Maybe 2011 things will change, for now I see little to no value. Sorry.
Though a blown motor may not be from the oil and a broken rod may not show up in a UOA?

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Just curious to why so many folks seem to consume Redline the first few oil changes then it mysteriously stops. Any theroies on that? I have some common sense posibilites, but just curious what others think about that.

AFAIK: With high-ester oils, consumption frequently spikes when switching oils. It's just the new chemistry settling in. Nothing to worry about.

It happened to me with Motul 300V, and again with RLI BioSyn. Consumption was high at first, and then leveled off after the first oil change.

Would love to have seen the video, I just feel Redline seems to be a good choice, but Redline gets some bad press too. So I am just trying to verify the "bad" or if it is just sales blocking by other companies. Know what I mean?

I don't think any companies are talking smack about Red Line.

I can think of two "bad" things about Red Line: some of their marketing is shady, and they have no recognized third-party approvals. Neither of those is a direct observation of poor quality. There are some horror stories, but many of those are because the wrong fluid is used; the rest are easily explicable by the old "stuff happens" adage; and of course none of them can be verified, so they are all essentially vapor. Some people (including me) question their formulations, but this is skepticism and doubt, not a positive assertion of poor quality.

In other words, if negative opinion is the only thing stopping you from using it, go ahead and use it.

Originally Posted By: DAB1123
Has anyone ever bothered to compair Red Line specs against others? I know a Mechanic who won't touch it!

Better cold flow and HTHS freakishly high for the grade.

A mechanic who won't touch Redline is uneducated or ignorant about oil.

Has anyone ever bothered to compair Red Line specs against others?

People compare specs all the time. That's one of the main reasons Red Line is so popular.
wink.gif

No, he's not ignorant about anything automotive. Last time I saw him, he had a Jeep CJ-5 with a 4 speed manual, which engine he rebuilt himself, big $$$$. But that Jeep would stand up & STAY up as he shifted through all 4 gears. Even in 4th, he'd have to back off before it would come back down.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
I was considering Redline, but I am concerned how the Esters will affect my turbo journal bearings over time. The end caps of the bearings are Brass. Not sure how the esters will treat them over time.

I would not have any worries about polyol esters affecting brass end caps. Properly formulated, my only concern with saturated POEs in motor oils is seal compatibility, which is corrected with the addition of adequate levels of PAO.

Tom NJ

I thought PAO was poor for the seals. I Think you have it backwards, esters are good for seals. I know you know a lot more than me so I am interested if I'm wrong or the source in Lubes and Greases Magazine (Oct. 2010 Issue pg.45) Is this wrong? Lubes 'N Greases Magazine

No, he's not ignorant about anything automotive. Last time I saw him, he had a Jeep CJ-5 with a 4 speed manual, which engine he rebuilt himself, big $$$$. But that Jeep would stand up & STAY up as he shifted through all 4 gears. Even in 4th, he'd have to back off before it would come back down.

This has what to do with oil?

I've seen their specs & i'm not the least bit impressed.

What specs were you comparing?

Originally Posted By: BobFout

See his sig? You want to bet the specs he's seen are from Amsoil literature?
21.gif

21.gif

Couldn't be
wink.gif

LMAO!

I was not doing a comparison, it was the first time I had gone to their web-site. They do not even list the Total Base Number for any of their oils, nor can I find any Warranty.

21.gif

Not at all. The specs I looked at was on RLs' own web-site.

Last edited:

This has what to do with oil?

Nothing to do with Oil, just proof of his knowledge. Anyone who can build an engine like that knows his stuff!!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I thought PAO was poor for the seals. I Think you have it backwards, esters are good for seals. I know you know a lot more than me so I am interested if I'm wrong or the source in Lubes and Greases Magazine (Oct. 2010 Issue pg.45) Is this wrong? Lubes 'N Greases Magazine

Esters cause seals to swell and soften, while PAOs cause seals to shrink and harden. Generally, a little swelling and softening is better than shrinking and hardening, but there is such a thing as too much.

The degree to which esters affect seals depends on the chemical structure of the ester. Low molecular weight esters are more aggressive to seals, as are those with more ester linkages (COOR) or an aromatic ring. Such esters in high dosages can weaken and degrade seals over time to the point where they may leak or fail. This is why high ester content formulations are usually balanced with PAOs to lessen the seal effect.

Likewise, formulations with too high a PAO content could cause seal leakage or failure over time, which is why they are balanced with esters or seal swell additives.

There are a number of other factors that also influence the effects of esters and PAOs on seals, such as seal chemistry, seal variability, temperature, and load.

In reality, none of this is relevent in well formulated motor oils since seal effects are measured and controlled in the formulating process.

Personally, I would avoid any oil that claims to be based entirely on esters or PAOs unless I knew the complete formulation and how the formulator dealt with seal balance.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back