Redline...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Since it's the factory spec' oil, the shear is nothing to be worried about. It's not like the Ford engineers aren't intimately aware of the oil's characteristics.

I am concerned about the shear, not only the KV shear, but the HTHS shear as well. And I'm also concerned with the low P and Zn levels in the MC 5W50 oil as shown in my VOA. I just saw another VOA of the same oil that shows similar low levels of P and Zn. Thought it was a fluke until I saw the second VOA and the person who sent it in made it a point to shake the bottle before taking the sample to make sure the oil was thoroughly mixed ... hence my quest for a better oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2093739#Post2093739

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: Tempest
I guess the question then becomes, what exactly happens with esters (or Grp I for that matter) that helps to keep seals "good"?

Esters and other polar compounds will plasticize the polymeric chemistry of the seals, which keeps them pliable.

Tom

Thank you, Tom.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Originally Posted By: Johnny
As I said in an earlier post,

Originally Posted By: Johnny
For your application I would contact Dave at Red Line and go by his recommendation.

I did ... thank you.

What did he say?

He indicated since Ford specs a 5W50 for the 5.4L, their recommended oil is 5W50. He is not sure why Ford recommends such a high viscosity and sees no issue with using an oil with a little lower viscosity.

He indicated since Ford specs a 5W50 for the 5.4L, their recommended oil is 5W50. He is not sure why Ford recommends such a high viscosity and sees no issue with using an oil with a little lower viscosity.

It's likely one of those scenarios where he can't really say what he'd like to say due to liability. He can't outright go against the manufacturer's recommendations, for better or worse, because of the small chance that something might happen and he and Redline would be on the hook for it.

You may have to make an educated decision on your own for this one. Redline's oils are very shear stable, and like d00df00d said, as long as you're not diluting the oil with fuel, then you may be okay with the RL 5W40 which has a higher HTHS than MC 5W50.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

What I'm saying is, we don't know the cause of the expected shear, whether it applies to his car, and whether it will affect Red Line 5w-40 as well. Of course, Red Line 5w-40 is less likely to shear, and probably wouldn't shear as much. But choosing it because its virgin viscosity is close to that of a sheared 5w-50 leaves a lot less margin for error.

That's not all, Red Line's 5W40's HTHS viscosity of 4.6 cP is what you'd expect from a good 5W50 oil and much higher than Motorcraft's 5W50's 3.7 cP minimum spec. The relatively high HTHS of Red Line 5W40 oil is key here and should offer the film strength protection under load of a high quality 5W50 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: il_signore97

It's likely one of those scenarios where he can't really say what he'd like to say due to liability. He can't outright go against the manufacturer's recommendations, for better or worse, because of the small chance that something might happen and he and Redline would be on the hook for it.

You may have to make an educated decision on your own for this one. Redline's oils are very shear stable, and like d00df00d said, as long as you're not diluting the oil with fuel, then you may be okay with the RL 5W40 which has a higher HTHS than MC 5W50.

Agreed ... their marketing folks already recommends their 5W50 for the Ford GT and GT500s in print and on their web site. I did not expect anything different from Dave. He has been very helpful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Peromyscus
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Ran it in my Tacoma starting 9K-45K with 5K changes in between...great oil.

Question for you...You ran Redline for ~35K mi & said it was great. Now you run Amsoil (looks also like ~35K mi). Why did you switch?
To add a 5,000 mile oil change inervals any oil would have been good.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

Since it's the factory spec' oil, the shear is nothing to be worried about. It's not like the Ford engineers aren't intimately aware of the oil's characteristics.

I am concerned about the shear, not only the KV shear, but the HTHS shear as well. And I'm also concerned with the low P and Zn levels in the MC 5W50 oil as shown in my VOA. I just saw another VOA of the same oil that shows similar low levels of P and Zn. Thought it was a fluke until I saw the second VOA and the person who sent it in made it a point to shake the bottle before taking the sample to make sure the oil was thoroughly mixed ... hence my quest for a better oil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2093739#Post2093739
But you understand my point, oil shear and the phosphorus level of the factory oil is nothing to be concerned about. The resulting oil viscosity after it has stabilized is all your engine needs and to think otherwise is second guessing the engineers.

Since this thread is about RL, the appropriate choice for your engine would be RL 5W-30 or RL 0W-40. I would not run anything heavier than that particularly for street use.
And as always, installation of a proper oil pressure gauge to see where you're at I always advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back