Purolator Efficiency on Upgraded Oil Filters

And nobody has did an independent test on the Ultra to prove it's worse. People just assume it's worse because it doesn't have wire backed media anymore ... hardly scientific.

But hey ... oil filter efficiency doesn't really matter anyway, so it doesn't matter what the new Ultra performance is. 😄

I'm not worried about the wire backing as much as the fact that the new filter media was sprung on the public without warning and even Fram staff seemed to be unaware of the change immediately after it happened. It is unproven and only time will tell if it will end up being a reputable product and if so I will happily consider using it in the future. Until then I would prefer to use something that I can have a predictable expectation using. I don't like being a guinea pig consumer 🙂

bbhero: Great post. Quick question on your stats above regarding the 99.6 at 15 microns line.

Fram's website says the Fram Ultra Synthetic 20,000 mile oil filter is: 99+ efficiency > 20 microns (assuming that is your line #2 above).

I would like to buy the "OG Fram Ultra..." filter that you mention in your line # 3 above: 99.6% at 15 microns and 80% at 5 microns.
Can you supply more detail on that filter name or an Amazon or other link where it could be purchased?

Thanks,
Bill

Thank you Bill7...

I think my thoughts on that are pretty good.

I have run a lot of acceptable / good filters on my Nissan Altima VQ. Aka Napa and Wix Gold filters.

I have a Fram Titanium 7317 that is essentially a OG Fram Ultra... Before the changes brought about to the current one. If you want I can send it to you if you want it.

And wire backed is not el problemo here.

That doesn't mean it's not still a very good filter.

This new gen Fram Ultra is a very good filter.

It is. . 99% at 20 microns and 74 percent at 10 microns is very good.

I'm not worried about the wire backing as much as the fact that the new filter media was sprung on the public without warning and even Fram staff seemed to be unaware of the change immediately after it happened. It is unproven and only time will tell if it will end up being a reputable product and if so I will happily consider using it in the future. Until then I would prefer to use something that I can have a predictable expectation using. I don't like being a guinea pig consumer 🙂
No company has the obligation to "give customers a warning" that their product is changing. At least Fram did put out a notice about the change on their website.

The only thing I'm possibly concerned about is the robustness of the media in use. There was a YT video of a cut-open, and the guy pushed the media sideways with his fingers and it looked like it tore too easily to me. Time will tell, as the saying goes.

Last edited:
And probably figure out to to work "Delta P" and "Positive displacement oil pump" into the argument. :alien:
Yeah, the two other things that a lot of people don't quite grasp ... 😂

Last edited:
Kind of like saying wound cleanser and anti infective medication and medication that helps wound healing = Doesn't matter. . .
Not all medications are created equal ... but some here would say it doesn't matter at all what someone used to treat a wound or help a body heal. Thing is, those same people do look and buy what they think is the best product, so it becomes somewhat hyperbolic.

There's a difference between "making it" (whatever that really means) and if the engine will be in better shape at that point or not due to keeping the oil cleaner.
That is a valid point. What is your opinion about it?. Will the cleaner engine perform better and/or have less potential problems over its full life? And will that better performance, if any, be noticeable to the average driver? I am asking because I am really interested in knowing personally and not to indicate any disagreement.

Not all medications are created equal ... but some here would say it doesn't matter at all what someone used to treat a wound or help a body heal. Thing is, those same people do look and buy what they think is the best product, so it becomes somewhat hyperbolic.

And..

Unlike what many people want to hear....

Everyone is a individual. .

Who may respond well to one medication and not to another.

For this severe cut/ injury I'm using what I know works best for me.

Neosporin and Manuka medihoney and Nexcare waterproof bandages.

Someone else may need another type treatment of say silverdene etc...

As long as it works and is kept very very clean

Back to the filter stuff...

I have run a lot of good/ acceptable filters. Nothing wrong with them.

That is a valid point. What is your opinion about it?. Will the cleaner engine perform better and/or have less potential problems over its full life? And will that better performance, if any, be noticeable to the average driver? I am asking because I am really interested in knowing personally and not to indicate any disagreement.
All I can say is if an engine has less wear then it will most likely run better, have better power and better fuel mileage than one that is more worn. Of course, most people will say it doesn't matter because the car will get T-boned or rust out before it will wear out the engine. If I looked at everything like that I wouldn't care about anything, lol. Of course the oil filter is not the sole component to achieving the best maintenance to mitigate wear, but it is still a component of the trifecta equation of air filter, oil filter and motor oil mixed in with a decent maintenance schedule. If oil filtration wasn't really important then vehicles wouldn't even have an oil filter, or have substandard filtering like cars of many yesteryears. There are a lot of factors involved, but why throw any one of them out as not being important? Guess I just don't roll that way ... so what, who cares?

I keep my vehicles at least 10 year, more like 15-20 or maybe forever based on what it is - especially the way car prices are going these days. The bottom line is no matter what anyone thinks, cleaner oil will cause less wear. Nobody will ever prove that no wear difference occurs between oil that is cleaner vs not. I don't care if it's enough wear difference to tell a difference behind the wheel because like I've said before it will only cost a few more bucks to use a higher efficiency oil filter vs not. Buy one less Big Mac a year and you're "in like Flynn", lol.

Last edited:
All I can say is if an engine has less wear then it will most likely run better, have better power and better fuel mileage than one that is more worn. Of course, most people will say it doesn't matter because the car will get T-boned or rust out before it will wear out the engine. If I looked at everything like that I wouldn't care about anything, lol. Of course the oil filter is not the sole component to achieving the best maintenance to mitigate wear, but it is still a component of the trifecta equation of air filter, oil filter and motor oil mixed in with a decent maintenance schedule. If oil filtration wasn't really important then vehicles wouldn't even have an oil filter, or have substandard filtering like cars of many yesteryears. There are a lot of factors involved, but why throw any one of them out as not being important? Guess I just don't roll that way ... so what, who cares?

I keep my vehicles at least 10 year, more like 15-20 or maybe forever based on what it is - especially the way car prices are going these days. The bottom line is no matter what anyone thinks, cleaner oil will cause less wear. Nobody will ever prove that no wear difference occurs between oil that is cleaner vs not. I don't care if it's enough wear difference to tell a difference behind the wheel because like I've said before it will only cost a few more bucks to use a higher efficiency oil filter vs not. Buy one less Big Mac a year and you're "in like Flynn", lol.
Thanks. I truly appreciate your time and input. I personally have always preferred a filter that has good efficiency and is overall well constructed. And I have never minded spending extra money to do so. I was just asking out of curiosity to see if there will really be a noticeable difference in wear and performance based on the type of filter one chooses. Very appreciative of your knowledge and your willingness to share.

Less wear definitely=less oil burning (tighter bearing clearances), more power (better compression from less worn rings/cylinders), better valve timing (less chain wear), and less noise/blowby. What’s not to like? Yes, most vehicle’s engines will outlast their bodies-but that’s what good bodies from southern vehicles with blown engines are for!

⬆️ ... Cars don't rust out in my area, so I'm not worried about the body falling apart before the engine does.

Less wear definitely=less oil burning (tighter bearing clearances), more power (better compression from less worn rings/cylinders), better valve timing (less chain wear), and less noise/blowby. What’s not to like? Yes, most vehicle’s engines will outlast their bodies-but that’s what good bodies from southern vehicles with blown engines are for!
Thanks for the information.

From this thread and the multiple responses, I personally gained additional knowledge on the importance of selecting a well built filter but that also has the best possible micron rating. Thanks everyone. I value your participation and opinions.

To me, it calls into question the specified efficiencies (if there is such a thing) by OEMs. Mann+Hummel and Purolator filters are OEM in plenty of cars. Most German makes have Mann Filters as OEM, and most (every?) Motorcraft filter is a Purolator.

Less wear with finer filtration I'll accept, at least on paper, but is the reduction in wear measurable in the average internal combustion engine?
I agree that most, if not all, OEM filters are not highly efficient as are the Frams, Wix, and others. Good examples are Toyotas and Hondas. And yet, those are very reliable and long lasting engines. I doubt the average consumer will use anything other than OEM filters as they probably do most oil changes at the dealers. That is why I wonder if using a Purolator Boss for the life of an engine will actually cause any measurable wear difference as compared to OEM filters or even as compared to highly efficient aftermarket filters.

I was under the impression the Boss series would do pretty well - I’ve always thought of it has as a Mann fleece filter, as found on many Mercedes in a can rated for 15K.

Now that Fram cheapened the Ultra series - is there no “real” depth media on the automotive side of things?

Back