Question: What is molybdenum’s real role?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And let us not forget the in depth research/trial article that someone here posted that showed that di moly was more effective than trinuclear moly at preventing wear. This is why Japanese oils prefer the older di moly in high quantities, their research showed it was better at reducing timing chain wear than the trinuclear variety.
Got a link?

Because the Infineum presentation (ironically, presented in Japan) showed trimer had lower friction and better synergy with ZDDP. With DLC's, dimer had a tendency to delaminate, which was not observed with trimer.

The "conclusions" slide from that presentation:
Screen Shot 2023-01-07 at 12.15.13 PM.jpg

I suspect the reason many of the OE Japanese oils continued to use dimer was availability and cost. We really only see trimer used by Mobil and SOPUS, not surprising given it was originally exclusively an Infineum product.

It was user Gokhan who referenced the research, research paper is linked here I believe: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/toyota-genuine-oil.294814/page-3.

The older di Moly has a lower coefficient of friction, the Japanese are very particular about Moly. Infineum appears to have a financial interest, so I put more weight on the Japanese research.
You mean this paper that Gokhan was referencing? It specifically says the paper did not evaluate trimer moly…
Gokhan said:
The paper didn't study other forms of moly such as trinuclear moly or sulfur-free moly. Interestingly, TGMO 0W-20 © 2015 uses sulfur-free Vanderbilt Molyvan 855 (link).

It was user Gokhan who referenced the research, research paper is linked here I believe: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/toyota-genuine-oil.294814/page-3.

The older di Moly has a lower coefficient of friction, the Japanese are very particular about Moly. Infineum appears to have a financial interest, so I put more weight on the Japanese research.
Did you read the conclusion in that thread? Basically, "it's complicated". Dimer performed better in one test, and then both types of moly increased wear in another type of test. I wouldn't be quick to discount Infineum and Mobil's blending expertise, it's their business, the Japanese OEM's aren't in the business of making oil and they really can't be that strict about oil standards either, given that most of them just require the most basic of API approvals for their engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back