Rolling all great ideas into one for “bespoke” oil

And we can't get a 5W40 spread I take it without VIIs? I'm interested in shear stability aspect.
I assume it's possible to get a 5W-40, but something will have to give somewhere, like a "5W-40"-like KV40. Just speculating here. Honestly, you could run the 5W-30 no-VII in a fuel-diluting engine and probably come out ahead of a regular 5W-40.

[Edit]

The HPL 5W-40 Euro/Supercar uses Star Polymer, so there is that.

And we can't get a 5W40 spread I take it without VIIs? I'm interested in shear stability aspect.
Dave would have to answer… now that HPL has changed the game with these oils, we’ll actually need expert guidance to learn/understand about what’s actually possible with these oils. Nobody’s ever really gotten the chance to deal with oils like this before 😂

I assume it's possible to get a 5W-40, but something will have to give somewhere, like a "5W-40"-like KV40. Just speculating here. Honestly, you could run the 5W-30 no-VII in a fuel-diluting engine and probably come out ahead of a regular 5W-40.

[Edit]

The HPL 5W-40 Euro/Supercar uses Star Polymer, so there is that.
What does the the Star Polymer do for us? Shear stability? That's the oil I run.

Yes I've read through it. Just asking a basic question as I don't understand what you get with no VII?

High flashpoint, low noack, no shearing - permanent or temporary, and possibly cleaner burning.

I'll also add this here: specifically look at the first turbo bearings vs the last. Different causes but thermally stressed turbos and oil. The amsoil dominator is a low or no VII oil.

Note that the turbo failed even with the no VII oil. But he was on it's way to destroy the whole engine imo...

Last edited:
We might be pushing it. The Euro 5W-30 there already meets the HTHS requirements that we typically associated with 5W-40/0W-40 grades (which GC 0W-30 and BMW 5W-30 also met). Not sure if you could get from 11.19 to 12.5 without losing the 5W-xx though.

We might be pushing it. The Euro 5W-30 there already meets the HTHS requirements that we typically associated with 5W-40/0W-40 grades (which GC 0W-30 and BMW 5W-30 also met). Not sure if you could get from 11.19 to 12.5 without losing the 5W-xx though.
Ok, starting to get all of this now so basically, I use 5W40s that end up typically as 30W at end of run. I am on HPL4lyfe now in my GSW so will have some UOAs to look at this year but I'll probably stick with what works, don't really see the need here for me.

So basically like Amsoil's "Dominator" race oils it seems...man, hope Amsoil can back those claims 🤣 🤣 🤣

Why do folks running average cars in average use-cases want to run this kind of oil again?
Capture.JPG

Overbased calcium sulfonate, which would add to the TBN, has EP and antiwear properties.
Yes, it does (to a point), but in that case specify a wear requirement or sulfonate dose - simply stating a high TBN does not guarantee that the TBN source does anything other than titrate against an acid.

Yes, it does (to a point), but in that case specify a wear requirement or sulfonate dose - simply stating a high TBN does not guarantee that the TBN source does anything other than titrate against an acid.

I know, and I'm not affiliated with HPL or have any contact with them other than the posts made by Dave, so I was just offering a possible reason. Pure conjecture really.

You are correct. There are strong bases and weak bases. There is little point to adding a weak base short of satisfying a data sheet. That is not a path I would take as we encourage extended drains in general.

David

Can you please elaborate on this statement? Thank you.
For any given hths, at warm temperatures, an oil with VII will have a higher viscosity than one without. Higher viscosity means less leakage from bearings. Less leakage means the oil is in there longer, has more time to heat up and thus the bearing/ crank has a harder time getting rid of it's heat.

For any given hths, at warm temperatures, an oil with VII will have a higher viscosity than one without. Higher viscosity means less leakage from bearings. Less leakage means the oil is in there longer, has more time to heat up and thus the bearing/ crank has a harder time getting rid of it's heat.
Isn't the oil pump constantly pushing new oil?

Is the increase in heat not offset by the higher viscosity though? You get better MOFT to counter the temperature and then some.

Is the increase in heat not offset by the higher viscosity though? You get better MOFT to counter the temperature and then some.

No, the moft is on the loaded side, and that's what causes the heating. Since I said "for a given hths" both oils have the same moft and viscosity on the loaded side

Isn't the oil pump constantly pushing new oil?
The oil pump will try, but where does the pressure rise come from, it's not from the galleries and shouldn't be from the filter. Once the pump reaches it's max pressure, bypass opens and oil flow through the bearings is capped. This happens later on a lower KV oil.

Back