QS 5/40

Does anyone know what the HTHS is with the QS Euro 5/40? QS says viscosity is 13,3, but from what I’ve seen from a VOA it’s getting viscosity at 12.9.

There is another thread going on Shell Helix that someone stated the HTHS from Russian sources.

Thought I'd seen 20,000 mile rated Quaker State 5w-40 Euro Ultimate something on here somwhere. That would've been a good product to keep around. Too bad I can't find it. Anyways, the A3/B4 specification on that QS means the HTHS should be >3.5 CentiPoise. I'd imagine it's that or slightly above (3.6-3.8). They aren't publishing this important test result though.

Thought I'd seen 20,000 mile rated Quaker State 5w-40 Euro Ultimate something on here somwhere. That would've been a good product to keep around. Too bad I can't find it. Anyways, the A3/B4 specification on that QS means the HTHS should be >3.5 CentiPoise. I'd imagine it's that or slightly above (3.6-3.8). They aren't publishing this important test result though.
I have never seen Euro oil rated for mileage. Euro approvals, though, require stay-in-grade performance over the OCI of that particular approval, which is mostly 15,000 miles.

Those 20,000-mile oils are a gimmick, as the small print will always tell you to adhere to the manual and OCI recommended by the manufacturer.

Thought I'd seen 20,000 mile rated Quaker State 5w-40 Euro Ultimate something on here somwhere. That would've been a good product to keep around. Too bad I can't find it.

Can't find milage on any oil containers on this side of the pond.
Igonore it, its just marketing.

I have never seen Euro oil rated for mileage. Euro approvals, though, require stay-in-grade performance over the OCI of that particular approval, which is mostly 15,000 miles.

Those 20,000-mile oils are a gimmick, as the small print will always tell you to adhere to the manual and OCI recommended by the manufacturer.
Possibly misread some other QS grade 20k rating & not 40. However, 20,000 miles is not really a gimmick if there are OEM's that probably suggest that. That is probably how they "Rate" the mileage claim. You're misunderstanding me on the part of mileage though. I'm not saying any 20k branded oil can be run in any vehicle for 20k. But it can give us consumers an idea, since they've went to this sort of marketing, that a 20k rated oil is probably going to do a bit better than a 5k rated oil (as an example).

Perhaps, European market goes longer drain intervals than the USA. Oil marketers know this so in order to increase sales/convenience they're trying to claim longer miles in US. Again, USA probably changes oil sooner than Europe. Not in their best interest to claim higher mileage oil in countries that are already extending ODI's. Pure speculation on my part though.

Possibly misread some other QS grade 20k rating & not 40. However, 20,000 miles is not really a gimmick if there are OEM's that probably suggest that. That is probably how they "Rate" the mileage claim. You're misunderstanding me on the part of mileage though. I'm not saying any 20k branded oil can be run in any vehicle for 20k. But it can give us consumers an idea, since they've went to this sort of marketing, that a 20k rated oil is probably going to do a bit better than a 5k rated oil (as an example).
That is why there are approvals, hence: Euro oils don’t have that claim.
The whole idea behind approvals is what you talking about. Consumer doesn’t have to read into marketing. If it has approval (not meet and exceed) it is good for recommended OCI.

Reactions: twX
I assumed that, that data is not published. This my 1st time using QS. I’ve always used M1, bc of brand.

That is why there are approvals, hence: Euro oils don’t have that claim.
The whole idea behind approvals is what you talking about. Consumer doesn’t have to read into marketing. If it has approval (not meet and exceed) it is good for recommended OCI.
Approvals are important no doubt. However, we shouldn't discount there may be better oils with the same approvals that are not only approved for but exceed OEM specifications. An oil labeled Conventional w/an approval & 5k vs an "Advanced Full Synthetic" oil w/an approval & 10k rating shows it may have a better base oil, lower pour point, oxidation stability, & on.

And there are Euro oils that do claim mileage on it. Here's one...
10,000 Mile Guarantee

Approvals are important no doubt. However, we shouldn't discount there may be better oils with the same approvals that are not only approved for but exceed OEM specifications. An oil labeled Conventional w/an approval & 5k vs an "Advanced Full Synthetic" oil w/an approval & 10k rating shows it may have a better base oil, lower pour point, oxidation stability, & on.

10,000 Mile Guarantee

I mean I could be wrong.
But its funny that you mention one of few Mobil 1 oils that is not available in EU market AFAIK.
The fact that it has a guarantee in miles and not km gives it away.

This is how it looks on the EU site, still cant find a place that sells it.
10.000miles would be less then MB 229.5 that can be up to 18.000 2yrs if i recall correctly.

Last edited:
Mobil actually tested their mileage claim on a Toyota. Might have to start at the beginning.

Also tested a Chevrolet truck for 500,000 miles that they ran on 20k mile intervals

Last edited:
I mean I could be wrong.
But its funny that you mention one of few Mobil 1 oils that is not available in EU market AFAIK.
The fact that it has a guarantee in miles and not km gives it away.

This is how it looks on the EU site, still cant find a place that sells it.
10.000miles would be less then MB 229.5 that can be up to 18.000 2yrs if i recall correctly.

It would be interesting to know the true reason why they don't display mileage claims over there but really this is something that wasn't always the case here either.

It would be interesting to know the true reason why they don't display mileage claims over there but really this is something that wasn't always the case here either.

The marketing is more about brand recognition and getting the right oil specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Some go the technical mumbo jumbo like castrols titanium.
Most enthusiasts know that actually doing the long OCI's that some manufacturers use is not the best thing to do.

Why would I care about 20.000miles claim by brand X when im allowed to run 15.000-18.000 on specification Y.

Last edited:

10,000 Mile Guarantee
This is Euro forum. Oil cannot be approved and conventional. It can’t since 1992!
Any regular o you refer to is not on par European approvals.
Approvals are minimum requirement. If oil is approved, it could very well exceed requirements, but that is irrelevant!

This is Euro forum. Oil cannot be approved and conventional. It can’t since 1992!
Any regular o you refer to is not on par European approvals.
Approvals are minimum requirement. If oil is approved, it could very well exceed requirements, but that is irrelevant!
Oh, you mentioned "Approvals" earlier so thought it would make more sense to you. Exceeding OEM requirements is not always irrelevant. Nice to have other options. I've only suggested Euro oils & linked the Mobil Euro 5w-40 above. It carries the exact same Euro approvals as the bottle in U.K. so appears to possibly be the same oil.

Oh, you mentioned "Approvals" earlier so thought it would make more sense to you. Exceeding OEM requirements is not always irrelevant. Nice to have other options. I've only suggested Euro oils & linked the Mobil Euro 5w-40 above. It carries the exact same Euro approvals as the bottle in U.K. so appears to possibly be the same oil.
How do you know oil exceeds requirements?

Back