Quaker State 0w30 Full Synthetic, 1,282 Miles, 2.5T Hyundai, Initial Oil Change

Hi, I changed the oil after 1,282 miles of new 23 Hyundai Santa Cruz 2.5 Turbo, initial oil change. Oil is Quaker State 0w30 full synthetic. As you can see, report is showing high silicon @96 ppm, high molybdenum @737 ppm and low viscosity @8.3 cSt vs 11.6 for new. Fuel dilution is noted @1.8%, I drove ~180 highway miles just before oil change so I thought this would be lower. I am looking for comments that would help explain the high silicon and the fuel dilution and any other comments relative to the analysis. Thank you in advance.

1693041947277.jpg

I changed the oil after 1,282 miles of new 23 Hyundai Santa Cruz 2.5 Turbo, initial oil change.
Wait. Wouldn't initial oil change be the factory fill? If not, when did you dump the factory fill?

High silicon is normal for a brand new engine. You are seeing factory engine sealers as they wash out. It usually takes 20,000 miles or more for all the sealers to wash out. That's why a lot of folks recommend not doing oil analysis til after 20k.

With that viscosity it is not a Euro, it’s an ILSAC Xw30. It could be a break in oil with all that moly but that could also be from assembly.

Don’t confuse promotional deals with what is actually being used by Hyundai or their dealers. You could easily get 3 different oils from 3 different dealers they are going to use what they can get the best price on that (hopefully) meets the minimum requirements by Hyundai.

Yes, this is the factory fill. Yes this is the initial change. Owner's manual says they use Quaker State 0w30.
Does it actually say they use QS 0w30 for the factory fill, or does it say they recommend 0w30, and they recommend Quaker State? Saying they recommend that the owner uses something specific does not mean they themselves use it…

Obviously, I do not know for a fact what was used for the factory fill. Is it common for the factory fill to have a lower grade viscosity fill? As far as finding a Quaker State 0w30, yes the Euro is the only one that has that spec. Quaker State is what Hyundai sends to the dealers (at least my dealer and Q.S. is also shown in the owner's manual), 0w30 full synthetic (I visited the dealer and asked). Euro is the only one that has that spec.

Obviously, I do not know for a fact what was used for the factory fill. Is it common for the factory fill to have a lower grade viscosity fill? As far as finding a Quaker State 0w30, yes the Euro is the only one that has that spec. Quaker State is what Hyundai sends to the dealers (at least my dealer and Q.S. is also shown in the owner's manual), 0w30 full synthetic (I visited the dealer and asked). Euro is the only one that has that spec.
Has which spec? What does your owner's manual say, an API license or does it also list an ACEA Sequence? Brand is a marketing agreement and nothing else, just as my Tiguan recommends Castrol on the fill cap.

If you mean the winter rating then that is irrelevant unless you are starting unaided at very low temperatures, somewhere around -30.

owner's manual says 0w30 gf6, snplus, sp, quaker state does not have 0w30 that meets the gf6, sn plus, or sp spec. They do have a 0w20 that meets this.

Owner's manual says only use 0w30 and then says "Using oils of any other viscosity other than those than recommended could result in engine damage." That is why I would not put in a 5w30 oil due to potential warranty denial. I mean it is very clear what the manual says and if I did ever have an engine warranty claim, and given all I have read about Hyundai, it would not be a surprise if they said "Well, sorry, looks like you have been using the wrong viscosity oil..." Now if they change the owner's manual then I would be up for using a 5w instead of 0w. There are lots of 5w30 oils that meet GF6, SP, SN plus ratings. Amsoil and Mobil One AFE are the only ones I can find that meet GF6, SP, SN plus ratings as well as 0w30 viscosity.
1693061517939.jpg

1693061581240.jpg

M1 AFE 0W30 is a really good oil. If warranty is a concern, then I think that is the natural choice unless you want to go to 0W20. In that case, you have TONS of choices.

Owner's manual says only use 0w30 and then says "Using oils of any other viscosity other than those than recommended could result in engine damage." That is why I would not put in a 5w30 oil due to potential warranty denial. I mean it is very clear what the manual says and if I did ever have an engine warranty claim, and given all I have read about Hyundai, it would not be a surprise if they said "Well, sorry, looks like you have been using the wrong viscosity oil..." Now if they change the owner's manual then I would be up for using a 5w instead of 0w. There are lots of 5w30 oils that meet GF6, SP, SN plus ratings. Amsoil and Mobil One AFE are the only ones I can find that meet GF6, SP, SN plus ratings as well as 0w30 viscosity.
View attachment 175055
View attachment 175056
The winter rating is nowhere near a warranty concern unless it’s inappropriate for the starting conditions. Besides, the rating is allowed to slip while in use, so it may start off as a 0W and end up a 5W anyway.

Grades are recommendations not requirements. The requirement is an oil that does not cause damage.

Back