Recommend a good thick 5w30 dino / synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to throw my $.02 into this hat. PepBoy's is now selling the Mobil-1 ESP Formula 5W-30 oil and the ESP Formula M 5W-40 oil that is recommended for Volkswagen and Mercedes-Benz diesel cars respectively.

The 5W-30 is a super clean product that will give you a HT/HS of 3.58 cP's, a kinematic vis of 12.1 cSt's AND it carries the ACEA ratings of C2 and C3 plus the older A3 rating for extended drains (where specified) in your gasser engine.

What's the cost of the Über Öl? A cool $6,99 per liter and well worth the price of admission.

A blended thick oil just means it's expected to shear. A blended thin oil is expected to maintain visc, imo a better product.

try GC or M1 0w-40, 10w-30 HiMi or go to a dino like MaxLife or Motorcraft.

I can buy a Jug of full synthetic maxlife for 18-22 dollars(5qts). 6.99/litre x 5 = $30 or more. I'd rather save the few dollars and use the juju juice from Valvoline. Nothing against the other recommendations but again its to much oil for to little truck. I want a good stout oil to run my 4-5k OCI's and keep my truck in tip top shape. The 3.5 quart sump has been shown to obliterate most oils(dino or synthetic) in 4.5/5k miles.

That $9-10 difference is huge, and Walmart is literally 5 minutes away(less than 3 miles from my house). Pepboys is over 45 minutes away with no traffic. The only time I am ever near Pepboys is when I am by Microcenter(which was 1 time in about 4 years).

Trying to keep this around the Walmart Oil isle. I've heard about GC but finding it is rare especially if your at Walmart. Smaller auto shop/parts places charge to much. Example would be Mobil 1(just regular synthetic Mobil 1) is 8.49/qt, Pennzoil Platinum is 7.99 usually. This is at R&S Strauss from 2 weeks ago. I agree that GC would be a good alternative as well, will keep an eye out for it. Just can't wait to get paid and nab up some oil for cheap hopefully.

Last edited:
Anies. Castrol Syntec 0w30 (GC) is probably the thickest
30 weight oil (12.1 cSt@100 C) out there. Does it have to
be 5w30?

Doesn't have to be, but the manual and cap for the Xterra state 5w30. GC is a nice oil but very hard to find, 0w30 wouldn't be a problem I believe. Just reading up on the alternatives, was at Walmart tonight and they had 5w30 maxlife blend and for the first time 5w30 Motorcraft. Didn't buy anything since I'm still debating and need to get paid first(wedding bills sapped me dry).

Originally Posted By: Anies
Problem is, Wallmart doesn't sell Forumla Shell. The last time I bought it was for the jeep and it was roughly $3 a quart x 6 quarts = $18 for dino oil :| Buying the jug is saving me a couple bucks more. This was at a local auto parts store, there isn't really another place around here for good cheap oil.

Walgreens is running a special this week on Formula Shell: $1.99/qt with coupon from their weekly flyer, 3 qt limit per purchase. Since you were originally looking for a thick 5w-30, another option is Havoline DS 10w-30; it is on the thinner side of the 10w-30s.

Originally Posted By: Anies
Problem is, Wallmart doesn't sell Forumla Shell. The last time I bought it was for the jeep and it was roughly $3 a quart x 6 quarts = $18 for dino oil :| Buying the jug is saving me a couple bucks more. This was at a local auto parts store, there isn't really another place around here for good cheap oil.

Walmart Supertech High Mileage is good and thick and cheap. Mobil 5000 is good and cheap; in your climate it's probably the better choice. Problem is you may need to get filters at another store.

I have a stock pile of Purolator classic filters from R&S Strauss 50% off filter sale a few months ago. So i'm set for a bit.

I was at Walmart last night and I forgot to include this in my previous post. I'm not to experienced with Nissan engines and clearences etc, they recommend 5w30 and I've heard of some running 10w30 with some success(others state lifter/ticking noises). I had seen Rotella T 5w-40, I've heard really good things about it but afraid it may be a bit to heavy at operating temp for the motor.

I want a thicker oil to reduce some engine noise and basically help combat the tremendous amount of heat the little 180hp V6 puts out. I haven't had any loss of oil or had to add any in there but the engine is probably the hottest i've had since my Jeep(and my Jeep runs 10w30 Formula Shell/Mobil 5k). I noticed from using those two oils over many others the Engine doesn't sound as rough or generate heat as fast(hard to describe, think thermal grease and a heatsink from a processor. It provides a really good heat transfer to expel it the heat slowly but efficiently so as to not over whelm the cooling system).

A good example is my Jeep in the rain would emit tons of steam from the hood of the engine when I used Pennzoil, Quakerstate, Castrol etc. Switching to Mobil 5k and FS doesn't cause that behavior.

ANyway back on point, so I have heard really good recommendations:

German Castrol 0w30
Maxlife 5w/30 - 10w/30
Havoline DS 10w30(I was thinking about this but its thing for a 5w, so a 10 would be better).

And then I see 5w40 Rotella, also 5w30 Motorcraft Blend(finally found some). Is motorcraft on the thin/thick side of the scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back