Purolator Efficiency on Upgraded Oil Filters

In conversation with Tech Service at Mann+Hummel today, I asked about the efficiency rating of their newer Purolator oil filters that are now upgraded for 10,000 miles for the basic red, 15,000 for the PurolatorOne and 20,000 for the PurolatorBoss. Regarding the filter numbers I asked about, he said the following:

PL14615 (PurolatorOne)

50% efficient at 11 micron

99% efficient at 26 micron

PBL14615 (PurolatorBoss)

50% efficient at 22 micron

99% efficient at 46 micron

Regarding filter number 14612 he said that for the Boss, it is the same as the 14615. He did not have current information for the 14612 PurolatorOne although He said it should be similar to the 14615.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
This is the thing that always scared me about the high mileage filters. Unless they made them larger to hold more material they would have to make them more porous to avoid clogging up sooner. Even with more pleats in the standard can they cant get 2 or 3 times the filter area in there.

This is the thing that always scared me about the high mileage filters. Unless they made them larger to hold more material they would have to make them more porous to avoid clogging up sooner. Even with more pleats in the standard can they cant get 2 or 3 times the filter area in there.

That's why the truly long OCI filters have used synthetic depth filtration media, which greatly increases the holding capacity.

Not really true, as long as they have full synthetic media they can hold far more than a conventional filter can. Look up "depth filtration", especially on an (OG/old style) Ultra, RP, Fleetguard Stratapore, Donaldson Blue, etc. Overkill types faster than me...

Ultra rated at 20K miles, so the holding capacity has to be very good. It's also very efficient. You can have both if the filter is designed right.

My scoring system here...

99% at 46 and 50% at 22 = no bueno.
Substandard in my opinion. Hastings filter is the same as this Boss 14612.

95% at 20 microns and 50% at 6 microns... Acceptable/ good performance. Old school Wix and Napa Gold filters.... And Fram EG too

99% at 20 microns and 74% at 10 microns = Very good performance. Current Fram Ultra.

99.6% at 15 microns and 80 % at 5 microns = Exceptional performance.... OG Fram Ultra...

To me, it calls into question the specified efficiencies (if there is such a thing) by OEMs. Mann+Hummel and Purolator filters are OEM in plenty of cars. Most German makes have Mann Filters as OEM, and most (every?) Motorcraft filter is a Purolator.

Less wear with finer filtration I'll accept, at least on paper, but is the reduction in wear measurable in the average internal combustion engine?

The Boss is 50% efficient at 22 micron and 99% efficient at 46 micron

Yet, at the bottom of Purolator's website page for the Boss (the giant PBL30001), it says this (99% @ 25u). Like said many times, the filter size can have an effect on the ISO efficiency.

1643081797194.png

Don't lose hope, Royal Purplei is here to save us

Don't lose hope, Royal Purple is here to save us 💜
I actually like the construction of the PurolatorBoss. Very strong media with plastic mesh, very clean glue, metal crimp on media ends. Just wish it had comparable efficiency to the Mobil1 and the Royal Purple. The Royal Purple is hard to find as opposed to Purolators.

Back